Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: New project - 2016 AF 1140
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> New project - 2016 AF 1140

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
jshupe

FT

View Profile

Posted: 12/02/20 09:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Picked up a new to us 2016 AF 1140 WB in like new condition. Been busy planning and starting to execute our build.

[image]

My wife and I full time (mostly boondocking) in a fifth wheel and were looking to buy something that would allow us to travel more freely together (same vehicle) and into regions that are difficult to navigate with a 40'er in tow. This will be a supplement, not a replacement to our fiver and be used mostly for extended trips outside of the southwest. Probably 120 nights or so a year.

Our fifth wheel has 2925W of solar and 22.8kWh of LiFePO4. We wanted to go big with the TC as well, in order to run air conditioning and all systems without having to worry about power consumption. Since we already have large battery bank, we're going to move half the bank (3x80lb batteries) between the two rigs depending on which we're using. Saves a ton of money and can be done easily with a little prerequisite work and some Andersen connectors. With that in mind, we picked up everything to fabricate a raised aluminum rack over everything on the roof and cram 1800W of panels on top of the AF with room to spare for walking around up there and maintenance. Solar will be on and functioning around this time next week.

Also working on a folding deck on the rear. If anyone is interested in progress photos, I'll post some of the build here as it progresses.

2019 Ram 3500 HO/AISIN CCLB DRW Longhorn +
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 2.0T (follow TC toad) +
2015 Keystone Alpine 3730FB 2925W/22.8kWh, 30K multi-split +
2016 Arctic Fox 1140 WB 1800W/11.4kWh +
Parks and generators are last resorts

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 12/02/20 09:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Congrats. I'm sure people will be interested. Please post your progress.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Hankook DH-01 225/19.5 Fs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 12/02/20 09:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nice camper!
Be careful of the solar panels and low overheads. You’ll be over 13’ tall for sure.

Looks like you got it from the Northwest eh?

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

deltabravo

Spokane, WA

View Profile

Posted: 12/03/20 07:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A big rack covering everything on the roof could make it a tough camper to resell when the time comes.

You might consider doing this upgrade like I did on my 811 to reduce your height: low profile A/C or heat pump

2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2009 Arctic Fox 811 (bought new 11/9/09)
2018 Timber Ridge 24RLS (bought pre-owned 3/12/20)
2008 Haulmark 8.5x20 toy box trailer

deltabravo

Spokane, WA

View Profile

Posted: 12/03/20 07:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jshupe wrote:

...and some Andersen connectors.

I've been building my own battery cables which I show here using a some TemCO crimpers

I'm also in the middle of installing a Victron Multiplus 2000 in my recently acquired AF 992

jshupe

FT

View Profile

Posted: 12/03/20 08:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

Nice camper!
Be careful of the solar panels and low overheads. You’ll be over 13’ tall for sure.

Looks like you got it from the Northwest eh?

Thanks! Yep, up in Washington.

We'll only be adding approximately 1.25" to the total height, and I'm used to towing a 13'4" fifth wheel all over the place. I should only be around 12' tall. Camper is 9'4", bed height of the truck is 2'11", 1.25" for the rack and panels and subtract a couple inches for letting it squat onto the lower overloads.

* This post was last edited 12/03/20 01:23pm by jshupe *   View edit history

jshupe

FT

View Profile

Posted: 12/03/20 08:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

deltabravo wrote:

A big rack covering everything on the roof could make it a tough camper to resell when the time comes.

You might consider doing this upgrade like I did on my 811 to reduce your height: low profile A/C or heat pump

If I sell it, I'll just unbolt the uprights and take the rack off, leaving only the feet in place. Some people may not like the additional hardware on the roof, but others won't think too much of it or might want to build their own system up there. The feet are about $5 a piece and I'll have sixteen of them, so with sealant and stainless screws I'll be out around $100. They have butyl tape on the bottom and I use Chemlink M1 on the threads and rubber washers with Dicor on top of all the screws on all my installs. Then cover in Eternabond.

[image]

Every one in this thread is talking about height, but I'm only adding around 1.25" to the height due to the way the rack is designed.

* This post was edited 12/03/20 08:20am by jshupe *

jshupe

FT

View Profile

Posted: 12/03/20 08:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

deltabravo wrote:

jshupe wrote:

...and some Andersen connectors.

I've been building my own battery cables which I show here using a some TemCO crimpers

I'm also in the middle of installing a Victron Multiplus 2000 in my recently acquired AF 992

Nice. I have a hydraulic crimper and have done quite a few solar projects/ installs. This will be using a Victon Quattro 48/3000/35-50/50 for the inverter/charger. I have two of the same units in my fifth wheel with a couple autotransformers.

notsobigjoe

southeast

View Profile

Posted: 12/03/20 08:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sure is a beauty! how bout some inside pics?

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 12/03/20 09:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was not familiar with the 1140 model. I like that layout....with the “spacious” kitchen.
If you’re only adding about an inch to the height that ain’t bad.
AFAIK, all the older flat roof AF campers are the same height and the newer dome roofs are as well, but a few inches taller.
Ours was just over 12’ to top of AC on a stock height 3/4 ton Dodge with 34” tires. Would clear 12’ door with no air in the bags, so your measurements sound right.

Cool project.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> New project - 2016 AF 1140
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.