cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with B&W Companion unhooking from hitch

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
So I have 10 1/2 years and 85,000 miles on my above mentioned hitch. We have been moving slowly to our winter gig while hitting NPs that the wife hadn't seen since she was 8. We have stayed in 27 campgrounds and unhitched at most other than a few overnights on flat sites.

So we pulled into a USACE park last night, our last before a days drive to our gig park for the winter. Site was not very level. I went to unhook, no big problem. Lowered the front jacks to take the weight off the hitch, hopped in the truck and placed in neutral to take any front/back pressure off of the pin. Got out pulled the safety pin and then pulled the release handle. I always check to see if the jaws have opened sometimes they haven't so I get back in the truck and shift from D to R with just the idle is.

Jaws still closed? Put truck back in neutral, raised the trailer a bit nothing. Lowered the truck still nothing and there is no pressure on the locking lever.

Of course this leaves me with a problem as we are a days drive 280 miles. I have to assume something is broke within the mechanism but does that mean the jaws are closed and unable to open or since their is no presure on the locking lever a strong pull could pull the jaws open and cause a possible disaster.

Any thoughts?
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
“A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.” Lao Tzu
51 REPLIES 51

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
HA, I have tried but ......

I hadn’t noticed, I’ll pay more attention. :B

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
MFL wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
...he kept moving. 🙂

Now that IS FUNNY!!:B Good one Howard!:C

I do think I have noticed, that both 12V, and 2014, have made some effort.

I have had a few members that did not get along with me!:E I just had the mods ban them...DONE!;)

Jerry

Yes , that one was a good one . 🙂

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
"I have had a few members that did not get along with me! I just had the mods ban them...DONE!"

HAAAAA, love it!

"BAD AZZ" Jerry
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
fj12ryder wrote:
...he kept moving. 🙂

Now that IS FUNNY!!:B Good one Howard!:C

I do think I have noticed, that both 12V, and 2014, have made some effort.

I have had a few members that did not get along with me!:E I just had the mods ban them...DONE!;)

Jerry

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
...he kept moving. 🙂
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
HA, I have tried but ......
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
cummins2014 wrote:
MFL wrote:
Lol, nice to read all the KIND words! I gots to say, I've not always been a do unto others kinda guy, but hey, I'm getting better. Nice guy...nah, but you know what place they finish!

Anywho...this thread was just for the Heavy Duty Hitch owners (club members). Thanks for stopping by Greg!:)

Jerry

I know ,I stepped out of line.

What's new? You and 12V need to bury the hatchet!
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
OP, my B/W has done this off and on since new. At first it was a bit annoying but I have got used to it. I just bungee the handle all the way open, rock forward/back VERY gently and pull out.

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
MFL wrote:
Lol, nice to read all the KIND words! I gots to say, I've not always been a do unto others kinda guy, but hey, I'm getting better. Nice guy...nah, but you know what place they finish!

Anywho...this thread was just for the Heavy Duty Hitch owners (club members). Thanks for stopping by Greg!:)

Jerry

I know ,I stepped out of line.

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
MFL wrote:

Anywho...this thread was just for the Heavy Duty Hitch owners (club members). Thanks for stopping by Greg!

Jerry

HA, in reality he's probably a closet B&W owner. Kinda like FISH is a closet RAM owner. 😉

Trust me ,I am not a closet anything, especially GOODYEAR . But I see you are monkey see monkey do :B

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
MFL wrote:

Anywho...this thread was just for the Heavy Duty Hitch owners (club members). Thanks for stopping by Greg!

Jerry

HA, in reality he's probably a closet B&W owner. Kinda like FISH is a closet RAM owner. 😉

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II

Jerry

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
MFL wrote:
cummins2014 wrote:
All this could be eliminated with the Andersen hitch , no zerks , grease , moving parts . No issues hitching , unhitching . No handles to have to reach for , easy to reach handle . No need for steps homemade or otherwise . Lightweight easy to install and remove. Etc Etc Etc .

The OP has a 20K GVWR FW. When you are towing heavy, you have to have a heavy duty REAL HITCH!!:C

Just for quoted poster's enjoyment, not to offend others.

Jerry

Jerry is an equal opportunity offender. :B

You have done well following in his footsteps :B

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
MFL wrote:
cummins2014 wrote:
All this could be eliminated with the Andersen hitch , no zerks , grease , moving parts . No issues hitching , unhitching . No handles to have to reach for , easy to reach handle . No need for steps homemade or otherwise . Lightweight easy to install and remove. Etc Etc Etc .

The OP has a 20K GVWR FW. When you are towing heavy, you have to have a heavy duty REAL HITCH!!:C

Just for quoted poster's enjoyment, not to offend others.

Jerry

Jerry is an equal opportunity offender. :B