cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

6.6 Chevy gas engine

Busdriver
Explorer
Explorer
? For any one with the new chevy 6.6 gas . About what is your fuel mileage not towing ? If you have towed with it fuel mileage

Busdriver

2019 2500 Chevy Duramax , - 2017 Grand Design 303 RLS
30 REPLIES 30

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
Dadoffourgirls wrote:
Sjm9911 wrote:
... I will let you all know how it handles in the snow with factory tires in a few days. I have to go into work during the storm over here and im sure if we get a foot or two of snow it will not get cleared. Not sure if i will add weight to the bed yet. I might just see how it handles by itself. It seems heavy enough to get traction without adding weight. But im still undecided as getting stuck is not on my to do list.

I would add a couple hundred pounds. I think that makes the difference for snow traction. I ran between 200 lbs and 400 lbs last winter based on when I needed to feed the Goats or put salt in the water softner.

Unfortunately, i will not get to drive it in the snow. At least not yet. Got called in early so was at work before the snow started and will leave after its done. I really wanted to test it out.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

Dadoffourgirls
Explorer
Explorer
Sjm9911 wrote:
... I will let you all know how it handles in the snow with factory tires in a few days. I have to go into work during the storm over here and im sure if we get a foot or two of snow it will not get cleared. Not sure if i will add weight to the bed yet. I might just see how it handles by itself. It seems heavy enough to get traction without adding weight. But im still undecided as getting stuck is not on my to do list.

I would add a couple hundred pounds. I think that makes the difference for snow traction. I ran between 200 lbs and 400 lbs last winter based on when I needed to feed the Goats or put salt in the water softner.
Dad of Four Girls
Wife
Employee of GM, all opinions are my own!
2017 Express Ext 3500 (Code named "BIGGER ED" by daughters)
2011 Jayco Jayflight G2 32BHDS

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
^ But the cab is the same size as a new GM 1500, so?

And the hard to find diesel one time reason is classic!

I was comparing the size to the old one i had. Much more room in this one. Its also about the windshild, i didn't look at the 1500s this year though. On my 2012 sieara 1500, my eye veiw was at the top of the windsheild and my head was a quarter inch off the roof. The 2002 sierra i had had a much larger windshield veiw when seated. Tbh , i probably could have gotten a sun roof on the 2020 and still have enough room to fit.

Yea, something always sticks in my mind. Lol. Plus i dont need it. Don't plan on going much bigger for a TT. I will let you all know how it handles in the snow with factory tires in a few days. I have to go into work during the storm over here and im sure if we get a foot or two of snow it will not get cleared. Not sure if i will add weight to the bed yet. I might just see how it handles by itself. It seems heavy enough to get traction without adding weight. But im still undecided as getting stuck is not on my to do list.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Formerly a pup owner.

gmckenzie
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:

With most everyone at 8-10 gears. Ridiculously good power output across most all gas and diesel trucks, what is the next โ€œbig thing?โ€ Iโ€™m running out of ideas to improve these trucks that donโ€™t involve modifying the laws of physics!

IMHO The next big thing will be working electric vehicles. Without range anxiety and with fast charging. But this will be far enough away that the current trucks are still good to buy.
2015 GMC Sierra 4x4 CC SB Max Trailer
2010 Cougar 30RKS

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
With 10spd transmissions and more torque offered lower in the rpm range with these big displacement NA engines, fuel economy doesn't suffer.....that was the goal.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^Its not necessarily about dropping rpms, itโ€™s about the right rpms at the right time.
10 speeds behind high revving gassers? I would agree, not necessary and 6 gears does 90% + of what 10 will do.
Comparing 5 vs 8 in our last 2 SRTs, honestly also not needed. Better but old was good.
And also not towing.
Imo 8 is the sweet spot and 10 is starting to get redundant on a gasser.
Diesel, about the same. 6 is ok, if theyโ€™re the right ratios, 8 is great, 10 has its place in super heavy towing, otherwise getting towards redundancy.

With most everyone at 8-10 gears. Ridiculously good power output across most all gas and diesel trucks, what is the next โ€œbig thing?โ€ Iโ€™m running out of ideas to improve these trucks that donโ€™t involve modifying the laws of physics!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Dadoffourgirls
Explorer
Explorer
Many are discrediting the 6 spd. I am sure that my fuel economy running empty may have been better with a 10 sp. However, here in Michigan, gooseneck towing 16k lbs I never thought I needed another "in between" gear. I am sure somebody has a chart of rpms at speed with 6 gears and with 10 gears. Maybe there would be one speed that I could have dropped rpms. I did most of my 16k lb towing at 55 mph, and did my TT (9400 lbs) at 65.
I also took my TT to Kansas and back in July, but used a Duramax with the 10sp. That allowed me to tow with comfort.
I know that I am biased toward the GM truck.
Dad of Four Girls
Wife
Employee of GM, all opinions are my own!
2017 Express Ext 3500 (Code named "BIGGER ED" by daughters)
2011 Jayco Jayflight G2 32BHDS

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
We live far from the metropolitonians where truck buyers were taught to be very biased.
If dad had a Chevy then by gosh you had better own Chevy's your entire life or it was considered BLASPHEMY.

As I got older, I strayed from this mentality and took my licks.
So as an unbiased truck owner, I've come to realize that whoever is offering the best package when I'm in need of a new truck then that's the truck that I end up purchasing.

Two very close friends own 2020 6.6 Silverado's, very sharp looking trucks and both very satisfied.....lots of HP per displacement.

My 2004 Dodge Ram 2500 needed to be retired so the process began to find a new truck to pull our 30ft trailer. Diesel was not a consideration as truck would sit for long periods.

At the end of year long process and research I found Ford to be one step ahead with the 7.3 10spd so bought 2021 F250 and been quite impressed.

I'm sure I would not have been disappointed with the Chevy 6.6 or Ram 6.4 , super nice trucks.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^ But the cab is the same size as a new GM 1500, so?

And the hard to find diesel one time reason is classic!

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
I will add, im tall and it has a lot more room for me in the cab. So everything is bigger. Some might not have these problems, but its nice to atually have head room and to be able to see out the front windsheild. Much better then the gmc 1500 I had. So far for me the 6 speed has not been an issue. But again my TT is light. Towed it on a few long trips this year. All mountains, I had no problems , gas millage was a bit better towing then with the 2012 GMC seirra 5.3 (?) with max tow package. I had plenty of power to pass in the deleware water gap area. With the 1500 I had to slow down to the truck lanes they put in because they cant pull the mountian. The 2500 , not only pulled it but could speed up to pass. And to be honest, thats what i wanted, more control. The 1500 could pull what i had, but the 2500 makes it less of a chore. And i also didnt want a diesel. I still remember going off to a state campgeound up by niagra falls, and my neighbor had to travel like 30 minutes to get to a station that diesel. Hunt and find is not for me. Im sure this is not normal, but it soured me on the diesel thing.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Formerly a pup owner.

gmckenzie
Explorer
Explorer
LITEPHIL wrote:
Very interested in the 6.6 gas 3/4 ton. Yes we are all spoiled these days, I remember the family of eight going up to the Sierras in my 54 Carryall/Suburban (that I still have) in the 60s, towing an 18 ft Aljo trailer and a Honda 90 on the front and rack on the roof. Dad was dancing between Granny and second all the way up and had to pull over a couple of times to cool her down and we ended up putting the motorcycle inside the trailer but what a journey that was.
My 2019 RST Silverado tows great with alot of power with the 5.3 and that 8 speed but once you tow with a 3/4 ton,it's hard to go back to a half ton.
I would like a ten speed but the couple people that I've talked to say its a non issue pretty much.

I'm skipping the 3/4 and going 1 ton. But that's more because of stupid tax rules in BC than what I need. Looking at Ford/GM, the 3500/350 is between $800 and $1,000 more than a comparable 2500/250, and gives around 800 lbs more payload. But in BC the 3/4 ton attracts a 3% luxury tax that is not applied to a 1 ton, so the 1 ton ends up cheaper out the door.

I like my Sierra, but with an 8,200 lbs trailer I am right at the limit according to the scale I went over last summer. But I do not want a diesel.
2015 GMC Sierra 4x4 CC SB Max Trailer
2010 Cougar 30RKS

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
LITEPHIL wrote:
Very interested in the 6.6 gas 3/4 ton. Yes we are all spoiled these days, I remember the family of eight going up to the Sierras in my 54 Carryall/Suburban (that I still have) in the 60s, towing an 18 ft Aljo trailer and a Honda 90 on the front and rack on the roof. Dad was dancing between Granny and second all the way up and had to pull over a couple of times to cool her down and we ended up putting the motorcycle inside the trailer but what a journey that was.
My 2019 RST Silverado tows great with alot of power with the 5.3 and that 8 speed but once you tow with a 3/4 ton,it's hard to go back to a half ton.
I would like a ten speed but the couple people that I've talked to say its a non issue pretty much.

Wow, you guys were the whos who of campers back then!
Must see pics of the Carryall though!

LITEPHIL
Explorer
Explorer
2022 Chevy Silverado RST Duramax NHT
1954 Chevy 3100 Carryall 4x4
2008 Salem T23FBL
04 FXDL Harley

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
gmckenzie wrote:
artie2908 wrote:
on a somewhat related subject... I have often wondered why the 6.6gas is compared to the Ford F250 7.3 gas 10speed? wouldnt a more aligned comparison be with the Ford F250 6.2 6 speed? That is Ford's gas entry level in the F250 and is much closer in engine displacement than 7.3 vs 6.6 It would be apples to apples and yes, I realize you can get the 10 speed in the 6.2 gas version but it's only in the top trim level.

Because they are both new engines for 2020 model year?

Been a GM guy for years, but between the 10 sp, choice of rear axle ratios and the e-locker, I'm probably buying a 7.3L F350 in the spring.

I agree, you have to compare new to new. Most just want to read about the latest/greatest.

The GM 6.0 6-speed and Ford 6.2 6-speed were apples/apples, and both good choices!

Agree, pretty hard to beat the Ford total package, in a new gasser!

Jerry