cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New project - 2016 AF 1140

n0arp
Explorer
Explorer
Picked up a new to us 2016 AF 1140 WB in like new condition. Been busy planning and starting to execute our build.

My wife and I full time (mostly boondocking) in a fifth wheel and were looking to buy something that would allow us to travel more freely together (same vehicle) and into regions that are difficult to navigate with a 40'er in tow. This will be a supplement, not a replacement to our fiver and be used mostly for extended trips outside of the southwest. Probably 120 nights or so a year.

Our fifth wheel has 2925W of solar and 22.8kWh of LiFePO4. We wanted to go big with the TC as well, in order to run air conditioning and all systems without having to worry about power consumption. Since we already have large battery bank, we're going to move half the bank (3x80lb batteries) between the two rigs depending on which we're using. Saves a ton of money and can be done easily with a little prerequisite work and some Andersen connectors. With that in mind, we picked up everything to fabricate a raised aluminum rack over everything on the roof and cram 1800W of panels on top of the AF with room to spare for walking around up there and maintenance. Solar will be on and functioning around this time next week.

Also working on a folding deck on the rear. If anyone is interested in progress photos, I'll post some of the build here as it progresses.
2000 Country Coach Magna 40',
4380W solar, 22.8kWh LiFePO4@48V, 450AH AGM@12V
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 2.0T, cloaked on 37x13.5s
39 REPLIES 39

n0arp
Explorer
Explorer
Done a lot of little things, but as far as big changes, I ordered the JC Refrigeration 120VAC compressor unit for the fridge today as well as an Air Head composting toilet.

Bought sound insulating material, a thick anti-vibration mat, and a muffler for the generator that are going on this weekend.

n0arp
Explorer
Explorer

Provisions to mount the tailgate on the underside of the deck added. I'm going to order the appropriate connectors when I can receive mail, to extend my tailgate wiring and get the factory backup camera working. Still clears the flat tow hardware by a few inches.

Got StableCampers installed as well. They take 80% of the shaking out, when off the truck.

Also added ten more legs to the roof rack - for a total of 28 legs each with four molly bolts, plus four more connections to the roof through existing mounts (2 to the luggage rack, 2 to the AC unit) for a total of 32 legs -- to hold five panels on. They didn't move before, so now we're into overkill territory. Each panel can be individually removed for access to the roof under it, by removing six 5/16 stainless bolts and eight #12 Teks screws. Doesn't take long at all but secures them well.

n0arp
Explorer
Explorer
Darryl&Rita wrote:
Nice! A friend of ours has the turbo 4, and really likes it. I was suspicious at first, thinking back to small turbo engines of the past and how "peacky" their power production could be, but his just crawls over everything. The rig is more capable than we were brave. Have fun with it.

Thanks. It's been great so far.

Darryl_Rita
Explorer
Explorer
Nice! A friend of ours has the turbo 4, and really likes it. I was suspicious at first, thinking back to small turbo engines of the past and how "peacky" their power production could be, but his just crawls over everything. The rig is more capable than we were brave. Have fun with it.
***UPDATE 2006 3500 SRW MegaCab pulling a 2007 fleetwood 5'er

n0arp
Explorer
Explorer
Darryl&Rita wrote:
Jealous of the JLUR. What driveline did you get?

2.0T with the ZF8. I really wanted a manual but it's my wife's, she wanted an auto, and I also wanted the 2.0T because we spend so much time at high elevation and if I recall correctly, those are auto only. The ZF8 is actually the best auto I've ever driven.

Really wish the TD was available when we were in the market. They were announced but impossible to get without special order w/ long wait - and no rebates or incentives on those at the time.

Darryl_Rita
Explorer
Explorer
Jealous of the JLUR. What driveline did you get?
***UPDATE 2006 3500 SRW MegaCab pulling a 2007 fleetwood 5'er

n0arp
Explorer
Explorer
Received StableCampers which will be going on this week, and still waiting on some more aluminum to fab up ten additional brackets (each with four expanding anchors into the roof) for the solar rack, even though it doesn't move at all as it is. Would definitely rather be safe than sorry there.

n0arp
Explorer
Explorer
Geo*Boy wrote:
Just curious, how much will the porch weigh with the tailgate attached? Also how will you get into the camper with the toad hooked up, i.e. lunch break or bathroom break?

Porch weighs around 75lbs. I haven't weighed the tailgate, but a rough estimate based on feel says 60lbs. The brackets I'm going to make to support it will weigh around a pound, and a couple pounds for ratcheting ties to secure it in place. Total for everything will probably be shy of 150lbs.

The deck can fold down (sans stairs) to allow access with the Jeep connected. We can climb in but for now have to use the bumper of the Jeep as a step, unless or until I rig something else up (probably won't bother).

Geo_Boy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just curious, how much will the porch weigh with the tailgate attached? Also how will you get into the camper with the toad hooked up, i.e. lunch break or bathroom break?

n0arp
Explorer
Explorer
Bolted some magnets to my license plate, then cut two 12x6 sheets of 16ga steel. Put one on the back of the truck and one on the TC. Move the license plate around as needed. A few other little things...

Anyway, here is an updated pic:

Next step is to get ahold of another step for the Stow N' Go steps, and build a tailgate holder on the underside of the deck, so I can take it with me.

Also getting everything set up to flat tow our JLUR.

Truck has the factory (non-air) spring pack. Air Lift 7500XL bags and Hellwig sway bar. With the bags at 5psi, handles perfectly.

n0arp
Explorer
Explorer
jimh425 wrote:
Fwiw, I was more concerned with the battery weight in a compartment that was designed for that weight. Either way, I thought you said you had 6 batteries which would be significantly more in one compartment.

For the solar panels, itโ€™s the amount of uplift going down the road that I was thinking about. Of course, if you drive slow most of the time or arenโ€™t in wind, that wouldnโ€™t be an issue at all.

Any way, have fun.

Six batteries is what we own, total - we split the bank, put them all on Andersen connectors, and only plan to carry three in this. I added a 3/4" ply panel under the batteries, and used some strips of 1x4" to add additional bracing to the underside going all the way to the floor. The weight should be distributed very well.

Same thing with the forces on the rack - having multiple connection points spreads out the load and keeps any one area from being overwhelmed. Hopefully enough to keep from causing any damages - so far, so good, though I only have a twenty minute highway test drive on it. The rack was modeled after a friend's design that has worked for thousands of miles on his fifth wheel.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Fwiw, I was more concerned with the battery weight in a compartment that was designed for that weight. Either way, I thought you said you had 6 batteries which would be significantly more in one compartment.

For the solar panels, itโ€™s the amount of uplift going down the road that I was thinking about. Of course, if you drive slow most of the time or arenโ€™t in wind, that wouldnโ€™t be an issue at all.

Any way, have fun.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

n0arp
Explorer
Explorer
jimh425 wrote:
Thanks for posting your progress, Iโ€™m interested to know if the frame stays together with the extra weight of the batteries and the wind catcher you added on top.

Have you had a chance to weigh the setup yet?

The three batteries weigh 240lbs (80lbs/ea), the solar panels around 200lbs (40lbs/ea), and the rest of the solar components and rack bring the total for the solar to around 600lbs.

Haven't weighed the whole rig yet. Right now should be about dry weight + 600lbs for solar and less than 100lbs for the deck and stairs.

Adding 700lbs shouldn't affect the frame at all. There are lots of raised racks like this out there on fifth wheels - with no frame issues that I'm aware of and I know some actual users. The AF frame is better built than most of those, so I don't expect any frame issues.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Thanks for posting your progress, Iโ€™m interested to know if the frame stays together with the extra weight of the batteries and the wind catcher you added on top.

Have you had a chance to weigh the setup yet?

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member