cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Microsoft Office 2016 Problem..

DD716TED
Explorer
Explorer
I just installed MS Office 2016 on my Windows 10 computer. Then I uninstalled the older MS Office 2010. PROBLEM: All of the MS Office Files Icons (both made using 2010 and 2016) on the desktop a just blank white squares instead of the Word, Excel, PP icons as in the past.. My other PC using Office 16 the Desktop Office File Icons are normal as they should be?? Windows just getting more and more frustrating every day trying to keep abreast of changes and problems.. thanks
6 REPLIES 6

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
wildtoad wrote:
I am so glad I no longer have to deal with Microsoft products as have moved 99.9% to IOS and iPhones and iPads, and no need for Excel which is the best. I only use a pc based product to do my taxes which is a once a year activity and next year will move to totally online.

Glad you did solve the problem.

Glad you can duck your head in the sand, going 100% "I" products eliminates nearly 99% of real usable productive software..

I would rather keep my options open to the bigger picture of the world and unfortunately that requires MS OS compatible software and hardware.

For many yrs I tried to ignore MS products, I was a rebel and found other non MS products to do things, unfortunately it took a lot of other non MS products which often didn't work as well and often added a lot of time due to lack of compatibly between those products.

The "I" products are designed for those that are less than able to install software or hardware and often are happy as a clam as long as they can get texts, emails and surf the wobbly web.. They don's seem to mind that they are limited to products designed and approved by the big "A"..

I have a friend like that, couldn't figure out how to copy MP3 files to a MP3 player even after I made him step by step instructions with full photos from a PC to the player.. Out of frustration he ponied up $300 for a "I" product and it did the work for him.. He has been happy as a clam since..

Unfortunately he is not able to figure out how to send me pix from his "I" product to my email addy for my Android phone or even my PC.. Seems he can only figure out how to send pix to others using the "I" products.. Go figure.

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am so glad I no longer have to deal with Microsoft products as have moved 99.9% to IOS and iPhones and iPads, and no need for Excel which is the best. I only use a pc based product to do my taxes which is a once a year activity and next year will move to totally online.

Glad you did solve the problem.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
DW and I got identical computers recently. We installed Office 2016 on both. Mine has been flawless for a year. Hers, well, at least twice a day she got random errors saying that Word couldn't access some folder, or couldn't write a file because it was read only. Also, every time, EVERY TIME, Windows updated, Word quit completely. She had to repair Office every single time Windows updated. But, like I said, my identical computer was flawless. It took about a year for me to find the solution (for us). I uninstalled the 32 bit version of Office 2016, rebooted the computer, and forced Office to install the 64 bit version (on our 64 bit Windows 10 Home machines). No problems now in about 3 months. Why Microsoft installed the 32 bit version of Office is beyond me.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

DD716TED
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies.. I was able to do a repair of Office 2016 and it is now working.. You were right that I should have removed 2010 before installing the newer Office 2016 program. Nothing is ever easy.. just a note.. The Wife and I thought we would take the trailer and go someplace for New Years eve just to get away and relax.. W R O N G .. apparently every other RVer on the planet earth had the same idea.. No campgounds within 100 miles had available camp sites..

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Click on the Start Icon, scroll to the Icon you want like Excel or Word. Ctrl Click on the Icon and drag it to the desktop. Right click on the desktop Icon and rename as desired. Copy the old desktop Icon to the Recycle Bin.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
File associations were removed when Office 2010 was uninstalled..

Should have uninstalled Office 2010 before you installed 2016, sloppy code now days..

You can try to manually associate the tiles.

Found easy instructions on how to do that HERE

Found more info on reseting file associations HERE that may be helpful..