Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Complaints about Cost of Mhs vs Motels
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Complaints about Cost of Mhs vs Motels

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/07/20 06:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rhagfo wrote:

Well twenty four years ago we were driving across the US to take a car to my DD on the east coast. We had the alternator go out in Plankinton, SD. We stopped as there was a Super 8 motel there, OK $49 a night right? Not that week upland bird season rate doubled to $98!
I am sure that in other locations similar rate increased are in effect.

Your point?

Hotel prices vary based on demand. Always have.

If you buy an inexpensive RV, travel full time, do your own maintenance and keep the miles traveled low...sure you can do it cheaper than staying at hotels.

If you are regularly staying at $425/n motels, you probably aren't keeping costs under control that way.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Bruce Brown

Northern NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/07/20 06:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you travel it costs money, period.

The nicer you travel the more money it costs, period.

As always, find what works best for you, but don't be afraid to look at the other side too. The world changes fast.

Right now I can fly round trip to Florida, 3 hours each way, for under $100 round trip. It's over 18 hours of drive time ONE WAY in the MH, not including breaks or any traffic or construction delays. At $2.50/gallon for fuel it's $700.00 in fuel round trip.

If you go for a week and book the hotel through the airline you can go round trip with the hotel for $900 all taxes and fees included.

So 36 hours of driving or 6 hours of flying? $700 in fuel alone or $900 for flights and a hotel? How much is a campsite in Florida these days?

My point is, there is no "right 100% of the time" answer when discussing this. There are just too many variables, everyone's situation is different, and every trip is different.

Staying for a week a flight and hotel makes sense. Staying for a month, I'm taking the MH.

There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

Matt_Colie

Southeast Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 12/07/20 08:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As Bruce wrote, there is no "right" answer.

If you have a coach that is paid for, it is costing you money to not use it because some things just age out - like tires.

If you go places like the two music festivals we go to (most years), there are no accommodations available in easy striking range that have not be spoken for at least a year in advance.

We have also been to many places that are not near anything. If I didn't bring it, it isn't there.

I will know that the food we eat will be good and prepared carefully. If there are leftovers, we can put those in the reefer.

The dogs get to travel with us. They both really like to find new smells. We don't have to send them to a kennel while we travel.

I am a couple of kinds of engineer and have lived a lot of my life on a spreadsheet. In out case, the motorhome looks real good at that bottom right corner.

My only thing that I might be missing is that we are frequently out of cell coverage and so have no internet. This is with an external antenna and a 3W(ERP) repeater, so you know we are sometimes past the fringe.

Matt

Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 12/07/20 08:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't care what motel/hotel rates are........
I don't use them for a NUMEROUS reasons.

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

QCMan

Independent Republic of Horry

View Profile

Posted: 12/07/20 08:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I do not know who ever thought getting into the rv'ing world was to save money. Just like buying a boat is not because you want to save on the cost of fish. It is a hobby for many who want just as posted above - to have a bed, bath and kitchen of their own while traveling to their current or future favorite spots. No, it is not cheap or cost effective but that is not the goal. Maybe some folks now are being handed that line by rv salesmen but like most everything that an rv salesman says it is nothing but bull fertilizer.
Anyone that considers ANY hobby cost effective needs at least a whole bottle of reality pills. We have bought and paid for trailers that cumulatively have been worth many times what our stick homes have been worth and were happy to do so due to the freedom it affords us. Add to that the fact that we have a nice guest house with it and it is also an emergency bugout home on wheels if a nasty hurricane is due to hit and a place for hot showers if we lose power. Those are bonuses, not justifications. Just saying.

2020 Keystone Cougar 22RBS, Ram 1500, two Jacks and plenty of time to roam!
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. A.E.

BB_TX

McKinney, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 12/07/20 08:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

$3,000 for one week hotel stay equals $430 per night. Must be a resort or hunting lodge. If you are going to try to make costs comparisons, at least use realistic numbers for normal travel, not high end stays.

BurbMan

Noblesville, IN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/07/20 09:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

down home wrote:

Nearly $3,000.00 for a week at one motel..plus tow staye each way at other motels.

That probably included meals and drinks at the bar too....

RVing is a way of life, it's not about $$ all the time, but it gets harder up north in cold weather. We boondoocked in our "4 season" TT for about a week in January in southern KY a few years back. The temps were in the 20's, we went thru 3-30 bottles of propane and that was with with the gen running 24x7 powering a space heater. The dual pane windows helped but not enough...

After adding up what it cost to keep warm, motel would have definitely been cheaper, but this was a last minute trip and couldn't get the dog boarded and there were no pet-friendly motels in the area.

2015 Ram 3500 SRW 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab Long Box, Cummins diesel
2002 Lance 811 Slide-In Camper
SOLD: 2008 Terry 34' TT
SOLD: 2001 K2500LT 8.1L Suburban

Lance 811 Renovation Story!
Project Complete!
Maiden Voyage!

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/07/20 09:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

QCMan wrote:

I do not know who ever thought getting into the rv'ing world was to save money. Just like buying a boat is not because you want to save on the cost of fish. It is a hobby for many who want just as posted above - to have a bed, bath and kitchen of their own while traveling to their current or future favorite spots. No, it is not cheap or cost effective but that is not the goal. Maybe some folks now are being handed that line by rv salesmen but like most everything that an rv salesman says it is nothing but bull fertilizer.
Anyone that considers ANY hobby cost effective needs at least a whole bottle of reality pills. We have bought and paid for trailers that cumulatively have been worth many times what our stick homes have been worth and were happy to do so due to the freedom it affords us. Add to that the fact that we have a nice guest house with it and it is also an emergency bugout home on wheels if a nasty hurricane is due to hit and a place for hot showers if we lose power. Those are bonuses, not justifications. Just saying.

If you have a top of the line diesel pusher and just do a few weekends a year, it's certainly an expensive option to buy and maintain an RV.

If you are full timing in a mid level trailer, it can be very cost effective when you do a full apples to apples comparison.

But as someone else said $430/n isn't likely a fleabag motel but more likely a hunting lodge or other high end resort facility, so the entire premise of the thread is misleading.

jdc1

Rescue, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 12/07/20 09:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

down home wrote:

wa8yxm wrote:

Well In another place (Political) I often yammer about folks who never look at the OTHER SIDE of the Ledger. applies here too but not polically.

When you travel by RV.. First Campgrounds range from around 30-40/night to OUCH. Hotels and motels... About the same price range only the OUCH is OUCH!!!!.

And you still have a house you are paying for back "home" (the other side of the ledger)

RV FUll time you don;t' have the house.

With memberships I paid 90/month during most of the summer to park my RV (Full time) and around 200-250 per MONTH in the winter.

That included Water, Sewer and Electric (Plus over the air TV)
Since moving into an apartment my first Gas/Electrc bill is 120 bucks.
They house ate over 200/month in Gas and electric.

Our Electric Bill runs $400.00-$550.00 a month.

You REALLY need solar. My electric company OWES me $200 for this year. I haven't paid for electricity for over 7 years. My house is all electric....3,000sqft. I live in Northern California, not SoCal.

midnightsadie

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 12/07/20 03:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

this is not comparing apples an peach,s.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Complaints about Cost of Mhs vs Motels
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.