cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jack issues

silverbullet555
Explorer
Explorer
Well it was bound to happen. Put the camper on the truck back in September for hunting season. Went to take it off the other day and the rear Reico Titan jacks don't want to do anything when I operate them.

It's late and cold so I will need to look more closely tomorrow.

So, my questions. Is this likely a low fluid issue? I don't see any signs of leaks which makes me doubt that it could be so simple.

If this is likely more involved, is there a better approach than to just buy parts to fix them?

Lastly, how do I get the camper off the truck in the meantime? I'm done for the year, but would like to get the camper off and on to the platform where it sits.
1995 Northland Grizzly 860. 2355 lbs of purple goodness! Sold
2005 Lance 845 - Baby Bertha
2007 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Classic CC SB 4WD
Torklift mounts
Torklift superhitch
Hellwig swaybar and 3500lb helper springs
2002 Cobalt 226 "Baby Blue"
11 REPLIES 11

silverbullet555
Explorer
Explorer
Pre-emptively rebuild the jack seals or drain unknown fluid and refill and see what happens?
Torklift mounts
Torklift superhitch

Geo_Boy
Explorer II
Explorer II
silverbullet555 wrote:
I topped them off with the jack oil and got the camper off the truck. I'll order parts to rebuild them over the winter.

Good news.

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
silverbullet555 wrote:
StirCrazy wrote:
cold will do that with the wrong type of oil.. people put what ever in these but transmition oil is the best to use, wont get sluggish when its cold, isnt as hard on the seals doesnt rust out the insides like motor oil and hyd oil will do. I just had mine all rebuilt and got to see the effects of using the wrong oils in them.

Steve

But, they were rebuildable.

There is a bottle of jack oil in the camper so I assume that is what has been put in.

mine always had the trans oil that hijacker recomends. the guy showed me a few that were not rebuildable because the owner used motor oil in them. hyd oil works just gets thick with cold and then has issues , other oils attack the seals and dont rust protect that great. I learned a lot of stuff about hydrualic jacks from him (one of the original employs of hijacker who rebuilds them for people out here on the side now that the company is defunct. does pretty any brand of hydrulic jack.

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

silverbullet555
Explorer
Explorer
I topped them off with the jack oil and got the camper off the truck. I'll order parts to rebuild them over the winter.
Torklift mounts
Torklift superhitch

silverbullet555
Explorer
Explorer
StirCrazy wrote:
cold will do that with the wrong type of oil.. people put what ever in these but transmition oil is the best to use, wont get sluggish when its cold, isnt as hard on the seals doesnt rust out the insides like motor oil and hyd oil will do. I just had mine all rebuilt and got to see the effects of using the wrong oils in them.

Steve

But, they were rebuildable.

There is a bottle of jack oil in the camper so I assume that is what has been put in.
Torklift mounts
Torklift superhitch

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

notsobigjoe
Nomad III
Nomad III
silverbullet555 wrote:
notsobigjoe wrote:
I had a set of the same jacks on my coachman ranger bu they were called hijackers. Two things did what your describing, low oil and the shaft needed a some new rubber gaskets. Probably not low oil if there is no evidence of a leak but if you never checked them or it's been a while maybe. I'd replace the oil if not leaking and get some new rubber seals. Also the cold affects hydraulics some what. Good luck!
Joe

similar to the set I had but much much older.

https://www.riecotitan.com/hydraulic-camper-jacks/%20Four-Corner%20Mount%20Hydraulic%20Camper%20Jacks%20White

These are the gaskets I'm talking about. I replaced them and they were
like new.

https://youtu.be/5DwpvUwohYA

https://hijackercamperjacks.com/

Sorry if they're not the same...

Thanks for the insight. I'll check the oil to see if that is a portion of the problem. I intend to rebuild them over the winter. I am sure the fact that the highs are in the 30's right now is a portion of the problem. It is likely impacting seals or oil in some way. Better to happen here than somewhere else.

Maybe it will have to stay on until I get those jacks rebuilt. Not the end of the world and a better solution than dropping it trying to get it off.

Great! glad I could help as it was described to me many years ago is that the rubber seals get air in them. This creates a dry rot area and also can freeze and defrost many times until they fail. When I replaced them in all 3 jacks they looked and felt like they were new but low and behold the new set fixed the problem. The fourth jack had obvious deterioration. Broken seals etc... I'll see if I cant find the old pics.

silverbullet555
Explorer
Explorer
notsobigjoe wrote:
I had a set of the same jacks on my coachman ranger bu they were called hijackers. Two things did what your describing, low oil and the shaft needed a some new rubber gaskets. Probably not low oil if there is no evidence of a leak but if you never checked them or it's been a while maybe. I'd replace the oil if not leaking and get some new rubber seals. Also the cold affects hydraulics some what. Good luck!
Joe

https://www.riecotitan.com/hydraulic-camper-jacks/%20Four-Corner%20Mount%20Hydraulic%20Camper%20Jacks%20White

like new.

Thanks for the insight. I'll check the oil to see if that is a portion of the problem. I intend to rebuild them over the winter. I am sure the fact that the highs are in the 30's right now is a portion of the problem. It is likely impacting seals or oil in some way. Better to happen here than somewhere else.

Maybe it will have to stay on until I get those jacks rebuilt. Not the end of the world and a better solution than dropping it trying to get it off.
Torklift mounts
Torklift superhitch

notsobigjoe
Nomad III
Nomad III
Joe

like new.

silverbullet555
Explorer
Explorer
fpoole wrote:
Check the battery in the remote. I've had mind go silent and went knutts for a few days, till dealer thought it might be the battery... If you have a back remote, try that or undo the remote to get the battery and get another 2-3 as backups..

No remote. Hand pump jacks
Torklift mounts
Torklift superhitch

fpoole
Explorer
Explorer
Check the battery in the remote. I've had mind go silent and went knutts for a few days, till dealer thought it might be the battery... If you have a back remote, try that or undo the remote to get the battery and get another 2-3 as backups..
Frank Poole
Roam'n ROG (Full Timer since Oct '15)
2016 RAM 5500, C/c, 6.7 Diesel, AISIN HD 6-spd, 19.5 DRW, 72 Gal fuel, 4x4, 10’ Alum FB, 440 Amps, 4.10 Axle
2016 AF 990 640-Solar/10-6v Batts
GlowStep Stow N’ Go, E-Bike
RS1 Buggy
frank

Pooles website