Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: inspection
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> inspection

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
machunt

cincinnati ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/03/20 05:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When buying used class A i read alot about getting a certified inspector. this makes sense. but how many of hired a inspector multiple times before buying? are the worth the fee,s

phillyg

SWFL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/03/20 05:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I haven't seen much at all about hiring paid inspectors here or on the other two RV sites I visit. If you can be your own handyman around your house, I'd suggest you pull up one of the PDI checklists here and do your own inspection.

--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

Lwiddis

Monterey, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/03/20 05:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A pro inspection is absolutely worth the money. I recommend you “pre-inspect” before hiring a pro but that requires you to educate yourself, make a checklist etc.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flag pole. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist14 yr. Army vet-11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

wolfe10

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 12/03/20 07:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Someone familiar with what you are looking at (chassis, drive train as well as house) look over your potential next coach is one of the best investments you can make.

To make the experience worthwhile, YOU need to be there, wearing old clothes so you can "see what he sees". He can put your hands on that chaffed hose, can show you what electrical connections need to be cleaned/tightened.

There are many things that can not be covered in a written report. Without knowing your skill and interest level (vs I just right a check for it), he can not help guide you on what needs to be done right now/what can wait. What is within your skill set and interest level and what should be hired out.

Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

Scottiemom

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 12/04/20 05:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My one motorhome is for sale and the potential buyer hired an inspector to go over it. He was here for FIVE hours checking everything. The worst he found was an expired fire extinguisher and propane detector (still working but out of date) and the roof needed recaulked.

What I wished I had done was inquired about procedures. I had just had the carpet cleaned and he rolled up all my throw rugs and walked on the beige carpet the entire 5 hours. Then when he examined the engine through the floor in the bedroom, he placed his grimy hand on the white mattress to get back up off the floor. Grrrrr. I would have insisted that while in the coach he wear "footies" and place barriers where he intended to touch, just like the guys at the service centers do. Very unprofessional.

He took a small sample of engine oil for analysis, but it was okay.

Dale

Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

2014 Ford Flex
2004 R-Vision Trail-lite 213 (MinnieMee)
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/
Where are we?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> inspection
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.