Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Ford F-250 7.3 Gas Engine Axle Ratios
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Ford F-250 7.3 Gas Engine Axle Ratios

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev
RoyJ

Vancouver, BC

View Profile

Posted: 01/03/21 08:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mich800 wrote:

There seems to be a common misconception about these higher gear transmissions. People seem to think these transmissions row through every gear sequentially under all circumstances. The big advantage is the ability to use different gear patterns based on load requirements. It is not just the bookend gears that make the difference. It is the ability to maximize fuel economy and performance under widely different acceleration and load scenarios.

Only the GM/Ford 10 speed and ZF/Chrysler 9 spds skip ratios. The 8HP70 ZF based Chrysler does go through every gear sequentially, even light throttle empty.

I think we're both making the same point (correct me if I'm wrong), which is when every gear ratio is used on a 10 spd, the rear end ratio becomes irrelevant. Except starting out from a dead stop as I mentioned above.

Hannibal

Tampa Bay Area

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/21 03:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We just returned from a trip with our F-250 FX4 7.3L 10spd 3.55 towing our TT in sig. More than plenty of power. Backing into the side yard through grass and soft ground with plenty of grunt just above idle. In 4 Lo, I have to ride the brake. The only thing 4.30 gears would do is reduce fuel efficiency and make it sound like I needed another gear at the top end.

2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/21 08:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hannibal wrote:

We just returned from a trip with our F-250 FX4 7.3L 10spd 3.55 towing our TT in sig. More than plenty of power. Backing into the side yard through grass and soft ground with plenty of grunt just above idle. In 4 Lo, I have to ride the brake. The only thing 4.30 gears would do is reduce fuel efficiency and make it sound like I needed another gear at the top end.

what gear is the truck running in at 65-70 both towing and non-towing?

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

kellem

Shenandoah valley,VA

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/21 07:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dodge guy wrote:

Hannibal wrote:

Non towing at 65-70 will always be in 10th gear unless of course the engine needs to work to climb grade.
My 7.3 3.55 is at 1600 RPMS at 70 mph.

In tow mode, 9-10 are locked out and every gear is used on take off regardless of demand, no gear skipping like running empty.

LanceRKeys

Amarillo, TX

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/21 04:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Does tow mode automatically lock out 9 and 10, or do you force it to do that? Still towing in OD, not bad!

Hannibal

Tampa Bay Area

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/21 06:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dodge guy wrote:

Hannibal wrote:

Running empty, it shifts to 10th at 50~mph to run 1200~rpm. Towing 60mph, it likes 8th. I don’t know yet if it’ll shift to 9th or 10th towing 65-70. Traffic is thick in central Florida and, with Covid, we haven’t been out much or for very far.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Ford F-250 7.3 Gas Engine Axle Ratios
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.