cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

summer in a national forest

soon2bexpat
Explorer
Explorer
Are you a van dweller? Own an RV? Needed a reason to get one?

Spend the summer in the cool mountains of northern Arizona!
We’re hiring two to three people (couple or singles) to work in the newly remodeled kitchen of our BBQ & pizza restaurant. Start as early as March, stay as long as 12/15 (possibly year-round, if that’s what you want).

Will train.

You get a full hook-up site, shift meal, and pay for all hours worked. We pay all cooks $20 an hour plus a share of the tips. During the season, we’ll be open for breakfast, lunch and dinner 7 days a week, so your work hours are flexible. Looking for those who can work 30-40 hours per week.

With a brand new menu, new equipment, and new chef, come work at Happy Jack Lodge in the Coconino National Forest, 40 minutes south of Flagstaff. Near Sedona, the Grand Canyon, and less than two hours from Phoenix. Hunt elk, deer and turkey. Fishing nearby. Fantastic hiking at the Mongollan Rim.

The new menu is designed to be as easy to serve as possible. Because of the Covid restrictions, we serve to-go only and will be continuing that even after the crisis is over.

My name is John and I am the new executive chef. I’m at the Imperial Dam LTVA until late February, so send me a PM if you are interested and I’ll answer all your questions. I'm doing the hiring, so please do not call the Lodge. They'll just tell you to contact me.
Kodachrome Time Machine, my vintage photo collection from the 1940s to the 1970s: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCff0z54NyAfuAjUST896l6g
14 REPLIES 14

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
Were you folks like this after the first 9/11, too? Did you make fun of the president when he shut down the airports? Did you call up your congresscritters and tell them you opposed the hunt for Osama bin Laden, and that people die every day and the bombing was no big deal? Or were the first 3,000 people more important than 300,000?

I realize it's frightening to admit to yourself that something is dangerous. It's so much easier to stick your head in the sand and go about business as usual and pretend nothing is happening. It takes a lot of courage to admit what is going on in this country, that we are having a 9/11 every single day, 7 days a week, and that you might be next.

But I think if you look within yourself you will find the courage to accept that the world really has changed.
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

bob_nestor
Explorer III
Explorer III
GDS-3950BH wrote:
LOL....an RVnet classic.

I guess some assume the entire country has been locked down at home, or working from home, and no one has been going out in the bad scary world every day for the last 9 months to earn a living?

Yeah, it's pretty pathetic when someone posts an opportunity allowing others the freedom to decide for themselves if they want to avail themselves of it, then a bunch of nay-sayers jump all over it trying to shut it down, scare people away from it just to enforce their own narrow view of the world. It's like the novel "1984" has come to life and we're living it.

GDS-3950BH
Explorer
Explorer
LOL....an RVnet classic.

I guess some assume the entire country has been locked down at home, or working from home, and no one has been going out in the bad scary world every day for the last 9 months to earn a living?

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
Soon2bexpat. I'm sure there are many looking for a kitchen job as so many are gone for good.
Personally we don't need to work but do enjoy volunteering where we can keep our hrs to what we feel comfortable.
I also know chicken little is alive and well and waiting for the sky to fall.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
“A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.” Lao Tzu

wiskeyVI
Explorer
Explorer
You didn't offend me soon2be....Thanks for the post.
That's a great area to be, one of our favorites!
Take care.

soon2bexpat
Explorer
Explorer
Wow. Where do I start?

I just wanted to let people be aware of our hiring. Many workampers are looking for jobs. I believe this one is a fairly high paying gig.

I wasn't aware that I had to list all of the Covid precautions we are taking. But we are in accordance with the AZ health dept. restaurant guidelines. In addition, kitchen staff doesn't even come in contact with customers.

Also, I don't understand how the thread got to a discussion of vaccines. That appears to be against this forums rules.

And as far as my handle bothering people- are you kidding me? I joined in 2010- that's ten years ago. At that time, I was hoping to retire in Paris. It didn't happen. I didn't bother to change my forum name because, who in the world would care? For someone to read something ominous and un-American into that is ridiculous. And as executive chef, it falls on me to do the hiring.

Anyway, I am trying to get the mods to delete this post. I apologize for offending all of you, but, again, I just thought people would want to know about a good paying job for workampers, in the workamper forum. My bad.
Kodachrome Time Machine, my vintage photo collection from the 1940s to the 1970s: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCff0z54NyAfuAjUST896l6g

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
The numbers I’m seeking, Naio, show half of all Americans are wary of Covid vaccines. We will never get to 99.9% IMO.

Yes, that was my point. We are not going to get everyone vaccinated, so we will have to continue precautions for some time. Certainly through next summer.
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
soon2bexpat wrote:
Are you a van dweller? Own an RV? Needed a reason to get one?

Spend the summer in the cool mountains of northern Arizona!
We’re hiring two to three people (couple or singles) to work in the newly remodeled kitchen of our BBQ & pizza restaurant. Start as early as March, stay as long as 12/15 (possibly year-round, if that’s what you want).

Will train.

You get a full hook-up site, shift meal, and pay for all hours worked. We pay all cooks $20 an hour plus a share of the tips. During the season, we’ll be open for breakfast, lunch and dinner 7 days a week, so your work hours are flexible. Looking for those who can work 30-40 hours per week.

With a brand new menu, new equipment, and new chef, come work at Happy Jack Lodge in the Coconino National Forest, 40 minutes south of Flagstaff. Near Sedona, the Grand Canyon, and less than two hours from Phoenix. Hunt elk, deer and turkey. Fishing nearby. Fantastic hiking at the Mongollan Rim.

The new menu is designed to be as easy to serve as possible. Because of the Covid restrictions, we serve to-go only and will be continuing that even after the crisis is over.

My name is John and I am the new executive chef. I’m at the Imperial Dam LTVA until late February, so send me a PM if you are interested and I’ll answer all your questions. I'm doing the hiring, so please do not call the Lodge. They'll just tell you to contact me.

This post should stand with its own merits.
who gives any one of us the right to think they are right or wrong.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
SDcampowneroperator wrote:
RV. net handle soon2beexpat concerns me. Read your own concerns into that handle. Poor choice for an American employer/ entreprenuer.
We researched our applicants, gave them everything to researce us. Only the owner, credentialed managers of a business should be recruiting.
John is new exec Chef. wonderful, but not the ultimately responsible person for staff , accommodation, compensation. Beyond
Sorry, John, I understand your best intentions. BUT
Have your owner/ manager team with the business repost due to its their responsibility, liability, with much more detailed quality of rv lodging space, An workcamper should get the best site and exceptional value. treatment
As a past 19yrs. + employer of work sharing staff, to recruit the best and keep them, through a season or more requires a more refined touch from a more invested person.

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
RV. net handle soontobeexpat concerns me. Read your own concerns into that handle. Poor choice for an American employer/ entreprenuer.
We researched our applicants, gave them everything to researce us. Only the owner, credentialed manager of a business should be taken seriously.
This guy is phishing.

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
I had covid in March. I had an extremely mild case, didn't have to go to the hospital or anything. Wasn't even sick enough to be in bed, most of the time.

In early July, I was 98% better, when I got hit with the infamous month 4 relapse. I got much worse. Had to be on a steroid inhaler for my lungs, which I am still on.

Forest fires in September made me worse again. I can only be out of bed for about an hour a day now. And it's been 9 months of this.

Most people don't die from covid, but most people still have symptoms months later. And for people who have no symptoms at all, 52% of them have heart damage and they don't know it until they get tested.

We don't know if covid is going to be like smoking, where everyone thought they were ok, until their friends started dropping dead decades later.

You can go out and catch it if you want, but I don't recommend it. It's not really all that fun.

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
Know what they say about assumptions..

all facts known, you are more likely to be killed by a Monkey with a rock.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
The numbers I’m seeking, Naio, show half of all Americans are wary of Covid vaccines. We will never get to 99.9% IMO.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
Wow. Arizona setting, on a forum where most people are in high-risk groups, and not one mention of covid precautions.

I mean, even if they said that their assumption is that 99.9% of US residents will be vaccinated by the time this job starts, at least that would be something. It would be a weird assumption, but it would be something.