Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Around the Campfire: Who writes these headlines?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire

> Who writes these headlines?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
bucky

Raleigh metro

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/06/20 03:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On this mornings news, recall issued for candle on fire hazard. Duh!

2005 Cummins 3500 2WD LB quad cab dually pulling a 2014 Blue Ridge 3025RL

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 12/06/20 04:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

They're probably written by the same type of people who require warnings on the bottle to tell you not to drink bleach.
Or, putting your hand on a running saw blade can be harmful.
Or, an ad selling driving gloves tells you the new Corvette in the background is not included in the $19.99 price of the gloves.
We live in a CYA world.

K Charles

Connecticut

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/06/20 06:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The one I saw last night was a recall for a candle in a jar. When the jar got hot it would shatter the glass. My question is who makes this stuff?

WNYBob

Tonawanda, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/06/20 07:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's the same people the forced McD's to pit a warning on Coffee cups stating that they were hot, after they won a court case of some one that got their lap burned.
This country is trying to "protect" people from the lack of common sense!
IMHO

Etstorm

Frankston,TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/06/20 07:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The problem is “ common sense” is not very common anymore!

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 12/06/20 08:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

WNYBob wrote:

It's the same people the forced McD's to pit a warning on Coffee cups stating that they were hot, after they won a court case of some one that got their lap burned.
This country is trying to "protect" people from the lack of common sense!
IMHO

Many site this case as evidence of out of control courts. Have you read the reasoning behind the judgement?

Crowe

Merrimack, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/06/20 09:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I studied the original case that led to all the product warnings in a business ethics class in college. Seems a dad left a lawnmower running (now there is a dead man switch), went into the house leaving a toddler and a baby outside, unsupervised, next to the lawnmower. Toddler decided he'd help daddy and ran over his baby sister, killing her. Stupidity reins supreme on that one. Add sympathetic and not-so-smart juries plus greedy lawyers that never used to be able to advertise on television (this started in 1977) and we are paying the price with disastrous results.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be Douglas Adams

RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road.

down home

south

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/06/20 10:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Maybe 3year olds are doing the shopping in the cities now?
Age 3 or less, first Christmas tree, in the wilds of the Cumberlands.
Grand Ma popped a whole lot of popcorn on the wood cook stove, but no slat no butter. I didn't know why she said I couldn't have some but knew popcorn had always bee real good stuff! Finally she said go ahead but you won't like it. Tasted neer as bad as rain water. Mama and me had been making candles by taking pieces of kite string, starched, I think, and dipping them in in a pot of ht wax and puling them out and repeating several times.
We had a pile of small white candles in the end.
I don't know where the tree arrived but it was in the corner of the living room opposite the fire place. We had cut out a bunch of little doilies, of a sort.
somehow Mama attached the candles on top on the little doilies at the end of all those branches. After the popcorn was strung with a needle on thread and hung all over the tree, mama lit all the candles and in the light of the fire place and the moon, it was the pert neer the most glorious thing I ever saw.
Mama started snuffing out the candles after maybe half an hour. I begged her not too but she replied it would burn the house down. Next day Grand Ma brought out a lot of ornaments handed down from her Mother and perhaps herMother and put them on the tree and then some iceciles and such. A really good looking, I learned,later, Christmas Tree.
So now I understand all these inane warnings!There is a whole lot, apparently 3 year olds, without Mamas that need to know that fire burns and water is wet.
Reason I was inside doing this stuff, was it was cold and they wouldn't lete go bear hunting at age 3. All I had was an axe handle and carved piece of 2x4 to know w the snot out of Leghorn the Terrible, when he felt like he could take me.
Ddn't get a rifle until I was 6 and a man.
All those warnings and cautions give them to your three year olds. Thats who they are meant for.

d3500ram

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 12/06/20 01:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My favorite "disclaimer" is the one for the sunshades that you put behind automobile windshields to keep the sun out...

"Do not operate vehicle with screen in place.

wa8yxm

Davison Michigan (East of Flint)

View Profile

Posted: 12/06/20 04:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

gbopp wrote:

They're probably written by the same type of people who require warnings on the bottle to tell you not to drink bleach.

That one is not as funny as you might think,, I recall earlier this year a few folks did just that. Quite a few in fact.

But yes... A lot of warnings are due to CYA lawyers

in the case of the candle warning. I'd have to read more (Thank you Google) turns out they burn a bit.. er.. faster, higher and hotter than most candles of that type.

Candle recall: Nearly 143,000 candles sold at Dollar Tree recalled as high flames could pose fire, burn hazards. Small votive candles sold exclusively at Dollar Tree stores are being recalled because they pose fire and burn hazards. ... They were sold at Dollar Tree stores nationwide from July through September 2020 for $1

Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire

> Who writes these headlines?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.