cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2019 NISSAN PATHFINDER

Oasisbob
Explorer
Explorer
Searching for a new used tow behicle and am considering the Nissan Pathfinder 4 wheel drive which has a tow rating of 6,000. My research indicates reliability, parts cost and service are lower than our other choices which were Ford Explorer, Dodge Durango. Some raise concerns about the CVT transmission failing which seems to be atributed to running in the wrong transmission mode. Is anyone towing with this rig and what is your opinion? Thanks
Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife 3 of 4 kids at home. 1 proudly serving in USAF
2018 Ford Explorer
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS:)
11 REPLIES 11

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Bob, friends don’t let friends tow with CVT cars.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
kellem wrote:
A Durango with the 5.7 Hemi would prove a formidable TV......gas mileage? Ehh

I think an Ecodiesel Durango would be a great tow vehicle with terrific mpg. I'm not a Mopar guy but I wonder if that motor has a future in the Durango.
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
A Durango with the 5.7 Hemi would prove a formidable TV......gas mileage? Ehh

parker_rowe
Explorer
Explorer
Bionic Man wrote:
Of the three vehicles you listed, the Durango is far and away the best tow vehicle. And I would argue it makes a very good DD as well. Skip the V6, and find a Hemi.

This is my feeling as well.

A Durango would be a perfect fit as a tow vehicle for the camper you have listed. Either engine will do the job, the 3.6 V6 will need some rpms on the hills though. I would choose the Hemi if I was buying it, but we have the same V6 in our van and it's a good engine. I know the price jumps for the V8.

Just make sure it has whatever cooling/tow package they offer.

A long time friend of mine is a mechanic at a Nissan dealer. He has replaced a lot of CVT's. I would not buy one for towing. Which is a shame because we have had a lot of good luck with earlier Nissans (Sentra and Xterra).
2015 Starcraft TravelStar 239TBS 6500 GVWR
1997 GMC Suburban K2500 7.4 Vortec/4.10
1977 Kawasaki KZ1000

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Of the three vehicles you listed, the Durango is far and away the best tow vehicle. And I would argue it makes a very good DD as well. Skip the V6, and find a Hemi.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

ggardne2
Explorer
Explorer
Transmsission engineers have dreamed of the perfect belt drive CVT for years ... you are trying to control a steel on steel friction interface between belt and two sets of variators. Both parts have to be heat treated to very high hardness and the variator surfaces need to be ground and polished to a tightly controlled surface finsih specificaiton. You put a very high pressure pump on the transmission and use hydraulc pressure to set clamping force and always make sure that you don't undershoot on force because the slightest slip of the belt destroys the variator surface. My opinion, the perfect belt drive CVT doesn't exist. The only CVT I care for is the hybrid powersplit designs used by Ford and Toyota as they use a gear set and electric generator to set ratio.

My first rule is real automatic transmissions have a torque converter, at least one one way-clutch, and transfer torque via planetary gear sets.

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
We looked at a Pathfinder, and they look great, and the interiors are awesome. My wife was ready to take it home on the spot, and googling Pathfinder problems found all kinds of tranny issues.
They weren’t holding up under normal use. No way I’d tow with one.
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
DO NOT count on that CVT to tow your trailer reliably! The belts just can't tolerate much heat from the belt-to-pulley interface. They've gotten around this simply by making it go into limp mode at any sign of temps climbing. Stick with a regular torque-converter automatic for towing.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

Oasisbob
Explorer
Explorer
Google research tells a lengthy tale of CVT transmission woe's within the Nissan line beginning in 2000. Nissan extended the warranty for many who suffered tranny issues. I can find no current info however. One would hope the problem is resolved but I am not sure. Since I will be towing 3,600 pounds , if I buy, I will be also buying the extended warranty which is cheaper than same for Ford Explorer or Ranger. Makes me wonder if it is still a problem?
Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife 3 of 4 kids at home. 1 proudly serving in USAF
2018 Ford Explorer
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS:)

Tyler0215
Explorer
Explorer
Google Nissan CVT problems.

fx2tom
Explorer
Explorer
Nissan CVT transmissions are terrible. I wouldn't tow with one in any situation. We have one in DW's Infiniti QX50 and we cannot wait until that lease is up. The rest of the car is amazing but that CVT kills it. We leased it instead of buying because of the CVT.
2002 Ford F250 Lariat 7.3l 4x4 CCSB
2007 Forest River Sierra Sport M-26FBSP