Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Ford F-250 7.3 Gas Engine Axle Ratios
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Ford F-250 7.3 Gas Engine Axle Ratios

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next
TECMike

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 12/11/20 06:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Is there much difference in towing milage, and around town/highway mileage with the new F-250 7.3 gas engine with rear gear options?

Considering 3.55 or 4.30 axles ratios. Any input is helpful.

Lwiddis

Monterey, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/11/20 07:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Do you need a 4.30 rear axle with 7.3 liter engine? Texas is far from the Rockies, Sierra and Appalachians.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flag pole. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist14 yr. Army vet-11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 12/11/20 07:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What transmission?

What usage...daily driver and occasion tow
OR tow only?

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 12/11/20 08:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As with any gasser, the deeper gears are always the best way to go. And with the 10speed the mileage loss will be small if any loss at all.

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 12/11/20 08:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TECMike wrote:

Is there much difference in towing milage, and around town/highway mileage with the new F-250 7.3 gas engine with rear gear options?

Considering 3.55 or 4.30 axles ratios. Any input is helpful.

The only transmission available is the new 10R140.

The 4.30 would be great for pulling stumps or towing over 10,000 lbs, but the fuel economy would not be very good. It depends if they can program the transmission to start in 3rd or even 4th with a light load (driver only).

Personally, I would go with the 3.73 and electronic locking differential.

TECMike

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 12/12/20 08:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Been pulling trailers 45 plus years, starting with pop-ups. Most of our travel trailer towing these days is about 600 miles one way to 8K ft. mountains, the Texas coast, and to Nashville, Tennessee.

Our trailer weighs 6000lbs wet and loaded, with about 400 lbs. of generator and gear in bed of the truck. Currently we have an old bullet proof 7.3 2002 diesel which wife and I have owned and enjoyed tremendously for 17 years. We average 13 mpg towing. But like me, our wonderful truck is getting old with 255,000 miles on it.

Do not want to plan long trips going from gas stations to gas stations, as a couple we travel/camp with must do with their 2012 Chevy 3/4 ton gasser towing about 7000 lbs. trailer.

We are Ford folks..Blue Oval all the way. Could afford a new 6.7 diesel, but there are a lot of new hidden maintenance costs that go along with all new 2020 diesels.

Just thinking our next truck might be the new Ford F-250 with the 7.3 gas engine. But the reported terrible MPG towing gives me a lot of pause.

Real world towing and around town mileage from 7.3 gas owners would be appreciated. Perhaps there has been improvement in the 2021 models?

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 12/12/20 09:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TECMike wrote:

We are Ford folks..Blue Oval all the way. Could afford a new 6.7 diesel, but there are a lot of new hidden maintenance costs that go along with all new 2020 diesels.

I would not say the diesel maintenance costs are "hidden", unless, like you, you have an older diesel that does NOT require DEF !

TECMike wrote:

Just thinking our next truck might be the new Ford F-250 with the 7.3 gas engine. But the reported terrible MPG towing gives me a lot of pause.

Real world towing and around town mileage from 7.3 gas owners would be appreciated. Perhaps there has been improvement in the 2021 models?

I would not condemn the gas 7.3L just yet. Give it a full year and keeping looking for feedback !

Ford put a lot of money into that engine (and the 10R140 transmission) in order to replace the old V10. They had two goals for a gasoline engine : more power and better fuel economy than the V10. With the 4.30 rear axle, it will pull a ton, but that will hurt fuel economy.

Check the fuel tank size !

blofgren

Surrey, B.C.

View Profile

Posted: 12/12/20 09:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TECMike wrote:

Been pulling trailers 45 plus years, starting with pop-ups. Most of our travel trailer towing these days is about 600 miles one way to 8K ft. mountains, the Texas coast, and to Nashville, Tennessee.

Our trailer weighs 6000lbs wet and loaded, with about 400 lbs. of generator and gear in bed of the truck. Currently we have an old bullet proof 7.3 2002 diesel which wife and I have owned and enjoyed tremendously for 17 years. We average 13 mpg towing. But like me, our wonderful truck is getting old with 255,000 miles on it.

Do not want to plan long trips going from gas stations to gas stations, as a couple we travel/camp with must do with their 2012 Chevy 3/4 ton gasser towing about 7000 lbs. trailer.

I think the 7.3L gas engine would be good for your application, but it certainly will not get the fuel economy your trusty old 7.3L diesel does. I believe that they offer a large gas tank on them now which would likely help alleviate your concerns of frequent stops for gas. Another option would be to shop for a mint 7.3L diesel truck, but be ready to pay premium $ for it!

2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, RAM 20k sliding hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 12/12/20 11:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

3.73 is a great all around gear ratio.
Positraction or the equivalent matters.

TECMike

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 12/12/20 01:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the input, everyone. I would like to think old 7.3 diesel is in good shape. We keep good Bilstein shocks on it, Michelin tires, kept all the fluids changed and never abused it. Garage kept. Most of its life, and has been pulling trailers and highway use, but that are what diesels are engineered for. I probably won't wear it out; it will wear us out!

However, the 7.3 gas engine was engineered for simplicity, hard use, and built with HD parts, I read. I admire that. So it is certainly an option for us if we ever decide to part with our trusty "Bubba". Just wish reported MPG was better.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Ford F-250 7.3 Gas Engine Axle Ratios
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.