cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sweet Potato Casserole with Sorghum

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
We're adding this to all of our holiday menus. The sorghum adds that special touch.

Sweet Potato Casserole with Sorghum
Yield 10–12 servings

Ingredients

For the sweet potatoes:
o 7 pounds sweet potatoes (about 12 potatoes)
o 1/4 cup sorghum syrup
o 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, cut into small pieces while cold, then slightly softened at room temperature, plus 1 tablespoon for buttering the baking dish
o 1 1/2 tablespoons kosher salt

For the topping:
o 1/2 cup sugar
o 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
o 1/2 cup (1 stick) cold unsalted butter, diced
o 2 cups walnuts, coarsely chopped
o 1 tablespoon kosher salt
o 2/3 cup sorghum syrup

Directions
For the sweet potatoes:
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Put the potatoes on a foil-lined baking sheet and roast until tender throughout, 1 1/2 to 2 hours. When cool enough to handle, peel away the skin and put the pulp in a large mixing bowl.

Using a potato masher, blend the sweet potato pulp together with the syrup, butter, and salt until smooth. Lightly butter a large (9-by-12-by-2 1/2 inch) 3-quart baking dish and transfer the sweet potato mixture to a dish.

Topping
Preheat the oven to 350°F. In a medium mixing bowl, using your hands, mix together the sugar, flour, butter, peanuts, and salt until the butter chunks are pea size. (You are looking for a streusel-like topping here.)

Evenly distribute over the top of the sweet potato mixture. Bake until the topping is crisp and golden brown, about 30 minutes.

Transfer the baking dish to a cooling rack, and drizzle the casserole with the syrup, using a crosshatch pattern. Let the syrup sink into the topping for a few minutes before serving.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus
7 REPLIES 7

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
My late husband was from the south and he loved sorghum. Me not so much, but he wouldn't buy any except when we visited relatives down south. I believe he would have loved this recipe.

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
It's a world of many palates. Some would not dream of having a holiday without a candied yam or sweet potato casserole. To each their own. If we have an especially rich main course, our desserts tend to be lighter: lemon pies, Jello molds, or a light fruit pie.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins

Magnus

Diamond_c
Nomad
Nomad
I agree. I just butter and pepper it just like a regular potato.

Wanderlost
Nomad
Nomad
Much as I love sorghum syrup, I can't stand sweet potatoes all sweetened up with anything. Roasted with lots of butter is just fine.
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Czarny, black cat
Rainbow Bridge: Spotacus, Alexander the Grrreat, and so very many more

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Diamond c wrote:
Mmm I like sweet taters anyway you can fix ‘em. Any time of year, any time of day.

We do too. The sorghum is less sweet than maple syrup, brown sugar, corn syrup or honey. It’s has a slight herbal flavor to it. It’s my personal favorite of all the syrups.

Magnus

Diamond_c
Nomad
Nomad
Mmm I like sweet taters anyway you can fix ‘em. Any time of year, any time of day.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Even as a kid I never liked the 'sweet potato' casserole

WAY Too Sweet --- at least your recipe does have Marshmallows
1/2 Cup Sugar & 2/3 Cup Sorghum. Sugar overload

Love sweet taters...oven baked or chunked & roasted
Some butter, salt/pepper----done
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31