Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Shout out to Enumclaw Dodge....for the Wet Side Mopar owners
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Shout out to Enumclaw Dodge....for the Wet Side Mopar owners

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
carringb

Corvallis, OR

View Profile

Posted: 12/09/20 08:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit - Can you smell the coolant in the exhaust at all? My Cummins F650 would similarly lose coolant mysteriously, but eventually I got to recognize the faint smell of rotting cotton candy (imagine throwing your kid's cotton candy in the wife's composter and coming back a day later), because it was crack in the EGR cooler (Cummins part, not the Ford one). It would always pass a pressure test because the crack would only open up at elevated operating temps. It would run like this for months before rupturing in a glorious smoke show.

I would think a radiator leak would leave some white residue around the pinhole.

2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 12/09/20 09:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^Thanks for the suggestion. No, no coolant smell in the exhaust.
And I’ve seen it drip (only a couple times in months) up front near the radiator.
I’m fairly certain it’s the radiator. Been through radiator is on 2 separate SRT8s now and it’s fairly common.
Although the shop mentioned they’ve seen some water pumps too, (talking about the Charger not the truck). Although I’m certain that would be a constant issue.
Also no oil in coolant or vice versa and no residual combustion pressure in cooling system. It’s an external leak. Like I said, have seen it on the ground before, only a couple times. Rest of the time there’s no evidence of leak.
This issue is a known problem on some of these cars and it’s where the plastic tank is crimped to the radiator core. I suspect, it’s similar to the egr cooler you mentioned in that it doesn’t “always” open up. The old car eventually had some residue evidence once it got worse and had been happening a long time. I used to put a cup of 2 of coolant in every oil change.
No crustys built up yet that I could find on the radiator. But it’s also rainy time here again, so everything gets washed pretty good under there even despite the plastic cover under the radiator.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

whjco

Lexington, KY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/10/20 09:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I bought my 2015 Ram 2500 CTD from Freedom Dodge in Lexington, KY and now have about 94k on the truck. They've always taken good care of me. I thought I'd try to save money on fuel filters and bought my last set of fuel filters from Advance Auto Parts. I checked my earlier invoice from Freedom and for my previous fuel filter change, they charge me about $50 less for the filters than Advance Auto Parts. I'm very happy with my Ram dealer!

Bill J., Lexington, KY
2006 Starcraft 2500RKS 25' Travel Trailer
2015 Ram 2500 Big Horn 6.7 Cummins.

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 12/10/20 10:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

whjco wrote:

I bought my 2015 Ram 2500 CTD from Freedom Dodge in Lexington, KY and now have about 94k on the truck. They've always taken good care of me. I thought I'd try to save money on fuel filters and bought my last set of fuel filters from Advance Auto Parts. I checked my earlier invoice from Freedom and for my previous fuel filter change, they charge me about $50 less for the filters than Advance Auto Parts. I'm very happy with my Ram dealer!

Interesting on less $ from the Dealer. What did the Dealer charge for both filters?

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Shout out to Enumclaw Dodge....for the Wet Side Mopar owners
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.