cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Best virus, spyware protection.

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
I know I will get varied answers but I am looking for opinions as to the best virus/spyware protection. I presently have BullGuard and it is time to renew, but I'm not sure it's the best for the money.
29 REPLIES 29

cleo43
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:

Even better is a Chromebook...

A+

I also use a PC.
I keep a copy my family pictures, music collection on a 6T external hard drive , connected to a power bar.
When I have to work with the external hard drive, before turning the
power on, I make sure that the Ethernet connection is off.
Wifi and bluetooth are banished in my house.
Talking about me, the paranoid !:)
If the hackers get me, I restore the cloned image of the OS (11G) - a
10 min job.

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
agesilaus wrote:
I've use most of the major brands over the years, and finally many were recommending just using the Win 10 built in AV software. Which I've been doing for over a year now with no problems.

I also agree with this . Assuming youโ€™re running Windows 10, the built in Defender is sufficient for most users. Looking online for reviews, youโ€™ll find that many tech guys agree. In the past, before becoming enlightened, I used paid products, the latest being Norton. Iโ€™m just relying on Defender now and have had no malware infections. There should be no need to pay for an A/V product.

For persons using a different OS, there are numerous free programs that have good reviews. For example, Iโ€™ve used Zone alarm (free) for a while. I donโ€™t recall Incurring any infections during the time I used it. Of course, the best anti-malware is the computer operator being careful on the Internet.
Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
free radical wrote:
Just dont open and delete any questionable emails no matter how oficial it may seem,get plenty o those such as Wallmart,ebay,Costco etc,,

I guess, by now, anyone who has not discovered this the easy way has found out the hard way.
I get more of these by text than by email. You would not believe thousands of dollars I have passed up and threat warnings I have ignored had in attempts to get me to open links. I have the IRS, local PD, FBI and CIA looking for me now.

NamMedevac_70
Explorer II
Explorer II
For many years starting with windows vista and an apple Imac I have successfully used windows/Microsoft antivirus and Malwarebytes and never had a problem with malware, viruses, etc. I also do Malicious Software Removal Tool (MRT) scans frequently. Always do full scans.

a long time ago I tried Norton and a few other bloated security suites and they bogged down my PC so I dumped them. Malawarebytes and my web browser so far protect me from a site trying to download PUPs and malware. I also check my router security settings frequently and use layered approach. Happy Trails to you.

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
pnichols wrote:
I use McAfee on my Windwos 10 laptop, two Android smartphones, one Apple iPad, and one Microsoft XP(!) desktop.

McAfee is very reliable, has constant updates for new protections, and is very simple to use on all my devices. I have a multiple device autopay annual subscription for it.

It rates high in all reviews I've read about it.

McAfee is notorious for making wifi connections unstable. It's also a frequent and inaccurate reporter of "expired security certificates" and blocking access to sites that it thinks have them. Both issues were so bad that the community college where I teach quit using McAfee. I also know several people who have had the same issues on their personal PCs.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer
I use Samsung Galaxy tablet that has Knox virus protection,never had any problems yet.
Just dont open and delete any questionable emails no matter how oficial it may seem,get plenty o those such as Wallmart,ebay,Costco etc,,
I dont deal with those places so its either Scam or worse..
As they say curiosity kiled the cat!

My phone is Blackberry that has most secure OS of all..
And I dont waste time answerin calls from anyone I dont know,just let it go to voicemail.
Life is good

mikestock wrote:

I'm certainly no expert but my understanding is running two real time virus protection systems at the same time causes problems.

Correct in many cases, though my understanding is that Malwarebytes (MB) was designed to work alongside other real-time AV protection. You may need to make a configuration change to avoid WIN 10 from disabling your other AV software in favor of MB. Once you do so, both apps should show up in Security Center as active.

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
mikestock wrote:
T18skyguy wrote:
For a long time I used both Bitdefender and Malwarebytes. I recently dropped Bitdefender and figure I'll give Microsoft Defender a shot. I've been hearing that it's much improved. I also run the paid Malwarebytes. It's my understanding that the difference between free and paid Malwarebytes is the paid version runs in real time and stops the threat before it gets into the system, while the free version has to be initiated by you after the fact. If I'm wrong about this guys help me out. I haven't had an infection in years(knock on wood).

I'm certainly no expert but my understanding is running two real time virus protection systems at the same time causes problems.

Right you are .... especially regarding having more than one type of firewall protection running at the same time. That's a no-no.

On my laptop, I disabled Windows firewall protection when I installed the McAfee computer protection suite.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
T18skyguy wrote:
For a long time I used both Bitdefender and Malwarebytes. I recently dropped Bitdefender and figure I'll give Microsoft Defender a shot. I've been hearing that it's much improved. I also run the paid Malwarebytes. It's my understanding that the difference between free and paid Malwarebytes is the paid version runs in real time and stops the threat before it gets into the system, while the free version has to be initiated by you after the fact. If I'm wrong about this guys help me out. I haven't had an infection in years(knock on wood).

AsheGuy
Explorer
Explorer
T18skyguy wrote:
I recently dropped Bitdefender and figure I'll give Microsoft Defender a shot. I've been hearing that it's much improved. I also run the paid Malwarebytes. It's my understanding that the difference between free and paid Malwarebytes is the paid version runs in real time and stops the threat before it gets into the system, while the free version has to be initiated by you after the fact..
Just where I am, except free AVG had been my choice for years. But now with MS built in protection and always on Malwarebytes I have not had a problem. I also use Gmail and its spam blocking is quite good at sorting out the chaff in email. But as mentioned, avoiding risky websites helps. Whatever, I haven't had anything compromised on any of my devices in years.
David & Margaret - 2005 LTV 210B 3S
- Our Blog -

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
Not knowing any better and knowing I got by OK with BullGuard I took the last minute renewal offer. I use free Malwarebytes also occasionally. Also use CCleaner.

IMO, you don't necessarily get better protection from paid security software vs free. As some of the top rated paid malware security apps mentioned here have had instance(s) of being hacked. Which can be dangerous as security software require elevated privileges to run, and can allow hackers admin rights to install and run malware if compromised.

You're better off having a layered approach to security, and keep your OS, browsers, and apps on your system updated with the latest security patches. Anti-virus/malware software is just one piece, and should not be your only protection.

coolmom42 wrote:
I use the built-in Windows protection suite ... Malwarebytes Free.

I also use the free Windows Defender as it's now rated near the top for malware protection by leading independent security organizations. A vast improvement when it's previous incarnations (Microsoft Security Essentials) was apparently rated at or near the bottom.

I also prefer using Malwarebytes Free for on-demand personal secondary scanning, though it ended up being banned at my organization which runs on a U.S. Gov network. As far as I know, due to unprofessional behavior by a Malwarebytes sales rep trying to force my central organization to purchase an enterprise wide license, when it apparently detected Malwarebytes Free being used on a some computers accessing our network? Not a wise move to have threatened our central support staff, as our chief desktop director promptly banned Malwarebytes use on all our organization computers worldwide, which if detected on our network is blocked and uninstalled by our SOC.

What a bummer as my unit purchased Malwarebytes business licenses for use on our own IT computers, and was our preferred supplemental security scanning tool. We can no longer use any Malwarebytes tools as units cannot bypass central IT policy.