cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New F350 Tremor with a SB Camper

Fish_mojo
Explorer
Explorer
Thinking about getting a new Ford Lariat F-350 CC SB SRW with the 7.3 gas engine. The Tremor package has 18” wheels with 35” Duratrac tires, 2” factory lift, 4.30 gears, and off-road springs and shocks. I think this will come in with around 3600 pound payload.

Do you think you could safely put a 8-11 Northern Lite camper on this? Actual dry weight 2715.
26 REPLIES 26

hedge
Explorer
Explorer
I'm sure Op is long gone but in case not I actually have a Tremor so thought maybe I could offer some real world info.

-Payload sticker on my 2020 F350 with 7.3 gas engine and KR trim is 3647, You can get a higher payload with a lower trim model.

-RAWR is slightly reduced at 6950 vs 7230 I believe for non-tremor. I suspect this is because of the slightly softer springs.

-Tire rating is good at 4067 each

-It actually doesn't have a 2" lift, that's Ford marketing it's actually 1/2" taller coil springs in the front and the other 1.5" is from the diameter of the tires

-It is not available with camper package as that would include the rear sway bar which is detrimental to the off-road nature of the truck. The front sway bar is also a smaller diameter for more articulation.

I actually do plan to carry my 89RB on this truck. It has a higher payload than my 2012 that carried it fine. I expect I'll be close to RAWR. I have air bags to accommodate for the softer springs. Trying to avoid adding the sway bar but may have to.
2017 F350 Platinum DRW
2013 Adventurer 89RB

markchengr
Explorer
Explorer
Bad idea to use a truck with a lift kit to carry a camper. Raises the center of gravity making it more tippy, increases sway and it hits 2 more inches of low hanging branches. Been there done that, you won't be happy.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Last time I check camper package with Ford was stronger FRONT anti-sway bar and that's it.

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
The Tremor and Camper package both include specialized spring packs for their respective packages.

Odds are Ford does not produce a spring pack that does both, which is why you can't get both packages on the same truck.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
stevenal wrote:
Fish mojo wrote:

The option selector on the Ford website would not let me select the camper option without kicking me out of the Tremor package, which I really want.

I couldn't get my desired build out of the website either. No problem at the dealership.

That's most likely Ford's restrictions.
I wanted King Ranch option, when ordering my Ford dually back in 2016, but they wouldn't do it with supercab. I had very good salesman working with me, but he couldn't do anything about it.
Had to settle for Lariat.
Same way ordering electric cabin heater automatically kicked me into dual alternators, what is stupid IMHO, but no way around it.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Fish mojo wrote:
Thinking about getting a new Ford Lariat F-350 CC SB SRW with the 7.3 gas engine. The Tremor package has 18” wheels with 35” Duratrac tires, 2” factory lift, 4.30 gears, and off-road springs and shocks. I think this will come in with around 3600 pound payload.

Do you think you could safely put a 8-11 Northern Lite camper on this? Actual dry weight 2715.

Absolutely, just have to stiffen up the rear suspension since it’s softer on the Tremor.
But the “Tremor” package is largely bling and marketing (at a significant mark up) to attract the impressionable consumer.
(And a really cheezy name, but I digress)

On another note, lifts and heavy TCs don’t get along the best. So regardless of the additional cost of the Trrrrremor, you’re getting a truck that is less ideal for TC hauling.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Nv Guy wrote:
What the dealer says they can order and what Ford will actually build are two different things.
The 2020 order guide states the following-specifically "Not Available With":

CAMPER PACKAGE (471)
Availability:
? Optional on XL, XLT, Lariat and King Ranch®, Platinum (DRW)
Not available with:
? 20" Wheels and Tires
? Pickup Box Delete (66D)
? Heavy-Service Front Suspension Package (67H)
?Tremor Off-Road Package (17Y)

Maybe you get lucky and it slips thru, but I wouldn't bet the farm on it.

Just an observation, but recently some on here were touting (on F150s iirc) how “20” wheels” are stronger and that’s why they are on the HDPP trucks.....
Shows that rim size is generally not part of the equation based on the above.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

JD5150
Explorer
Explorer
I would order a F350 spec it out they way you want with rear locker. Put a 2 inch level kit and 35's on it. You can even upgrade the suspension to icon and still have less money in it than the Tremor package and it will ride better than a Tremor. If you research it on the Ford forums there is not much to the Tremor suspension

Nv_Guy
Explorer III
Explorer III
What the dealer says they can order and what Ford will actually build are two different things.
The 2020 order guide states the following-specifically "Not Available With":

CAMPER PACKAGE (471)
Availability:
? Optional on XL, XLT, Lariat and King Ranch®, Platinum (DRW)
Not available with:
? 20" Wheels and Tires
? Pickup Box Delete (66D)
? Heavy-Service Front Suspension Package (67H)
?Tremor Off-Road Package (17Y)

Maybe you get lucky and it slips thru, but I wouldn't bet the farm on it.

stevenal
Nomad
Nomad
Fish mojo wrote:

The option selector on the Ford website would not let me select the camper option without kicking me out of the Tremor package, which I really want.

I couldn't get my desired build out of the website either. No problem at the dealership.
'18 Bigfoot 1500 Torklifts and Fastguns
'17 F350 Powerstroke Supercab SRW LB 4X4

Fish_mojo
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the feedback. As “Kewl” as the Tremor package looks, it’s not a good fit for a full size TC. Maybe a pop up, but not a hard side.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Of course, we all carry different amounts. When I had my SRW, I watched what I carried and never carried a full load of water, for instance.

Other than going to a scale, there’s no way to know what the TC will weigh with “his” stuff. But, I agree that many people end up being way heavier than they think they will be.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

kohldad
Explorer
Explorer
Off road suspension means SOFT, it is designed to articulate and float over the whoopties, go with a truck designed for heavy loads instead.

The soft springs is exactly my first thought. Remember while payload is one number in the calculation, you also need to take into consideration the Center of Gravity. A TC is a lot different than a pallet of blocks because the Center of Gravity is much higher for the camper. So not only are you adding the soft springs, but also several inches between the tires and lift.

While you say SB camper, that doesn't necessary mean a light weight camper. Then you also need to figure out any accessories you add to the truck along with all the junk you through in the camper including water, batteries, propane, food, clothing, bedding, etc which all adds up. Oh and lastly add in the people and pets you are carrying. This all adds up quickly. In my Lance 815 which is designed for a short bed camper with a dry weight of 1,800# everything including one person weighed out at 3,500#!
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Kayteg1 wrote:
Here we go again with payload misinformation.

Who gave the payload misinformation. I can’t seem to find it in the previous posts.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member