Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: 6.6 Ram
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> 6.6 Ram

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 12/10/20 03:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mkirsch wrote:

When all you're doing is hauling a TC, the engine doesn't make much difference. All the engine offerings from the big three are plenty powerful. If 410 horsepower isn't enough to move even the biggest TC up and down any hill as fast as you want, I give up.

GM's 6.6L puts out 401HP
Ford's 7.3L beats both at 430HP

Dodge - 6.4L 390 ci 410 hp 429 lb ft torque
The 390 in my 1972 Ford F-250 was rated at 201 hp 376 lb ft
Ford - 6.2L 378 ci 385 hp 430 lb ft torque
Chevy - 6.6L 402 ci 401 hp 464 lb ft torque
Ford 7.3L 445 ci 430 hp 475 lb ft torque

The only downside I see to the Chevy is the 6-speed tranny although I don't really see a problem with any of them.

If I bought a new truck I'd be getting a gasser too.

* This post was last edited 12/10/20 05:01pm by specta *   View edit history

Kenny
2011 Chevy 2500 HD 6.0L 4wd
1995 Lance 945 Onan QG 2500 LP
Regular cab. The best looking trucks.

billtex

RI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/10/20 07:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

trail-explorer wrote:

billtex wrote:

DEF/DPF/re-gens...

DPF?

Looks like another typo.

FIFY.

2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella
"Good People Drink Good Beer"-Hunter S Thompson

Gary Morency

windsor ontario

View Profile

Posted: 12/12/20 04:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looking at the torque on the 6.4 only 429 ft lbs I remember my 1990 Dodge Cummins was about 450ftlbs and that is 50% of what my 2018 is.How good can the 6.4 climb steep grades like those ones on I-44 in Missouri.

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 12/12/20 06:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It will likely downshift, but still make it up the mountains. If you want the fastest truck, buy a newer Ford diesel with 4.30 gears. If you will likely just drive the speed limit, or safe speed with TC, you can get buy with any of the newer engine options either gasoline or diesel.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Toyo M655 225/19.5 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 12/12/20 07:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I googled 2021 F-250 prices and this is what came up...
"the F-250 SuperCab Diesel is priced at $48,580, while the 2021 Ford F-250 starts at an MSRP of $36,560."

Everybody has different wants and needs but for me passing the gassers on steeper grades is not worth the additional cost of $12,000.00

My truck, camper and ATV trailer weigh close to 12,000 and yep my truck slows down on the steeper grades, 45 mph climbing Donnor Pass. The engine doesn't get hot and neither does the transmission and it just keeps going.

My 6.0 has 360 hp and 380 lb.-ft. @ 4200.

More would be nice for sure but this works just fine for me.

I thought if I were to buy a new truck I'd get the F-250 with their 7.3 but now that Chevy has upped to the 6.6 that's what I'd be getting instead.

[image]

Here's a 2020 Chevy 2500HD WT. THEE ugliest truck on the road.

[image]

I'm glad that I'm not looking for a new truck. I'd want a Chevy but they are soo butt ugly I don't think I could own one. LOL

billtex

RI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/12/20 03:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

specta wrote:

I googled 2021 F-250 prices and this is what came up...
"the F-250 SuperCab Diesel is priced at $48,580, while the 2021 Ford F-250 starts at an MSRP of $36,560."

Everybody has different wants and needs but for me passing the gassers on steeper grades is not worth the additional cost of $12,000.00

My truck, camper and ATV trailer weigh close to 12,000 and yep my truck slows down on the steeper grades, 45 mph climbing Donnor Pass. The engine doesn't get hot and neither does the transmission and it just keeps going.

My 6.0 has 360 hp and 380 lb.-ft. @ 4200.

More would be nice for sure but this works just fine for me.

I thought if I were to buy a new truck I'd get the F-250 with their 7.3 but now that Chevy has upped to the 6.6 that's what I'd be getting instead.

I'm glad that I'm not looking for a new truck. I'd want a Chevy but they are soo butt ugly I don't think I could own one. LOL

I was a GM Guy for 35 yrs. When we bought a new truck this year I could not understand why GM put a six speed tranny behind their new Gas engine.
They lost our business this time.
They are behind the times.
Go drive the new Superdutys and even the new Dodge. GM is a generation behind IMO. A test drive will change your mind.

specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 12/15/20 05:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

billtex wrote:

I was a GM Guy for 35 yrs. When we bought a new truck this year I could not understand why GM put a six speed tranny behind their new Gas engine.
Go drive the new Superdutys and even the new Dodge. GM is a generation behind IMO. A test drive will change your mind.

I was a Ford man forever until I bought my current truck. We have a 2017 and a '18 F-250 here that I drive quite often.

If I were to buy a new truck today I wouldn't buy a Ford solely because the transmission has 4 more speeds than the Chevy does.

The Chevy's ergonomics fit me better too.

billtex

RI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/15/20 07:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

specta wrote:

billtex wrote:

I was a Ford man forever until I bought my current truck. We have a 2017 and a '18 F-250 here that I drive quite often.

If I were to buy a new truck today I wouldn't buy a Ford solely because the transmission has 4 more speeds than the Chevy does.

The Chevy's ergonomics fit me better too.

All I can say is go drive them all. I went into this purchase with an open mind-these trucks are $$$! I wanted to experience all of them before dropping that kind of cash. We usually hold on to our vehicles for 10+ years so it’s a long term commitment for me to buy a new truck.
I really thought I would come out with another GM. It quickly became obvious that Ford and Ram are leaving GM behind with this generation. Their powertrains are MUCH better.
The Ford crew cab is enormous also. Much bigger/nicer than GM. The Ram is a nice cab also, but a few too many gadgets for me. The Hemi with 8 speed is nice though-butter smooth.
After a lot of research and test drives the choice-for us- was clear. It’s kind of hard to believe i don’t have a GM in the driveway-I have had them forever! But no regrets, the Ford has been fantastic.
When the time comes-open up your mind-drive them all. You may be as surprised as I.

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 12/15/20 08:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don't we have 10 Ford dealers for each Dodge dealer in this country?
and 100 Ford dealers for each GM truck dealer?
When you drive Ford - you will get it fixed in Mexico, you will get it fixed in Ecuador, you will get it fixed in France.
Try that with the others?

Faststreak

Mississippi

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/15/20 09:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sounds like if you drive a Ford you have to get it fixed a lot.??

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> 6.6 Ram
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.