Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Class C Motorhomes: Roof type - leaks
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Roof type - leaks

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
jdc1

Rescue, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 12/13/20 10:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I loved the aluminum roof on my 37' motor-home. Never had to do anything to it. Reflected heat a lot better than a rubber roof too. I wish I had an aluminum roof on my present 5th wheel. I wouldn't have had to re-coat it this last spring.

pauldub

North of Seattle

View Profile

Posted: 12/13/20 10:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lazy Daze is probably the only Class C with a metal roof.

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 12/13/20 10:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Be aware, too, that there are multiple types of membranes that at first glance might seem to be rubber roofs. Besides actual rubber, one can have a TPO roof (which is longer lasting than rubber) or one or two other more proprietary membranes. The differences may be important when making repairs or getting appropriate sealants, as not all such materials are recommended for all flexible roof types.

Gjac

Milford, CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/15/20 07:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No matter what type of roof you have there is the same number of cut outs for vents, AC's, skylights etc, this is where leaks occur. I have a 24 year out MH with a rubber roof(EPDM) it has never leaked through the membrane. I recaulk and inspect at least once a year and never had a roof leak. I have resealed most of my windows due to water leaks because butyl rubber tape dries out. I have seen MH's with FG roofs with a lot of water damage because caulking cracked and water got in. So I would be more concerned how the roof was maintained rather than the material the roof was made of.

olfarmer

Iowa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/18/20 11:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What ever kind of roof you get, maintenance is the most important. In a class C, look very carefully at the cab over, that is a common place for problems with a class C. Good luck with what ever you buy, just have fun!

Ed & Ruby & the 2 cats
2001 Winnebago Brave 30W
7.4 gas Work Horse Chassis
99 Jeep Grand Cherokee

hotjag1

Lake Chelan, Wa/Lake Havasu, Az.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/19/20 10:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Both of the motorhomes in my signature have metal roofs. Had rubber roofs in previous motorhomes and much prefer having metal roofs for ease of maintenance.

The 1st thing I did when I purchased each one was to apply 4" wide Eternabond tape around the entire perimeter of the roof seams where the roof meets the sides and seams on the front and rear caps. I also apply Eternabond tape around all roof vents, skylights, antennae mounts, ladder, etc. Been using Eternabond on 8 different motorhomes for 20 years and never had a leak after applying this tape.

hotjag1
2003 40' Allegro Bus, 3 slides, 400hp 8.9 liter ISL Cummins

2000 24' Dynamax Isata

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Roof type - leaks
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.