cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Water (rain) leak in front window upper gasket

blazenpm
Explorer
Explorer
I own a 2016 Forrest River Georgetown XL. It has a no seam front window with a single gasket. The gasket has a couple of leaks over the passenger side. I applied silicone to gasket but did not stop. I have had professional RV repairmen recommend to reseal the gasket OR pull the window and reseal the gasket to the window then to the motorhome. The estimate cost for the later was $500.00. I haven't been able to confirm if they are bonded in case the window breaks. The window might cost around $3000.00 to replace. What would those that have experience and knowledge suggest. Thanks
11 REPLIES 11

GREGORYJ
Explorer
Explorer
My one piece RV windshield leaked in a couple of areas driving in the rain at highway speeds. It wasn't easy to find but it turned out to be leaking between the glass and the rubber seal it sits in. I pulled the spacer strip out of the groove on the outside of the rubber seal, pulled the seal up enough to apply some non silicon window caulking between the glass and the rubber seal. This did not work at all, the first time driving at 60 mph in rain it still seeped in between the rubber seal and the glass. Googling more found recommendations to use red rubber grease between rubber and glass. So I cleaned out all the caulking and smeared in the red rubber grease. One year later and no leaks.
It's hard to find , mostly available in the UK. I used Millars Oils version but also available from Sealey

http://www.thelastgreatadventure.com/archives/2018/02/looking-after-your-rubber-with-red-rubber-grease/
Ellen & Greg
08 National Dolphin DL-35Ci, Kelderman Air Ride, Rear Trac Bar
Workhorse W22, RoadMaster Rear Sway Bar, Towing 08 Smart Car

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
The windshield on our 2012 Georgetown also leaks. The glass is not bonded, but installed with a gasket. It's not the marker lights as you can see the water running around the windshield gasket. I resealed it at the end of last year and it no longer leaks. Eventually I will have it pulled to reseal it. But it has a repaired rock chip in it and I'm sure it will crack once it gets removed. We have full glass coverage so when it gets a big crack it will get repaired.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Bruce_Brown
blazenpm wrote:
It is pretty clear to see that it is seeping in and around the gasket to the inside of the window.

It very well may be, but I agree with crawford, I'd reseal the marker lights first. Very, very common for them to leak - and look like something else.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

BrianinMichigan
Explorer
Explorer
A temporary fix that I did was to take some 2" electrical tape and go around the window. Looks like it was part of the seal.
1990 GEORGIE BOY 28' 454 4BBL, TURBO 400 TRANS,
CAMPING: WHERE YOU SPEND A SMALL FORTUNE TO LIVE LIKE A HOMELESS PERSON.

blazenpm
Explorer
Explorer
It is pretty clear to see that it is seeping in and around the gasket to the inside of the window.

blazenpm
Explorer
Explorer
drsteve wrote:
Forget the RV repairmen. Take it to a glass shop and have them reseal it.

I contacted all of the auto glass repair shops that the RV dealers referred me to. They all weasled out of the job sounds like they were not very experienced at removing and reinstalling a large single front window.

Fulltimers
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™ve heard where the clearance lights above the windshield can leak and look like a windshield leak.
Fulltimers
Fulltimers Weblog

2003 Rexhall Aerbus 3550BSL
W-22 Workhorse
2005 Saturn Vue (Mr. Toad)
3.5L V6 Automatic

crawford
Explorer
Explorer
are you very sure its there and not in the front cap leaking down inside to where it's leaking.
Change from a c class to a A class Georgetown 07 triple slide

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
About 12 years ago our 96 Southwind started leaking around the left windshield.
I took it to a glass shop that did RV's for a local dealer.
They pulled both windshields, cleaned the area and reinstalled the windshields using the original gasket with sufficient sealant.
They said not enough sealant was used when the RV was built.
I still have the Southwind and the windshield(s) have never leaked again.
They charged $300.00 for the service. I don't know what it would cost today.
Possibly, removing the windshield is the only way to do it right?

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
drsteve wrote:

I agree, take it to a glass shop, but they will likely want to pull the windshield.

If it has been leaking for any amount of time, the area under the windshield MUST BE PROPERLY REPAIRED, primed and painted.

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP