cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Attaching a satellite to the top of a TT

rollindownthero
Explorer II
Explorer II
Does anyone know of a way I can attach a Dish Playmaker satellite to the top of my TT without attaching it permanently? I am going to be in an RV park for a long a term period. Want to have the satellite out all the time but worried it might get stolen. Is there any way I can attach it to the top of the TT to keep the wind from blowing it off but it would more out of sight? I don't want to attach it permanently.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions.
21 REPLIES 21

Diamond_c
Nomad
Nomad
Ok that makes better sense.

badsix
Explorer
Explorer
Diamond c wrote:
Do I understand correctly that the satellite must have an unrestricted view of the southern sky? We have stayed in a few places that that would not work, but if it was mobile it would.

i have a socket on the front that the stand fits, this way i have 180 deg. at the back and 180 deg. at the front. so i have access to them where ever they are. also have a small cable that loops the receiver to the bumper, not much of a theft deterrent but might slow down a beginner.
Jay D.

Diamond_c
Nomad
Nomad
Do I understand correctly that the satellite must have an unrestricted view of the southern sky? We have stayed in a few places that that would not work, but if it was mobile it would.

badsix
Explorer
Explorer
Can i edit and make the picture smaller? i have a socket on the front so if the satellites are in that direction.
Jay D.

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
badsix idea looks like a good one. The picture is to big but, the moount looks good.

badsix
Explorer
Explorer
i did this, i can store the pole in my storage compartment and it also fits on the front if the satellites are that way. i can lock it down to the bumper with a small cable.
Jay D.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
MKirkland wrote:
I wonder if that sat connection can be corrected. I had a professional put in the kit, but maybe your problem might be an easy cable fix.

Anything is possible if you toss enough money and time at it.

From HERE sounds like it is a common problem.

The connections on the outside may be mislabeled if you have on marked CATV and One SAT, try switching connections you are using.

If you have a BOB (box of buttons) you could disconnect the CATV coax from the box and see if you can use the CATV jack..

Or the simplest and low cost way, just run a short separate dedicated coax from your receiver to a new dedicated Sat jack on the side that you install.. Yep, in this case you will need to drill through and place a jack on the wall but at least it will be done and working.

Unless you have a hundred feet of coax, one extra coax connection won't hurt operation at all.

MKirkland
Explorer
Explorer
I wonder if that sat connection can be corrected. I had a professional put in the kit, but maybe your problem might be an easy cable fix.

rollindownthero
Explorer II
Explorer II
On my trailer there is an outside connection labeled Satellite and another right next to it labeled Cable. I've tried connecting the satellite cable to both and it doesn't work on either one. Don't know if there is a splitter or not, just know that it doesn't work. On the inside of the trailer there is a connection for the antenna that's on the roof, that works, as I used it prior to getting the satellite. There is another connection on the wall, it's not marked. I assume it's for either satellite or cable.

I'll have to check on getting the kit to put in the wall. Would be so much easier than running the cable through the entry door.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Some trailers have a dedicated satellite connection with no splitter, if there is just one cable connection, it may or may not have a splitter.

MKirkland
Explorer
Explorer
I got the kit from the RV maintenance people. It's not fancy, just a bar that goes through the wall of the trailer with a. Plug in on each end for coax. The outer plug in has a screw on for the weather when you are not using it. Trailer is in storage now so I can't take a picture.

1ed
Explorer
Explorer
Dish receivers have to be DIRECTLY connected to the Satellite Antenna.
All of the connections on the trailers go thru a splitter that makes the receiver not work.
What I did was use the outside TV connection where the TV is mounted and took that connection apart and used one of the cables for a direct connection for the receiver. Took about 15 minutes to complete.

rollindownthero
Explorer II
Explorer II
MKirkland: Where do you get the kit?

MKirkland
Explorer
Explorer
I have the tailgater and had the same connection problem. I really got tired of running the cable through the window. There is a way to bypass the cable up in the port with better better cable. I elected not to do that. Instead, I had my maintenance person just run a connection from the outside of the trailer to the inside, close to where the receiver is. It works great and there is a kit for doing it.