cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Curiosity caught the Cheshire cat

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
Went past a Ford dealer couple weeks ago and noticed he had 2 SD dallies on the lot. Stopped by the following week to take a gander at them. 1 was a 450 Lariat and the other a 350 XLT. 79 and 70K respectively. Anyways, didn't spend a whole lotta time there, but on the 350 (very well equipped), it was a '21, 4.10 gears and had the 10 speed tranny. So it got me to thinking and perhaps a little drooling too, but what is the RPM difference between a 4.10 6 speed and 4.10 10 speed at 60-70 mph? On my '17 350 w/ the 4.10 6 spd, I'm at 2100 at 70 mph.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"
29 REPLIES 29

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting, have not heard of anyone complain about their towing experience with the 7.3 regardless of gear ratio but a consistent report of better fuel economy with 3.55 empty....1 mpg still counts.

Note:
I'm towing a 30ft 7500# trailer loaded so from my perspective, like towing a p'up.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
deltabravo wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Also wondering what a โ€œDULLYโ€ is???

A DULLY is a non "shiny" truck

๐Ÿ˜‰

Thanks!!!!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Cummins12V98 wrote:

A DULLY is a non "shiny" truck

๐Ÿ˜‰
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

Crespro
Explorer
Explorer
ACZL wrote:
Went past a Ford dealer couple weeks ago and noticed he had 2 SD dallies on the lot. Stopped by the following week to take a gander at them. 1 was a 450 Lariat and the other a 350 XLT. 79 and 70K respectively. Anyways, didn't spend a whole lotta time there, but on the 350 (very well equipped), it was a '21, 4.10 gears and had the 10 speed tranny. So it got me to thinking and perhaps a little drooling too, but what is the RPM difference between a 4.10 6 speed and 4.10 10 speed at 60-70 mph? On my '17 350 w/ the 4.10 6 spd, I'm at 2100 at 70 mph.

With my 7.3L, ten speed and 4.30, I run just under 2,000 rpm at 65 mph. I think the 4.30 and 7.3 is an excellent combination.
Crespro 2021 Grand Design 310GK-R, 2020 F250LB, 7.3L, 4.30, Reese 27K

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
bucky wrote:
I think in the op's case it would be drooly.

Hey now!! LOL Never hurts to look. Reminds me of a saying from a former semi driver (RIP) who said while dining out with his wife and a good looking lady walks by: "Just because I'm on a diet doesn't meant I cannot look at the menu".
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
kellem wrote:
Word on the street is Fords new 10spd is allowing truck buyers to tow happily with 3.55 gears instead of 4.30.....tight gear spacing.

I fell victim to the 10spd and 7.3, ouch.

Ouch?
I say yay!
If one is dropping tht kind of $ on a new truck, using it to tow, has the luxury of a 10 speed with deep OD gears, why would you not choose the best performing, most capable package for basically free?

I would hazard a bet that the fuel economy penalty is miniscule at most and non existent in some conditions (like when towing).
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think in the op's case it would be drooly.
Puma 30RKSS

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Even with the 10 speed trans, deeper gearing is always best for a gasser. Unless you are towing light, get the 4.30's. Performance will be better and mileage will be about the same!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Hannibal wrote:
kellem wrote:
Word on the street is Fords new 10spd is allowing truck buyers to tow happily with 3.55 gears instead of 4.30.....tight gear spacing.

Me too. Love the new truck with 7.3L, 10spd, 3.55.

Which is a yuuuuge step up from your old truck, but I suspect kellem was talking tongue in cheek, because the deep gears behind the 7.3 make it a monster and with the 10 speed and rpms for days it can run 4.30s no problem and still have low rpms running bobtail.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Hannibal wrote:
kellem wrote:

Me too. Love the new truck with 7.3L, 10spd, 3.55.

This is a lot of it, the 10 speed allows for lower ratios in the lower gears to get moving. So the transmission is making up for the rear end.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

gbopp wrote:
What does DALLIE mean?
1a : to act playfully especially : to play amorously. b : to deal lightly : toy accused him of dallying with a serious problem. 2a : to waste time. b : linger, dawdle.

DUALLIE Strollers are all-terrain double strollers for 2 children from BOB Gear, the #1 jogging stroller.

Definition of DUALLY
: in a double capacity : in two ways
Since the library functions dually as a working room for a writer and a space for entertaining, the architect was careful to make a place for everything.

DOOLIE (plural doolies) (US) A first-year student at the United States Air Force Academy; a cadet freshman.

What does Dooley mean?
Irish: reduced Anglicized form of Gaelic ร“ Dubhlaoich 'descendant of Dubhlaoch', a personal name composed of the elements dubh 'black' (see Duff) + laoch 'champion', 'hero'.

DUALIE Pickup Trucks Defined - Truck Trend
www.trucktrend.com โ€บ features โ€บ whats-a-dualie
Feb 12, 2020 โ€” To those who aren't familiar with dualies ("dually" is the more popular but incorrect spelling)

It looks like Boomerweps is the winner. :C

Got some time on your hands this morning ?? :B
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
What does DALLIE mean?
1a : to act playfully especially : to play amorously. b : to deal lightly : toy accused him of dallying with a serious problem. 2a : to waste time. b : linger, dawdle.

DUALLIE Strollers are all-terrain double strollers for 2 children from BOB Gear, the #1 jogging stroller.

Definition of DUALLY
: in a double capacity : in two ways
Since the library functions dually as a working room for a writer and a space for entertaining, the architect was careful to make a place for everything.

DOOLIE (plural doolies) (US) A first-year student at the United States Air Force Academy; a cadet freshman.

What does Dooley mean?
Irish: reduced Anglicized form of Gaelic ร“ Dubhlaoich 'descendant of Dubhlaoch', a personal name composed of the elements dubh 'black' (see Duff) + laoch 'champion', 'hero'.

DUALIE Pickup Trucks Defined - Truck Trend
www.trucktrend.com โ€บ features โ€บ whats-a-dualie
Feb 12, 2020 โ€” To those who aren't familiar with dualies ("dually" is the more popular but incorrect spelling)

It looks like Boomerweps is the winner. :C

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
IDman wrote:
I'm curious too. What is a dallie?

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

ACZL wrote:
monkey44 wrote:
HA, you all think walking onto a dealer lot becomes scary, try walking into a chocolate fudge factory.

ROFLMAO on that one !!! OMG that's a good one! Yes it was auto correct and I never thought to proof read it before posting thinking all was okay. My bad.

FTG,

I know that could get me into trouble, but mama's vehicle would be the most likely one to get replaced despite it also being a '17 and that is if she wants to get another new one. I'm looking at tossing in the towel in 6 years and she a bit more, so in a sense gotta start watching the pennies along w/ the waistline if walking to the fudge factory.

M

I get it.... Happy wife = happy life... If all goes well, I will hang in working for another 15 - 20.. That will put me at 70-75, then maybe I will start watching my waist !
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet