cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smallest RV anyone has full timed in?

rollindownthero
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am curious as to how small an RV anyone has full timed in. How many people lived in it, how did you handle it.

I have a 28' TT, I am by myself, no pets. I have owned the TT since April and have used it for weekend getaways.
I want to retire, but am one of those that would have to work part time in order to survive. I have found a part time job, have applied for social security and will get my first check in February 2021. I start the part time job right after Christmas. I have been going through everything, getting rid of all the stuff I don't need, don't use, won't fit in the TT.

For some reason I am just a little apprehensive about everything. It's a major life change but have to do this also for some health reasons. I need to have a job that is far less stressful. My current job has caused me to have high blood pressure and increased heart rate. Need to slow down and relax.
23 REPLIES 23

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
rollindowntheroad wrote:
I don't doubt I will be able to handle living in my 28'. I think it is more getting rid of all the stuff I've accumulated over all the years. I have gone through stuff several times and still need to go through them again to get rid of more stuff. It's the letting go that I am having difficulty with.

We made a sudden decision to sell our house. Decades of collecting stuff, stuff from previous lives and marriages, stuff from both of our parents houses. Moved from 3,000 ft of floor space to 800 sqft that came fully furnished. One of the hardest things we've had to do. It got easier as we went along, but being on a time crunch helped force our hand. Neither of us are spontaneous, but the opportunity presented itself, and off to the races.

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
rollindowntheroad wrote:
I don't doubt I will be able to handle living in my 28'. I think it is more getting rid of all the stuff I've accumulated over all the years. I have gone through stuff several times and still need to go through them again to get rid of more stuff. It's the letting go that I am having difficulty with.

That's completely normal. If you have to rent a storage facility and come back to it in 6 months or a year when you've got a new perspective on it.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

rollindownthero
Explorer II
Explorer II

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
One in a Scamp 14, Two in a Scamp 16 is about the smallest I've met. I'm sure there's some crazy couple out there living in a teardrop 😃

Personally I just bought a 33' 7" trailer to see if the wife and I can live in under 35' when we start full timing at least part of the year in 4 years when our youngest graduates.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
That should work out fine. You will have both the trailer storage and tow vehicle bed. One person can manage without a lot of stuff.

I will say it's very important to keep a small space orderly. Everything needs a home, and it needs to be there unless you are using it. Otherwise you are just constantly falling over your own stuff.

I wouldn't worry too much about being stuck inside in bad weather. Unless you are completely out in the sticks, you are never going to be more than a couple of hours from SOMETHING to do (when stuff opens up.) Public libraries are a great refuge for a traveler.

Some full timers will join a national health club chain like Planet Fitness so they can do something like that in many towns.

IMHO in the trailer, you need mainly 2 things.

One thing is a truly comfortable place to sit. Take a hard look at your trailer and see if you can remove a sofa or dinette and replace it with a nice recliner, or chair plus ottoman.

Another thing is a space, however limited, to pursue some sort of hobby. If you have a chair and a TV tray, the dinette table is now freed up. There are all sorts of things like photography, jigsaw puzzles, assorted small crafts, etc. You can't just sit and watch TV or your brain will rot.

I've known several military pilots from the Vietnam era who took up things like knitting, crochet, or needlepoint, to keep from going crazy during their downtime. You can make lots of functional and decorative things, and maybe even sell some of them. Don't write off such activities because you are male!
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Back in 2000 I ran into a couple who were full timing in a Winnebago/VW Eurovan Camper pulling a small enclosed trailer.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

vermilye
Explorer
Explorer
I know an individual that full times in a Scamp 13 (10' trailer). I do solo in an Escape 21 (18' box) for 6-8 months of the year without problems. Since there are unfortunate folks living full time in their cars, I suspect anything is possible (although maybe not much fun!)

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
Not sure if it qualifies but we full timed in this for 3 or 4 months of the year for 3 years as we explored like 25 of the United States of Mexico and the Federal District. It was cozy as we had a small dog with us as well. We were outside a lot so meh. No big deal. Lots of memories. Would do it again but lots of other places to see yet.

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II

soon2bexpat
Explorer
Explorer
3 years full time in a 10' Apache hard sided pop up. Would not recommend.
Kodachrome Time Machine, my vintage photo collection from the 1940s to the 1970s: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCff0z54NyAfuAjUST896l6g

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
She doesn't full time anymore, but https://rvsueandcrew.net/ full timed for years in a Casita, her and a couple pups.

I think I could happily full time in a 28' trailer... just gotta ditch the husband 😉
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
Not us but have seen where some have full timed in a Nucamp TAG teardrop. Just a bed on wheels. To each his own.

routeforty
Explorer
Explorer
Go to the "cheap rv living" forum. There are people on there living in everything from a Honda Fit to a large class A. arhayes was correct in saying whatever space you are comfortable in.
2018 coachmen leprechaun class c 2008 KZ spree 260FL

QCMan
Nomad II
Nomad II
We lived in a 25' Aruba with two dogs for the better part of a year waiting for our home to be built. We thoroughly enjoyed it and look at it as a very happy time in our life. A friend at the campground stored his rig there and let us use it for trips whenever we wanted to roam. We were set up like a seasonal so it was not an easy feat to pull it out of there. What size depends on how realistic you are about how much space you really need. A good decision will surely decrease your stress level! Happy camping.
2020 Keystone Cougar 22RBS, Ram 1500, two Jacks and plenty of time to roam!
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. A.E.
Good Sam Life Member