Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tire/wheel change on the road
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Tire/wheel change on the road

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 11  
Prev  |  Next
Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/09/20 07:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I dropped AAA years ago because they don't offer RV service in my area. I wonder how folks passing thru this area are served if they call for service. I don't plan on calling anyone for a trailer tire change, towing would be my only need for a service plan. Even though I have air and electric impact wrenches at home, I do all wheel work with manual tools, and I am 3/4 of a century old.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 12/09/20 08:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wopachop wrote:

Grit dog wrote:

wopachop wrote:

If the issue is getting older then ditch the breaker bar idea.

Old?
I’m 48

Sorry was talking to something i read from the OP.

Freeway Flyer 05 wrote:

Problem is I am getting older and not as coordinated!!!

Haha I was joking, saying that I’m 48 and use an impact every time unless I don’t have one around!
Nothing to do with age. It’s like using a reel mower when they make mowers that go by themselves. Or them hedge clippers that look like a big pair of scissors when you could put the sickle mower attachment in the Stihl Kombi!

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 12/09/20 08:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

“ Even though I have air and electric impact wrenches at home, I do all wheel work with manual tools, and I am 3/4 of a century old.”

First question would be....why?

Maybe I’m just jealous because I’m not at the point where I’m looking for slower, harder ways to do things to pass the time...lol

Edd505

Elephant Butte, NM

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/09/20 08:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Edd505 wrote:

I pushed speed dial "CoachNet" and was on my way in 30 minutes after a young guy showed up. That's what I pay roadside insurance for.

30 minutes??? That must be a world record.

Just re read. How long from phone call to his arrival?

When I had a tire issue It took start to finish with spare replaced and tools put away 30 minutes with lugs PROPERLY torqued. Wife said don’t we have coverage for that??? I said yes but how long do you want to set here waiting for their arrival?

From call to done about 30 minutes, just south of Albuquerque. I asked if he wanted me to sign and he said he had already been paid.

Longest I ever had to wait was about 2hrs when I lost the HP pump on my diesel near Mnacos CO, 5W hooked. Two trucks from Durango, closest tow that could handle the job, tow truck and 1 ton dully. Towed to Cortez truck to shop camper to RV park. Driver said $900+, sign here. The best part of this one, I had a new 5W I had forgot to transfer to the policy. The customer service lady I was on the phone with said no problem, give me the Vin & info on your new one. Done

2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/09/20 09:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wopachop wrote:

I dont understand how anyone can afford an RV or a cheap beat up trailer and not have AAA.
In 20 years I have had one tow for $80 cash. Very affordable.

Yes that means I do my own jump starts and my own tire service. Otherwise I just call some locals if I need something but very rare. Now if I had 19.5 or 22.5 tires and 450 ft-lb lugs I might think different.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

azdryheat

Tucson, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/09/20 10:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use this impact driver to remove my truck's lug nuts: Craftsman 19.2v C3 1/2" Impact Wrench. link

2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2016 RZR 900

Freeway Flyer 05

Pacific Northwest

View Profile

Posted: 12/09/20 11:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

Do you have an air compressor?

We have a small portable unit and in a pinch, I could power it with the generator. A $30 pnuematic impact wrench should do the trick.
I do have a pneumatic wrench at home, but it requires a strong rate of flow to work.

Freeway Flyer 05

Pacific Northwest

View Profile

Posted: 12/09/20 11:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wopachop wrote:

If the issue is getting older then ditch the breaker bar idea. Break them loose and then ratchet them off by hand? Screw that. Get an electric impact. Cheap or expensive. Dont have to trust their claimed torque rating but got to think its ballpark. Good enough to compare models.

You are listening!!!

Freeway Flyer 05

Pacific Northwest

View Profile

Posted: 12/09/20 11:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

And back on topic, to the OP, yes that would be a good cordless impact wrench for changing tires.
Personally I wouldn’t invest in the combo with the ratchet.
I’ve never found much use for my air ratchets. It’s either by hand or with a small hex drive impact driver.
Air or electric ratchets are well suited for production work like engine rebuilding and handy in tight areas where you can’t get much of a turn on a ratchet.
A better combo would be a 1/2” impact and impact driver, or a cordless drill if you don’t have a good one.

I have had some recent situations where my old variable speed cordless couldn't get in. If I had a low profile ratchet driver, woulda been great.

pitch

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/10/20 05:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wopachop wrote:

If the issue is getting older then ditch the breaker bar idea. Break them loose and then ratchet them off by hand? Screw that. Get an electric impact. Cheap or expensive. Dont have to trust their claimed torque rating but got to think its ballpark. Good enough to compare models.

x2

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 11  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Tire/wheel change on the road
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.