cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roku Streaming Stick +

BigDaddy1951
Explorer
Explorer
I have used an old roku stick in my motorhome several years and recently upgraded to the new stick + with volume control etc. It worked fine at home. When we travel and don’t have wifi, I would use my iPhone as a hotspot to watch an occasional football game etc. The old stick worked fine. The new one won’t recognize the remote if off wifi, even with the hotspot on. Tried all the remote resetting tricks and even downloaded the remote app to my phone. It said the Roku and remote had to both be connected to the same router. Is there a mobile router that I can use with my phone? I don’t use it enough to justify a mifi etc. Thanks for the advice.
3 REPLIES 3

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
BigDaddy1951 wrote:
I did that check. Apparently I am “blessed” with an enhanced remote! ??

Must come with the new Rokus.

You could try pairing your older remote with the newer Roku.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

BigDaddy1951
Explorer
Explorer
I did that check. Apparently I am “blessed” with an enhanced remote! ??

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
BigDaddy1951 wrote:
I have used an old roku stick in my motorhome several years and recently upgraded to the new stick + with volume control etc. It worked fine at home. When we travel and don’t have wifi, I would use my iPhone as a hotspot to watch an occasional football game etc. The old stick worked fine. The new one won’t recognize the remote if off wifi, even with the hotspot on. Tried all the remote resetting tricks and even downloaded the remote app to my phone. It said the Roku and remote had to both be connected to the same router. Is there a mobile router that I can use with my phone? I don’t use it enough to justify a mifi etc. Thanks for the advice.

I did a little googling around, because I'm curious how the phone hotspot will work with a Roku and its remote.

If you have an IR remote, the hotspot or wifi is irrelevant to the remote.

If you have a wifi remote, it has to find the network.

This is how you tell the difference.

One article I ran across said to make sure that the hotspot password has only letters and numbers, no special characters.

Big discussion of Iphone issues here.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board