cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

inspection

machunt
Explorer
Explorer
When buying used class A i read alot about getting a certified inspector. this makes sense. but how many of hired a inspector multiple times before buying? are the worth the fee,s
4 REPLIES 4

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
My one motorhome is for sale and the potential buyer hired an inspector to go over it. He was here for FIVE hours checking everything. The worst he found was an expired fire extinguisher and propane detector (still working but out of date) and the roof needed recaulked.

What I wished I had done was inquired about procedures. I had just had the carpet cleaned and he rolled up all my throw rugs and walked on the beige carpet the entire 5 hours. Then when he examined the engine through the floor in the bedroom, he placed his grimy hand on the white mattress to get back up off the floor. Grrrrr. I would have insisted that while in the coach he wear "footies" and place barriers where he intended to touch, just like the guys at the service centers do. Very unprofessional.

He took a small sample of engine oil for analysis, but it was okay.

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Someone familiar with what you are looking at (chassis, drive train as well as house) look over your potential next coach is one of the best investments you can make.

To make the experience worthwhile, YOU need to be there, wearing old clothes so you can "see what he sees". He can put your hands on that chaffed hose, can show you what electrical connections need to be cleaned/tightened.

There are many things that can not be covered in a written report. Without knowing your skill and interest level (vs I just right a check for it), he can not help guide you on what needs to be done right now/what can wait. What is within your skill set and interest level and what should be hired out.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
A pro inspection is absolutely worth the money. I recommend you โ€œpre-inspectโ€ before hiring a pro but that requires you to educate yourself, make a checklist etc.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

phillyg
Explorer II
Explorer II
I haven't seen much at all about hiring paid inspectors here or on the other two RV sites I visit. If you can be your own handyman around your house, I'd suggest you pull up one of the PDI checklists here and do your own inspection.
--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD