Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Ford F-250 7.3 Gas Engine Axle Ratios
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Ford F-250 7.3 Gas Engine Axle Ratios

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Me Again

Sunbird(Wa)/snowbird(Az)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/18/20 06:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TECMike wrote:

Thanks for the input, everyone. I would like to think old 7.3 diesel is in good shape. We keep good Bilstein shocks on it, Michelin tires, kept all the fluids changed and never abused it. Garage kept. Most of its life, and has been pulling trailers and highway use, but that are what diesels are engineered for. I probably won't wear it out; it will wear us out!

However, the 7.3 gas engine was engineered for simplicity, hard use, and built with HD parts, I read. I admire that. So it is certainly an option for us if we ever decide to part with our trusty "Bubba". Just wish reported MPG was better.

"Just wish reported MPG was better.", that is one of the reason that diesel pickups became popular. I have had three RAM/Cummins trucks and loved all three. The 2015 no longer has to work that hard pulling our 8K TT back and forth to Arizona. It was paid for before we got on the plane to go get it in Sept 2015, so there is not driving force to replace it with a new gasser that would cost more than we paid for the 2015. You might consider a low mileage diesel that is a few years old. These newer diesel are light years ahead of my old 2001.5 RAM and your 7.3 power stroke. I love my 3.42 gears. It is a freeway cruiser in 6th, yet towed the 16K 5th wheel just fine in 5th gear. In my book, the uconnect system in the RAM is heads and shoulders ahead of Ford's sync system. We have that in our 2020 Ford Edge ST, so I do have a comparison.

Chris

Ford Edge ST Twin Turbo 2.7L V6 335HP and 380 Lb Ft - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome. Retired and enjoying it!

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 12/18/20 08:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I’d say why would one spend $50-60k on a tow rig with the biggest engine and NOT get the best performance out of it with deep gears.
Not like it’s winding up at highway speeds with the 10 speed.
That’s like ordering a pepperoni pizza because you like pepperoni and opting for less pepperoni...

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

TECMike

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 12/18/20 11:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No question, the newer diesels are much more powerful and nicer than our old 2002 7.3 diesel.

I have been told, however, by diesel mechanics/technicians, to BE SURE to get a warranty of some type if I were to buy a newer used diesel three or four years old.

Hannibal

Tampa Bay Area

View Profile

Posted: 12/18/20 01:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

I’d say why would one spend $50-60k on a tow rig with the biggest engine and NOT get the best performance out of it with deep gears.
That’s like ordering a pepperoni pizza because you like pepperoni and opting for less pepperoni...

Fuel mileage is also part of the best performance factor. With a taller ratio, the transmission is less busy, especially with a ten speed. And there’s no logic in making the 1st two gears virtually useless unless you’re going to be rock crawling. Makes more sense to have lower rpm at the top when not towing.
Less pepperoni is healthier.

2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'

LanceRKeys

Amarillo, TX

View Profile

Posted: 12/22/20 04:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lwiddis wrote:

Do you need a 4.30 rear axle with 7.3 liter engine? Texas is far from the Rockies, Sierra and Appalachians.

Not all parts of Texas! I can be in the Rockies in a few hours.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 12/23/20 10:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hannibal wrote:

Grit dog wrote:

Fuel mileage is also part of the best performance factor. With a taller ratio, the transmission is less busy, especially with a ten speed. And there’s no logic in making the 1st two gears virtually useless unless you’re going to be rock crawling. Makes more sense to have lower rpm at the top when not towing.
Less pepperoni is healthier.

Nah, bud.
If the first 2 gears were virtually useless except for rock crawling then 4wd trucks wouldn’t have had low range transfer cases since the beginning of time and there would be NO need for diesels with 2.5x the torque as the gassers.
Now, around Tampa, I agree with you, however a new 7.3 10 speed , 4.30s runs right at 2000rpms at 70 mph.
If anything it’s making better use of more gears more of the time compared to a tall geared truck. But what is the intended purpose? Towing, even some of the time, deeper gears preferable. Running bobtail across Montana every day at 100mph, I’d opt for the 3.55s.

Btw if extra ?? is going to hurt you, you have bigger health issues and shouldn’t eat any at all!
Edit, the ?? Was a pepperoni pizza emoji! Lol

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 12/23/20 10:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Now if a say, 1mpg difference is achievable over 100k miles, that is about 550 gallons and $1200 at current avg fuel prices.
So say 5 years or $240/year in fuel savings. Or $20/month. IF you’re not towing. Taller gears won’t do any better towing.
I personally wouldn’t sacrifice the best performance for 1-1/2 lunches at Taco time or 1 case of beer a month.
If you can afford that truck it doesn’t matter. If you can’t, then it’s the wrong truck and you make bad financial decisions, so may as well have the most fun doing it!

And anecdotally, the next guy who buys your truck will be more apt to buy it or haggle less on price if he’s getting the best performing package overall. So subtract that from your theoretical $1200 savings as well.

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 12/23/20 01:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As I have said with a 10 speed the mileage difference will be minuscule! If you plan on towing anything, always go with the lowest gear available. Makes no sense to saddle a truck designed for towing with a higher gear.

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

PastorCharlie

NC

View Profile

Posted: 12/23/20 05:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I prefer my 2000 F350 7.3 diesel DRW to my son's 2017 F350 diesel DRW truck. His is a very great truck and does a great job towing.

The difference is my truck pulls in overdrive where his will drop out of overdrive. So the gears will be either matched in the trans or diff. His truck running empty with two passengers does 70 MPH at 1,900 RPMs. His truck has 440 HP. My truck with two passengers does 70 MPH at 2,400 RPMs. My truck has 235 HP.

The 7.3 diesels can be chipped to increase their HP and Torque without harming the engine if not done so excessively. Perhaps a 50-100 HP increase. A school bus and garbage truck does not need 440 HP therefore the 7.3 is detuned to fit the intended use. Who has ever seen a school bus or garbage truck burning rubber?

My 1987 Jeep Wrangler with two passenger does 75 MPH at 1,900 RPMs.

FishOnOne

The Great State of Texas

View Profile

Posted: 12/23/20 06:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

PastorCharlie wrote:

I prefer my 2000 F350 7.3 diesel DRW to my son's 2017 F350 diesel DRW truck. His is a very great truck and does a great job towing.

The difference is my truck pulls in overdrive where his will drop out of overdrive. So the gears will be either matched in the trans or diff. His truck running empty with two passengers does 70 MPH at 1,900 RPMs. His truck has 440 HP. My truck with two passengers does 70 MPH at 2,400 RPMs. My truck has 235 HP.

The 7.3 diesels can be chipped to increase their HP and Torque without harming the engine if not done so excessively. Perhaps a 50-100 HP increase. A school bus and garbage truck does not need 440 HP therefore the 7.3 is detuned to fit the intended use. Who has ever seen a school bus or garbage truck burning rubber?

My 1987 Jeep Wrangler with two passenger does 75 MPH at 1,900 RPMs.

Your sons 2017 has two overdrive gears so most likely it pulls in overdrive as well.

As for burning rubber that is controlled by your right foot so you don't have to if you don't want to.

Every once in a while I drive our 2002 7.3 PSD truck and there's no way I would ever go back to one even if they were offered as a brand new truck.

'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs
"200k Mile Club"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Ford F-250 7.3 Gas Engine Axle Ratios
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.