cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Portable air compressor

gkachner
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2019 Thor Axis 24.1. Which portable generator should I buy? The Aiair 400P or the 450P?
13 REPLIES 13

Mike_Taverniti
Explorer
Explorer
6 gallon pancake Craftsman for $ 100 on Amazon. Great deal.

jeromep
Explorer
Explorer
learntorv wrote:
I'm curious if the folks who are recommending against the Viair have actually used one. I don't have a motorhome but did have 125psi trailer tires for a few years. The 450P didn't struggle with them at all and topped them up decently quick (even the day I picked up the RV from a storage lot and the tire started with 40psi due to a nail).

I wouldn't hesitate to get one for a motor home.

I'll take a stab at this. First thing I don't like about the Viair is the use of alligator clips for 12v service. In my application I'm having to find battery terminals to attach to, which leaves me clipping this thing onto battery posts at the front of my vehicle, either my house batteries or my starter battery and then having to run a mess of hose along the vehicle to reach the tires. Sure Viair supplies 2 coiled air hoses, but still. That isn't quick and easy. Some users might keep around a small 12v SLA battery just to run this compressor, but again, that seems unpractical and you have to be keeping that separate battery on a charger just to use this compressor. If you happen to have convenient 12v posts in a basement or underbelly compartment, that might do the trick, but I don't have that in my application.

I'd be all over a unit that was 120v. It is super easy for me use a 120v compressor. If I'm on shore power or have my generator on, I have 120v outlets on both sides of my rig, making plugging in and using a compressor super easy.

I think Viair makes great stuff, but their intended application or usage model doesn't fit my preferences or situation.

Actually the only thing I dislike about the Viair is the alligator clip 12v service. Otherwise the package size is perfect and the performance is good and the quality seems to be excellent.

jeromep
Explorer
Explorer
Mike P. wrote:
Went to H Frt today to purchase the Fortress 2 gallon compressor.
It was listed at 159$.
Can't find a coupon anywhere for 129$
Suggestions?
Thanks, Mike

It was $129 last week, on their site, and it had all the requisite flags displayed online stating that it was on special.

This week it is listed as $159 online. Sales come and go. If you were to wait I'm sure that it would be offered as a special again in a few weeks.

That's the thing about Harbor Freight, you kind of have to buy when the sale is on or wait until the next one comes along. I kind of keep a wish list going, and when stuff goes on ad I purchase it then and add to my inventory.

learntorv
Explorer
Explorer
I'm curious if the folks who are recommending against the Viair have actually used one. I don't have a motorhome but did have 125psi trailer tires for a few years. The 450P didn't struggle with them at all and topped them up decently quick (even the day I picked up the RV from a storage lot and the tire started with 40psi due to a nail).

I wouldn't hesitate to get one for a motorhome.

Mike_P_
Explorer
Explorer
Went to H Frt today to purchase the Fortress 2 gallon compressor.
It was listed at 159$.
Can't find a coupon anywhere for 129$
Suggestions?
Thanks, Mike

jeromep
Explorer
Explorer
FIRE UP wrote:
gkachner wrote:
I have a 2019 Thor Axis 24.1. Which portable generator should I buy? The Aiair 400P or the 450P?

Ya had me going for a minute. The title is "which air compressor" and, your question asks which "generator"? Wow!

Anyway, ANY 12V compressor, yes even the junk Viair units are gonna work at topping off heavier duty tires. If you have the room and, a coach generator or, are normally plugged into shore power, I would (and have) definitely opt for a 120VAC unit. They are faster by far. I used to have the Craftsman version of the Porter Cable one that many carry but, due to unforeseen circumstances, it died and, I needed to replace it. So, long story short, I did a bit of research and came up with the Harbor Freight "Fortress" model. It's the 2-gallon version.

There's multiple reasons I went with that one.\

1. It's SERIOUSLY quieter than any other small, portable compressor on the market.
2. Its top pressure is 135 psi which, it suitable for ANY RV tire.
3. It's recovery time is PHENOMENALLY FASTER than any other compressor.
4. It has a *Brushless*, very low amp draw motor.

I read all the reviews and was definitely impressed just by those. So, I took a chance and headed on down to my local HF and picked one up. I got it home, un boxed it and plugged it in. I was flabbergasted as to just how quiet it really is. I can put it on the couch, right along side me right now and still hear the TV just fine.

It's cycle time, from where cut-on is, 95 psi, to it's cut-off pressure of 135, is SEVEN SECONDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I did it several times just make sure my watch was not wrong. Yep, 7 seconds each time, from start to finish. Wow!!!

And one of the best features, beside all those I mentioned, it holds that 135 PSI for WEEKS ON END. I used it two weeks ago to air up our Jeep tires to get ready to tow it and, it cycled one last time after the last tire and, I just looked at it and it's still at 135 psi!!!!

Harbor Freight is having a *Black Friday* sale that is a full month long. That 2-gallon Fortress normally is $159.00 but, for this Black Friday sale, it's $129.00, Can't beat that with a stick. Without a doubt, that compressor DESTROYS my Viair 400P that I keep as a backup to a back up. Your choice.
Scott

I'll put in a vote for that 2 gallon Harbor Freight Fortress compressor. It is beyond quiet, seems very solidly built, has a super fast fill from 0 psi time and ridiculously fast recovery when at pressure. It is a low speed 2 cylinder compressor, which in that size class I'm not sure anyone else is doing except for, maybe, California air tools, and at a much greater cost.

An air compressor which has tanks provides much greater overall utility than those fill compressors which have little or no reserve and have to run continuously to provide air pressure.

If I'm out someplace and want to top off, I'll just fire up my generator and run this compressor. I also have manual inflate air springs and my experience is that you need a compressor with a standing head of pressure to effectively adjust air spring pressure.

Your mileage and preferences may vary.

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
JaxDad wrote:
The whole concept of carrying a compressor has me scratching my head.

If your tires are losing air you have a problem, get it fixed.

I check tire pressures as part of my routine periodic circle check, but I canโ€™t remember the last time I needed to add any air, then because Iโ€™d picked up a screw.
Can't always get it in to have it fixed right away if I'm on the road. Hard to get into a station for air and many don't have enough pressure.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

railsbackg
Explorer
Explorer
I just picked up the 400P from a friend. He sold his pusher and is moving to New Mexico. It is still new, picked it up for 50.00

He also sold me his irv3 brake controller for 200.00, I should probably take him some extra beer.

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
JaxDad wrote:

I check tire pressures as part of my routine periodic circle check, but I canโ€™t remember the last time I needed to add any air, then because Iโ€™d picked up a screw.

Not everyone carries a compressor for their COACH TIRES. Having a small portable compressor is valuable in all kinds of situations. Those of us that have Jeeps quite often lower the tire pressure ON PURPOSE to enhance off road capabilities and, depending on how close you are to camp when you're at the end of a trail, you can drive back to the campground on low pressure tires and air them up when you get back.

Or, if you're working on something that needs to blown out or off, you have AIR do to it. Or, if your bicycle or bicycles need air in their tires, you have AIR to do it. So yes, a small air compressor is of GREAT value in all kinds of situations.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
gkachner wrote:

Ya had me going for a minute. The title is "which air compressor" and, your question asks which "generator"? Wow!

Anyway, ANY 12V compressor, yes even the junk Viair units are gonna work at topping off heavier duty tires. If you have the room and, a coach generator or, are normally plugged into shore power, I would (and have) definitely opt for a 120VAC unit. They are faster by far. I used to have the Craftsman version of the Porter Cable one that many carry but, due to unforeseen circumstances, it died and, I needed to replace it. So, long story short, I did a bit of research and came up with the Harbor Freight "Fortress" model. It's the 2-gallon version.

There's multiple reasons I went with that one.\

1. It's SERIOUSLY quieter than any other small, portable compressor on the market.
2. Its top pressure is 135 psi which, it suitable for ANY RV tire.
3. It's recovery time is PHENOMENALLY FASTER than any other compressor.
4. It has a *Brushless*, very low amp draw motor.

I read all the reviews and was definitely impressed just by those. So, I took a chance and headed on down to my local HF and picked one up. I got it home, un boxed it and plugged it in. I was flabbergasted as to just how quiet it really is. I can put it on the couch, right along side me right now and still hear the TV just fine.

It's cycle time, from where cut-on is, 95 psi, to it's cut-off pressure of 135, is SEVEN SECONDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I did it several times just make sure my watch was not wrong. Yep, 7 seconds each time, from start to finish. Wow!!!

And one of the best features, beside all those I mentioned, it holds that 135 PSI for WEEKS ON END. I used it two weeks ago to air up our Jeep tires to get ready to tow it and, it cycled one last time after the last tire and, I just looked at it and it's still at 135 psi!!!!

Harbor Freight is having a *Black Friday* sale that is a full month long. That 2-gallon Fortress normally is $159.00 but, for this Black Friday sale, it's $129.00, Can't beat that with a stick. Without a doubt, that compressor DESTROYS my Viair 400P that I keep as a backup to a back up. Your choice.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

craig7h
Nomad
Nomad
I guess if you are stuck on the 12v models the 450 would be the way to go. I on the other hand would stay away from 12v models and go with a 120v plug in model. I have used a Fini air compressor for many years, on 19.5 to 22.5 tires. It does take some time to get up to 100psi but I believe you will be happier with a 120v unit. I got the Fini at one of the big box stores about 6 years ago.
Itasca Meridian SE 36g
Road Master Tow Dolly

fyrflie
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would personally buy the 450P.

100% Duty Cycle.