Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Complaints about Cost of Mhs vs Motels
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Complaints about Cost of Mhs vs Motels

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
RLS7201

Beautyful Downtown Gladstone, MO

View Profile

Posted: 12/07/20 05:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So many high rollers.....GRIN
We purchased out 95 Bounder in 2002 for $35K. So initial purchase is about $2K a year to own it. I do all my own maintenance, so my labor rates are $0. Yes I have spent a few bucks for parts, tires, batteries, etc but the ol Bounder has been good to us for over 170,000 miles.
Fuel costs are minimal compared to a motel.
We spend our winter months in the desert, mostly on BLM (that's Bureau of Land Management) property, so our fees to park are minimal.
There is no way we could spend 3-4 months in the desert SW moteling it for the price we pay to RV.
To each his/her own.

Richard

95 Bounder 32H F53
460/528 stroker
Web Master
MWPSchooners.com
First brake job
1941 Hudson

Gjac

Milford, CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/07/20 05:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My wife and I have this discussion all the time she says you can by a lot of hotel rooms for what you pay for a MH, and depending on what you pay for the MH she is right. However if you already own the MH and you prefer to fish, ride bikes hike etc. in remote areas vs playing golf and staying at RV resorts, I think it is much cheaper in your MH. I tracked all my trips when I first retired and bought the MH and they varied from $69/night in the lower 48 states to $107/night for a 3mo trip to Alaska. Short stays with a lot of mileage it doesn't pay to take the MH, low miles and longer stays it becomes very cost effective. I don't think you could fly/drive to Alaska and stay in hotels and eat out every night for $107 per day. It is also not the same trip to me if I didn't have all my stuff like my raft and fishing equipment, bike and hiking stuff. I have visited NP's when I was still working stayed in hotels outside the park and did day trips into the parks but it was just not as enjoyable. They only problem is we are 16 years older now and some things change, and I am afraid my wife will eventually win that argument.

BurbMan

Noblesville, IN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/07/20 06:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gjac wrote:

...and I am afraid my wife will eventually win that argument.

They always do [emoticon]

2015 Ram 3500 SRW 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab Long Box, Cummins diesel
2002 Lance 811 Slide-In Camper
SOLD: 2008 Terry 34' TT
SOLD: 2001 K2500LT 8.1L Suburban

Lance 811 Renovation Story!
Project Complete!
Maiden Voyage!

Gundog

Ridgefield, Wa

View Profile

Posted: 12/07/20 06:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not sleeping in a bed that any Tom, Dick and Harry have slept in priceless to me. My wife likes motels I don't I let her win every so often.

2005 34' Expedition Cat C7 Allison 3000

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 12/07/20 07:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When was the last time that motel/hotel bedspread was CLEANED
How about that CARPET

What/Who has done WHAT since????

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/07/20 08:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Motel = Tent
Hotel = Trailer/5th Wheel
Lodge = Class A

Now go back and compare again.

Yosemite starts at $341/night + transportation.

https://www.nationalparkreservations.com/lodge/yosemite-ahwahnee-hotel

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/07/20 10:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

rhagfo wrote:

Well twenty four years ago we were driving across the US to take a car to my DD on the east coast. We had the alternator go out in Plankinton, SD. We stopped as there was a Super 8 motel there, OK $49 a night right? Not that week upland bird season rate doubled to $98!
I am sure that in other locations similar rate increased are in effect.

Your point?

Hotel prices vary based on demand. Always have.

If you buy an inexpensive RV, travel full time, do your own maintenance and keep the miles traveled low...sure you can do it cheaper than staying at hotels.

If you are regularly staying at $425/n motels, you probably aren't keeping costs under control that way.

Yes, my point is Hotel/motel cost vary by demand or event. In my 50 years of travel for work I have stayed in a nice $25 a night motel, and a Plush NYC hotel during fashion week for $700 a night.

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

[email protected]

Windsor NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/08/20 04:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have had motor homes, fivers and tt's. Camping in whatever you have is a life style choice. Personally trying to compare dollars is not all you need to look at. We know who slept in our bed last night and used the bathroom. We can eat healthy and in this current environment it is a no brainer.

Camping in what you have is your choice. I personally don't know of anyone who does it because it is cheaper-----you do it because you love it.

Camping Hoss
2017 Open Range 3X 388RKS
2017 F-350 6.7 with hips 8'bed
Lucky & Lucie

Lumpty

Greater Gotham City

View Profile

Posted: 12/08/20 05:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As others have said, it all comes down to how you use your RV. Diesel pusher for a few weekends and one trip annually? That unit's a money sink to pour it down the drain.

But how we have used our Class C, comparing the costs traveling in it compared to either driving a car and hoteling or a fly/car rental/hotel, it comes out far in the RV's favor. This C was $55k new and we're now in the 10th year of ownership. There has been some maintenance and repairs, only one expensive (new generator - $3k), a set of tires, oil changes and new plugs and coils pending. That stuff besides the genny adds up to $4k. Insurance is $700 a year. In the 77k miles driven, roughly $25k has been spent on fuel. With the current demand for RV's, it likely has a resale value of $20k. We also are in it generally about 40 nights a year, with the average cost of the park or race track spot coming in at about $40 night. So that's $14.5k. Vehicle registration here is $50/year. I could eliminate the food and drink we have because it's similar to if we stayed home, but for the travel comparison fruit to fruit, its about $30/day so $1,200 for the 40 days annually Total cost OOP for everything, in the middle of the 10th year of ownership? $67,000 +/-. That's everything, including vehicle depreciation. For mid-range hotel stay, and an average lunch for 2 people, one snack, and an OK but not extravagant dinner, that's $200/day. 40 days out and about for 9.5 years comes out to $76,000.

And we haven't even gotten to where we are going yet, either by our own car or a plane and car rental. The actual fly-in cost would be much more.

We follow our pro racing driver son around the country in the RV. Typically, event days have jacked up hotel costs. A prime example is for the Sebring 12-hour in Florida; anywhere you'd want to stay has rates like $300/night, with an 8 night minimum. My trackside RV spot there is $560, but I've paid as little as $100 unreserved for the 4 nights. There's no comparison there for money spent, even with the 2300 miles of gas and 36 hours of driving roundtrip.

Someone could argue that $67,000 spent since mid-2011 is a waste of money, but this has been our primary mode of vacationing, and at 40 nights annually, works out to $176 and change a day. You have to do something for fun.

Rob

Too Many Toys.
- '11 E450 Sunseeker 2300
- '16 F150 Supercrew 5.0/FX4
- '09 C6 Z51
- '15 VW Golf Sportwagen daily driver
- '86 Civic and '87 CRX race cars

wallynm

Los Alamos NM

View Profile

Posted: 12/08/20 09:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It is called a LIFE STYLE that I don't have to justify to anyone

Have a Diesel Engine Diesel RV Club

Have a Freightliner FCOC Web Page

Living on the memories now
EX 02 DSDP 3567
EX 99 Coachmen
EX 86 Georgie Boy
EX 75 Winnie
EX 72 Sightseer
EX 68 Brave

THOSE THAT DO NOT KNOW HISTORY ARE DOOMED TO REPEAT IT

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Complaints about Cost of Mhs vs Motels
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.