cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New Truck or New Engine

klyross
Explorer
Explorer
So, anybody rebuilding or replacing engines in their TC hauling trucks as opposed to buying a new or low mileage used truck?
54 REPLIES 54

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Lol, born in the 70s. I like Mopar motors and to each their own. Good luck with your engine swap!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

JoeChiOhki
Explorer II
Explorer II
Grit dog wrote:
JoeChiOhki wrote:
burningman wrote:
Why wouldnโ€™t you put in a 6BT Cummins? Same no-electronics deal, better power, and it bolts right in

More readily available, sadly. Folks want a mint for a Cummins, out this way.

Lol. Old relics that havenโ€™t been in production since before I was born are more readily avaiLbe?
Itโ€™s ok to say thatโ€™s what you โ€œwantโ€ to do, but letโ€™s not pretend those are in any way shape or form a great choice, or even a good choice.
Whereas 12V Cummins are comparably dime a dozen.

Unless you weren't born in the 90s, which are the fuso turbo diesels I'm talking about, they're very common medium duty cabover truck. On the west coast light duty 12 valve turbo diesels for dodges go used for $10,000 or more run into the ground and have dodges weaker a618 transmissions to deal with.

The fuso's were built for heavy work and can easily be mated to an np205 transfer case.

That's part of the reason I'm looking at putting a fuso drive train as a possible plan.

My truck is already a weird marriage of grafted on parts as her rear end is out an old winnebago, plus bits and pieces from Chevys and fords
My Blog - The Journey of the Redneck Express

CB

Channel 17

Redneck Express

'1992 Dodge W-250 "Dually" Power Wagon - Club Cab Long Bed 4x4 V8 5.9L gashog w/4.10 Geared axles
'1974 KIT Kamper 1106 - 11' Slide-in
'2006 Heartland BigHorn 3400RL

Hemi_Joel
Explorer
Explorer
ppine wrote:
If you spend the money and buy a diesel you don't have to this conversation.

Unless it's a Ford...
2018 Eagle Cap 1163 triple slide, 400W solar, MPPT, on a 93 Dodge D350 Cummins, DTT 89 torque converter, big turbo, 3 extra main leafs, Rancho 9000s rear, Monroe gas magnums front, upper overloads removed, home made stableloads, bags.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
JoeChiOhki wrote:
burningman wrote:
Why wouldnโ€™t you put in a 6BT Cummins? Same no-electronics deal, better power, and it bolts right in

Lol. Old relics that havenโ€™t been in production since before I was born are more readily avaiLbe?
Itโ€™s ok to say thatโ€™s what you โ€œwantโ€ to do, but letโ€™s not pretend those are in any way shape or form a great choice, or even a good choice.
Whereas 12V Cummins are comparably dime a dozen.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
When spending plenty of money, take plenty of time.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

JoeChiOhki
Explorer II
Explorer II
burningman wrote:

CB

Channel 17

Redneck Express

'1992 Dodge W-250 "Dually" Power Wagon - Club Cab Long Bed 4x4 V8 5.9L gashog w/4.10 Geared axles

KKELLER14K
Explorer II
Explorer II
Breakdowns and fails can happen at anytime regardless if a truck is brand new or of older age. It seems to be the luck of the draw. I have had many issues with my second gen Dodge, but the money it costs for a new truck way outweighs the cost of replacing parts that go bad. Luckily I have a manual transmission, which in my opinion is way more reliable than an auto in a dually truck. I bought this truck with 5k miles on it...long story but...you will always have repairs, it is a machine and how it gets used depends on how much your maintenance will be. If it is paid for...well that is your choice if you want to sell it and go back into debt....unless you got loads of money to invest and you can take the depreciation....go for it.

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
When I bought my old 1976 ford 3/4 ton with a 390,it had a new long block in it..I did have to replace a few minor things but when I sold it a few years ago,I would not have hesitated to take it to Arizona or where ever,it was that reliable..

Any truck can break down including new ones except repairs on new ones, just out of warranty, are quite a bit more expensive...
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Grit dog wrote:
But think about it this way. The thing that leaves you on the side of the road at midnight in the middle of no where as you put it, is not catastrophic engine failure. Itโ€™s about 95% likely itโ€™s something else. Either something that also should be wore out by now, something that has had some symptoms but was โ€œstill fineโ€, or something newer or old that randomly stops working.

100% agree here. I sold my 2001 2500 Suburban this spring with 180k miles on the 8.1L big block. Motor was never opened, not even the valve covers, just oil/filter every 3k miles. Ran as strong as the day I bought it.

However, everything that bolted to the motor was replaced over time, and stuff usually failed on a road trip pulling the trailer.

When the truck was fairly new in 2005, the a/c compressor grenaded and took out BOTH front and rear a/c systems. Since it was VA Beach in August, the trailer spent the week at the CG, the truck spent the week at the dealer, and we spent the week in a rented Matrix.

Alternator, power steering, radiator, water pump, brake lines, fuel pumps (8.1 burbs had 2), exhaust (twice), transmission (twice), etc etc.

The transmission quit on a camping trip and left me stranded in a CG for 2 weeks while a Jasper was secured and installed. The Jasper rebuild was defective, and although covered under Jasper warranty, left me stuck in another CG after only 10k miles on the unit.

So my point is that Grit Dog is 100% on this one...if you decide to replace the motor, you need to replace all of the peripherals and accessories to get "new truck" reliability....and even then there's no guarantee you won't break down.

Good that you are thinking about alternatives and planning ahead but IMO it's too early to dump any major money into that truck. Spend the $1k your mechanic recommends and go from there.

cd4eac
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a '96 F-250 with a good body and interior. Engine had a bad cylinder so I got the truck for $600. It had 112Kmiles on it. I bought a rebuilt engine from Jasper for $2500. Done the swap myself in the garage. This was in 2017. In June of that year we drove to Alaska, spent over a month exploring the last frontier! Truck ran great, still does. Have put 45K miles on the engine. I like the older body style. I built my own custom flatbed to fit my camper. Works great and have had many people come up and tell me Cool Rig! Have no plans for trading for newer. I am old school, like my truck the same way. To each his own. My younger brother just dropped a wad of cash on a 2020 F350 Platinum. Yikes I don't have that kind of money, this one works for me.
'99 F-250 SC 4X4 SB - Palomino Bronco B-1251 popup

burningman
Explorer
Explorer
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

JoeChiOhki
Explorer II
Explorer II
When the 360-1 in my Dodge finally gives up, its getting either a 413-3, 440-3, or I may see if I can graft in one of those medium duty diesel engines from an older Isuzu or Mitsubishi box truck from when they were close to all mechanical, and little to no electronics.

CB

Channel 17

Redneck Express

Hemi_Joel
Explorer
Explorer
Unless you do the work yourself, you'll be puting more into the truck than it's worth, then you'll be married to it. Then the trans or rear end or AC or computer, or any other big ticket item could go out. If you really love that truck and want to hang onto it, find a Hemi with 100k miles or less for about $800, swap it in yourself. Then you wont be buried in it. Look at an 2009 -2010. They are much nicer trucks than the 2005's.
2018 Eagle Cap 1163 triple slide, 400W solar, MPPT, on a 93 Dodge D350 Cummins, DTT 89 torque converter, big turbo, 3 extra main leafs, Rancho 9000s rear, Monroe gas magnums front, upper overloads removed, home made stableloads, bags.

klyross
Explorer
Explorer
Well, I have to put about $1k into it (brakes, rear seal, some belts, oil chg., road test, compression test, checking/testing here and there, some other stuff I forgot, etc., etc.). But, he gave it 2 thumbs up for 'easily' 50,000+ more miles. OK - so, peace of mind and my decision can be delayed. (At 'that' juncture, however, the 6.4L Hemi with 8 spds. is starting to look pretty good.)

Thanks much for the comments, options and help!