cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Stale DEF

Cougarnewbie
Explorer
Explorer
Because of Covid my F-350 6.7 diesel has been garage kept since February. The DEF tank is full. DEF has a shelf life. Should I be concerned enough to consider draining the old DEF? My first diesel.
Thanks
AL
May All Your On Ramps be Downhill
29 REPLIES 29

hvac
Explorer
Explorer
I would submit we are very experienced rider's. But, in this situation a fall in the desert is always a possibility.
Walking at best is a turned ankle. No hospital needs us at this point.
We pick our battles.

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
philh wrote:
hvac wrote:
So, we decided e bikes are too risky.
!

Why is an eBike risky?

Some of them are surprisingly powerful and more like a small motorcycle than a bicycle. Since they look like bikes it is easy to not respect them as much as you should. For example, Simon Cowell of America's Got Talent recently broke his back on one that has about 20hp. That is equivalent to about a 400cc motorcycle in power and should be handled as such.

Simon Cowell accident

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
hvac wrote:
So, we decided e bikes are too risky.
!

Why is an eBike risky?

hvac
Explorer
Explorer
Palm Springs you wait in line to get in stores. No hospital beds left and a ambulance can be a 2 hr wait. So, we decided e bikes are too risky.
Hiking is now our entertainment.
That's how you flex and travel in a raging pandemic. Life is short. Weather is stunning!!

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
odenwell wrote:
JRscooby wrote:
odenwell wrote:
JRscooby wrote:
I put on mask to walk the dog before we went in. First person I met "You don't need that mask, this is Trump country". We could not open the restaurant door.

Your loss.

How do you think it is my loss? I'm not real well educated, but if simple science is explained to me, I can understand it. Most of the developed world, the citizens of the country decided to unite to fight the invading army. Sure, in the northern hemisphere the number of cases are increasing. But most are increasing from a much lower level. And New Zealand has lifted all Covid restrictions, except for new arrivals because of no active Covid 19 cases in the country!
It is a loss to have to protect myself and my family from people that think their ignorance is more important than other's lives.

Enlighten yourself: Should you always wear a mask?

In every restaurant that I have been in all of customers take their masks off to eat regardless. If you are really worried about the exposure you should get food from a take out window.

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
rhagfo wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
Afraid to drive because of the Rona?

Some things are a mystery.
Almost as confusing as being afraid to camp because of the Rona....

May as well empty the tank because you wonโ€™t be driving it next year either based on current logic.

I also don't understand letting a large investment just sit, take it out for a couple hour drive at least once a month! Hit the nearest highway and drive an hour away from home then return, maybe about a 100 mile drive, running warm burning clean.
Still under warranty, what about 6 month oil changes?
We camp host in Oregon during shut down we stayed at our last assignment or for some went home. When parks reopened in June they were mostly full. Parks remained mostly late into early October, people wanted out.

I haven't gone camping with my DP since July of last year. I have had it out a few times just to exercise it but nowhere near enough to make a dent in the DEF tank so I drained it yesterday. The fluid came out crystal clear. I think that it is fine but I chose not to take the chance.

As for the 6-month oil change, I bought a new truck a few years ago that had been on the lot 8 months. When I asked the dealer to change the oil because it had been in motor over 6 months they flat out refused. I wasn't surprised but I had done it just to see their reaction anyway. It is the cold starts and condensation that kill oil. If you can keep out moisture while it sits oil will last a very long time.

odenwell
Explorer
Explorer
JRscooby wrote:
odenwell wrote:
JRscooby wrote:
I put on mask to walk the dog before we went in. First person I met "You don't need that mask, this is Trump country". We could not open the restaurant door.

Your loss.

How do you think it is my loss? I'm not real well educated, but if simple science is explained to me, I can understand it. Most of the developed world, the citizens of the country decided to unite to fight the invading army. Sure, in the northern hemisphere the number of cases are increasing. But most are increasing from a much lower level. And New Zealand has lifted all Covid restrictions, except for new arrivals because of no active Covid 19 cases in the country!
It is a loss to have to protect myself and my family from people that think their ignorance is more important than other's lives.

Enlighten yourself: Should you always wear a mask?

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Grit dog wrote:
Afraid to drive because of the Rona?

Some things are a mystery.
Almost as confusing as being afraid to camp because of the Rona....

May as well empty the tank because you wonโ€™t be driving it next year either based on current logic.

I also don't understand letting a large investment just sit, take it out for a couple hour drive at least once a month! Hit the nearest highway and drive an hour away from home then return, maybe about a 100 mile drive, running warm burning clean.
Still under warranty, what about 6 month oil changes?
We camp host in Oregon during shut down we stayed at our last assignment or for some went home. When parks reopened in June they were mostly full. Parks remained mostly late into early October, people wanted out.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

NJRVer
Explorer
Explorer
odenwell wrote:
JRscooby wrote:

Your loss.

And good 'ol boy Pence is one of the first in line to get the vaccine.
I wonder why, since Covid is a "hoax".

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
odenwell wrote:
JRscooby wrote:

Your loss.

odenwell
Explorer
Explorer
JRscooby wrote:

Your loss.

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
The first road trip we took last spring wife and I planed to eat at a restaurant we have enjoyed in the past. First problem, public bathroom. Found a pit toilet in a park that never gets much use. Before the next trip had a pop-up shower tent and porta-potty in back of pickup.
Got to town we planed to eat. I put on mask to walk the dog before we went in. First person I met "You don't need that mask, this is Trump country". We could not open the restaurant door. (Next town, stopped at bakery for bread, and meat market. Another park to eat)

hvac
Explorer
Explorer
I'm amazed how this Cummins drains that Def tank when towing and especially in mountainous conditions.
I know the covid thing is real but we are staying the course. About 13k miles annually towing a 28 ATC. DEF is never in too long! Currently heading to locked down palm springs. Lucky our reservation was held!!

hvac
Explorer
Explorer
I'm amazed how this Cummins drains that Def tank when towing and especially in mountainous conditions.
I know the covid thing is real but we are staying the course. About 13k miles annually towing a 28 ATC. DEF is never in too long! Currently heading to locked down palm springs. Lucky our reservation was held!!