cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5 Star Tune

railsbackg
Explorer
Explorer
I am sure this topic has been beat to death. But I just bought a 15 Fleetwood Bounder 35K model. Any of you guys out there have any experience with the 5 star tune program? I tow a 2000 crv. I have seen some good reviews on the 5 star. But I also saw another product called Ultra Tune? Or UPFORD Ultra Tune.

Anyway, any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Greg R.Cypress, TX.
14 REPLIES 14

scbwr
Explorer II
Explorer II
I found the 5 Star Tune was worth getting just for the improvement in the transmission shift patterns. I don't think there was any change in gas mileage. I do think it improves acceleration in such situations as merging onto a highway. And, I have the 5 speed transmission.
2012 Newmar Bay Star 3302
Blue Ox Avail
BrakeBuddy Advantage
2015 Malibu

"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Ok. I forgot about this post. I got my tune 3 months ago. Much better drivability. I’m towing a 14 Explorer with 2 bikes minimum and now a kayak. The difference is incredible. No more speed limiter, I set it to the max speed limit of 125mph ( I could’ve removed it all together, but I didn’t want to be completely unsafe.
It accelerates much better, throttle response is much improved. As of right now I gained approx. .3 mpg. That was in cool weather. I’ll guess at .5 improvement max, which will put me at 6 mpg.
We are leaving on our east trip for 2 weeks on July 2nd, so I’ll have a good feel for how it is after that trip.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

railsbackg
Explorer
Explorer
I finally got around to buying and installing this tuning program. I bought a new tow vehicle, 2019 Jeep Cherokee. Set it all up to tow, and towed it in the factory setting. Then I installed the program on my way home and it changed it completely on how well it pulled with the shift patterns after the install. I am quite pleased so far. Only have about a 100 miles on it so far. But going on a big trip in August and will give it a real good test. But really happy so far.

Yankee_Clipper
Explorer
Explorer
I bought the 5-Star for my rig, and the performance improvement has been pretty dramatic. The mileage has not changed, but the engine/tranny has given me what I paid for.
Yankee Clipper
2014 Winnebago Sightseer 33C on Ford F53 6.8l V10
2014 Honda CRV 4 down toad/Roadmaster Falcon2 with EvenBrake
TireMinder TPMS,Tiger, the Little Big Man minidachshund,
Rosey the minidachshund resident Princess-in-Chief

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Gjac wrote:
How much more HP do these tunes add or how many secs faster does it take you to go from 40-60 mpgs at WOT? Most reviews say it helps but never quantify how much performance is actually gained by actual users.

Its not about the HP and TQ, its about the improved trans shift strategy and doing away with the lagging throttle response!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

A bad day camping is

railsbackg
Explorer
Explorer
I am not really looking for more HP, and I certainly am not concerned about fuel mileage. But if it helps with the in and out of the transmission all the time on the slightest of hills it will be worth the money for me.

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
How much more HP do these tunes add or how many secs faster does it take you to go from 40-60 mpgs at WOT? Most reviews say it helps but never quantify how much performance is actually gained by actual users.

railsbackg
Explorer
Explorer
I wish I knew someone that has used that UPFORD, or Ultra RV tune. Probably not that much different than the 5 star. But would be nice to hear some info on that one.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
railsbackg wrote:
dodge guy wrote:
I had the 5 sat tune in my 02 Excursion. It was a night and day difference in how it towed. He improved shift programming alone was worth it. I gained about .5 mpg towing my 9300lb TT. It does give you a bit more power, but that's not why I got it.
I will be getting it for my 2012 F53 V-10, they have a sale right now for $440. What I want fixed on my 12 is the over safe and intrusive drive by wire. You don't get full throttle when you need it, the stock program only gives you what it was programmed to, which isn't much. More power is always nice, but ide rather see an increase in mileage. However I have heard there are no gains in that area. I will still be getting one.

DG,

Thanks for the reply. I have no interest in the fuel mileage, it's poor at best and will always be. You accept that when you buy a motorhome. But this 2015 Fleetwood, when it just see's an over pass coming it downshifts, and its maddening at times. So it seems that most of the reviews claim that it improves the shifting set points. I have seen a few reviews on the other tune product, but it seems the 5 star is by far the preferred tune for the f53 v10. It is due for an inspection the 4th month of 21, so not sure if I want to install now, or wait until after that. Or just get it inspected early and install it.

And although I live outside of Houston, with not much chance of a hard freeze, it is in storage right now and I still winterize it.

Yep, mine is the same way. In fact I lose considerable speed on slight inclines! In fact on I90 coming up out from the Missouri River I’ll lose about 25mph. And that’s not a huge incline, just a river valley! My old V-10 Excursion would hold 70 coming up from there. Now I’m lucky to hold 45! I know I’m heavier, but it’s more HP/TQ and one more gear in the trans. Can’t wait to drive it with the tune!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

A bad day camping is

railsbackg
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
I had the 5 sat tune in my 02 Excursion. It was a night and day difference in how it towed. He improved shift programming alone was worth it. I gained about .5 mpg towing my 9300lb TT. It does give you a bit more power, but that's not why I got it.
I will be getting it for my 2012 F53 V-10, they have a sale right now for $440. What I want fixed on my 12 is the over safe and intrusive drive by wire. You don't get full throttle when you need it, the stock program only gives you what it was programmed to, which isn't much. More power is always nice, but ide rather see an increase in mileage. However I have heard there are no gains in that area. I will still be getting one.

DG,

Thanks for the reply. I have no interest in the fuel mileage, it's poor at best and will always be. You accept that when you buy a motorhome. But this 2015 Fleetwood, when it just see's an over pass coming it downshifts, and its maddening at times. So it seems that most of the reviews claim that it improves the shifting set points. I have seen a few reviews on the other tune product, but it seems the 5 star is by far the preferred tune for the f53 v10. It is due for an inspection the 4th month of 21, so not sure if I want to install now, or wait until after that. Or just get it inspected early and install it.

And although I live outside of Houston, with not much chance of a hard freeze, it is in storage right now and I still winterize it.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

A bad day camping is

railsbackg
Explorer
Explorer
stripit thanks for your reply. I have seen lots of good reviews for it. Mine is in and out of the transmission on the slightest of inclines. I have to do something. I think the 5 star has many more users than the UPFORD ford ultra tune.

Thanks again.

stripit
Explorer
Explorer
I had a 2018 34 ft Holiday Rambler that I towed a 2015 Cadillac SRX with. I added the 5 Star tune and it made the V-10 "wake up" and seemed to acclerate and shift better. Never saw any fuel mileage increase, but liked driving the rig more so probably used the acclerator pedal more? Was going to sell the rig so removed the 5 Star and had forgot how dull it was without. Ended up selling to a relative so put the 5 Star back in and showed the new buyer the difference, he said LEAVE IT hooked up!! No comparrison in with and without.
Stacey Frank
2016 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40AP
2019 Tesla Model X
2015 Cadillac SRX we Tow
1991 Avanti Convertible

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
Just bought a 2010 Winnie Vista and will be towing a 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee, following this one as well.