Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: New project - 2016 AF 1140
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> New project - 2016 AF 1140

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev
jshupe

FT

View Profile

Posted: 12/20/20 06:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bolted some magnets to my license plate, then cut two 12x6 sheets of 16ga steel. Put one on the back of the truck and one on the TC. Move the license plate around as needed. A few other little things...

Anyway, here is an updated pic:

[image]

Next step is to get ahold of another step for the Stow N' Go steps, and build a tailgate holder on the underside of the deck, so I can take it with me.

Also getting everything set up to flat tow our JLUR.

Truck has the factory (non-air) spring pack. Air Lift 7500XL bags and Hellwig sway bar. With the bags at 5psi, handles perfectly.

2019 Ram 3500 HO/AISIN CCLB DRW Longhorn
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 2.0T (follow or TC toad)
2015 Keystone Alpine 3730FB 2925W/22.8kWh, 30K multi-split
2016 Arctic Fox 1140 WB 1800W/11.4kWh

Geo*Boy

Unknown

View Profile

Posted: 12/20/20 08:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just curious, how much will the porch weigh with the tailgate attached? Also how will you get into the camper with the toad hooked up, i.e. lunch break or bathroom break?

jshupe

FT

View Profile

Posted: 12/21/20 12:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Geo*Boy wrote:

Just curious, how much will the porch weigh with the tailgate attached? Also how will you get into the camper with the toad hooked up, i.e. lunch break or bathroom break?

Porch weighs around 75lbs. I haven't weighed the tailgate, but a rough estimate based on feel says 60lbs. The brackets I'm going to make to support it will weigh around a pound, and a couple pounds for ratcheting ties to secure it in place. Total for everything will probably be shy of 150lbs.

The deck can fold down (sans stairs) to allow access with the Jeep connected. We can climb in but for now have to use the bumper of the Jeep as a step, unless or until I rig something else up (probably won't bother).

[image]

* This post was edited 12/21/20 12:14pm by jshupe *

jshupe

FT

View Profile

Posted: 12/21/20 12:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Received StableCampers which will be going on this week, and still waiting on some more aluminum to fab up ten additional brackets (each with four expanding anchors into the roof) for the solar rack, even though it doesn't move at all as it is. Would definitely rather be safe than sorry there.

Darryl&Rita

Grande Prairie, Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 12/21/20 05:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jealous of the JLUR. What driveline did you get?

***UPDATE 2006 3500 SRW MegaCab pulling a 2007 fleetwood 5'er

jshupe

FT

View Profile

Posted: 12/21/20 05:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Darryl&Rita wrote:

Jealous of the JLUR. What driveline did you get?

2.0T with the ZF8. I really wanted a manual but it's my wife's, she wanted an auto, and I also wanted the 2.0T because we spend so much time at high elevation and if I recall correctly, those are auto only. The ZF8 is actually the best auto I've ever driven.

Really wish the TD was available when we were in the market. They were announced but impossible to get without special order w/ long wait - and no rebates or incentives on those at the time.

Darryl&Rita

Grande Prairie, Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 12/22/20 11:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nice! A friend of ours has the turbo 4, and really likes it. I was suspicious at first, thinking back to small turbo engines of the past and how "peacky" their power production could be, but his just crawls over everything. The rig is more capable than we were brave. Have fun with it.

jshupe

FT

View Profile

Posted: 12/22/20 11:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Darryl&Rita wrote:

Nice! A friend of ours has the turbo 4, and really likes it. I was suspicious at first, thinking back to small turbo engines of the past and how "peacky" their power production could be, but his just crawls over everything. The rig is more capable than we were brave. Have fun with it.

Thanks. It's been great so far.

jshupe

FT

View Profile

Posted: 12/28/20 08:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[image]

Provisions to mount the tailgate on the underside of the deck added. I'm going to order the appropriate connectors when I can receive mail, to extend my tailgate wiring and get the factory backup camera working. Still clears the flat tow hardware by a few inches.

Got StableCampers installed as well. They take 80% of the shaking out, when off the truck.

Also added ten more legs to the roof rack - for a total of 28 legs each with four molly bolts, plus four more connections to the roof through existing mounts (2 to the luggage rack, 2 to the AC unit) for a total of 32 legs -- to hold five panels on. They didn't move before, so now we're into overkill territory. Each panel can be individually removed for access to the roof under it, by removing six 5/16 stainless bolts and eight #12 Teks screws. Doesn't take long at all but secures them well.

* This post was edited 12/28/20 08:39am by jshupe *

jshupe

FT

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/21 07:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Done a lot of little things, but as far as big changes, I ordered the JC Refrigeration 120VAC compressor unit for the fridge today as well as an Air Head composting toilet.

Bought sound insulating material, a thick anti-vibration mat, and a muffler for the generator that are going on this weekend.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> New project - 2016 AF 1140
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.