cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Conn. TC owners

K_Mac
Explorer
Explorer
We're probably going to relocate to CT when DW retires (grandbabies) and I'm having trouble navigating CT DMV website. Do you have to register a TC in CT ?, and how would you register a F 350 SRW. I've seen these combo plates, what's the story with these ?,and I can't find the answers I need. Do they need annual inspection ? Here in NY my 350 is considered commercial, but by adding a TC it puts me in the passenger class. This lets me drive our pkwy's and see a Great reduction in fee's paid on toll roads all along the East Coast.No inspection either. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, K Mac
10 REPLIES 10

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
K Mac wrote:
Thanks guys for the info. My son who moved there warned me about CT's DMV fees. I thought NY was bad. I don't go on pkwy., with TC. NY put the !0' limit to control the roofing and siding contractors, who get they're Sprinters, Transit's, whatever, as tall as tractor trailers with all the there equipment.

Tall Sprinters are 9-6" so with ladder rack they will be about 10' tall.
My campers, depends on setup were 12 to 13-4" tall
So don't take 1st impression for legal judgement.

K_Mac
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks guys for the info. My son who moved there warned me about CT's DMV fees. I thought NY was bad. I don't go on pkwy., with TC. NY put the !0' limit to control the roofing and siding contractors, who get they're Sprinters, Transit's, whatever, as tall as tractor trailers with all the there equipment. And seeing this is my post, I'll note recent law changes, restrictions, with others if I please, even if heights have no bearing with DMV registration fees. Thanks again for the info on DMV questions. ๐Ÿ™‚

Devocamper
Explorer
Explorer
In CT your truck camper Is not registered with DMV and you donโ€™t pay property taxes on it either , as far as the parkways go it depends on you GVWR mine is 14k so I have a commercial registration so I am able to legally carry my max payload , no parkways for me . You can register your truck at the max gvwr limit for a combination registration , 12500 ? Not sure what it currently is , no matter what you actual GVWR is but donโ€™t get caught over weight ( slim chance but still a fine).
08 NU-WA Hitchhiker Discover America 339 RSB Sold
18 Host Mammoth
07 Chevy 3500HD LT1 EXT Cab LB DRW D/A Sold
18 Ram 3500 SLT Crew Cab DRW 4x2 6.4 4.10's

Flan
Explorer
Explorer
No 250 or 350โ€™s on the Wilbur cross/merit parkways are allowed, although itโ€™s a common sight. Duallys stick out like a sore thumb, and a TC is a sure bet for a ticket. You can reg a 350 as combination if you watch your listed weight. No inspection, just taxes, ridiculous registration fees, and emissions.
Heartland Prowler 27LX
19 Ram CTD 2500

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
OP was asking about Connecticut.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
Combination plates on pickups with the GVW to 12,500. If it says no comment vehicles you can go there with combination plates. If you get a ticket for defective equipment and it says inspection required you need to get it inspected, that's the only time. I haven't had a car inspected in 40 years. There is a smog test thou.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
I had 15,000lb dually registered in California as non-commercial.
They had special name for it, that I could never memorize, but I called it RV and everybody would understand. Saved about $500 a year in weigh fees.
When I still wonder what state registration laws have to do with camper height, I would not depend on forum replies when it comes to legal issue like that.
When phone call to DMV can take long hold, it will answer the question with no error.

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have a few 8' underpasses here on LI...

If you go to this page and scroll down to where it says

Vehicle Type: Truck, Van, or SUV

Usage: Regular or Combination

There is a footnote that says the following:

Note - A pick-up truck can be registered as a passenger vehicle if the gross weight does not exceed 8500 lbs. and the vehicle is not being used for commercial purposes. Registration fee does not change.

So it sounds like the laws are similar to NY except CT allows up to 8500 lbs instead of 6000 lbs like NY. "Combination" means combination personal/commercial so that wouldn't apply unless you use the truck in a business or for hire when the camper is off.

K_Mac
Explorer
Explorer
LOL BurbMan from my coffee seat I would watch TT's and big trucks hit a bridge on Rte 6 where the Bear Mtn. Pkwy. goes over 6. This bridge is probably close to 75 years old at least. finally about 10 yrs. ago they figured out by putting 3' sidewalks under the bridge it would solve their problem. lol Did you notice that when the Sprinter vans came out,so did signs with 10' height limits on all the pkwy's. Thanks for the info. K Mac

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Here is the list of states that require a TC to be registered and/or titled, and CT requires neither.

Having a camper may put your vehicle in a passenger class, but if you drive the parkways with the camper on you'll wind up like this: