Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Around the Campfire: More Reminiscing
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> More Reminiscing

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
kellem

Shenandoah valley,VA

View Profile

Posted: 12/14/20 06:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Is this an old people's thread ?

Ok I remember black&white TV's and the wife and I buying our first window AC.

I remember when I got a record player for Christmas accompanied by a Herb albert record.

I remember watching Ali Frazier fight and the undefeated Dolphins.

I remember Woodstock and rolling stones concerts.

Thankyou.

down home

south

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/14/20 08:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I remember walking to Thomas's store with rifle over my forearm for a box of Peters .22 shorts for $0.29 I think. Longs were 0$.40 or so. When Long Rifles came along about $0.59, but I don't really think they were that high.
Tool kit for Uncles. Model T was a roll of baling wire, Ford wrench, roll of tar tape, A stilsen wrench, tire spoon and wrench for wheel and a...a big box of inner tube patches and some for the tire and an extra inner tube, and big steel tire pump...and none of those levers shifted any gears, and the pedals did not connect to the throttle.Neighbor down the hill plowed pulling a Single Tree with his Model T and wife on the plow. House is still there and saw their daughter about 8 years ago.

wa8yxm

Davison Michigan (East of Flint)

View Profile

Posted: 12/15/20 04:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[qupote]A car came up and four or five men from the Union at 3M brought in great arm loads of groceries.

I grew up on a farm. but Farmers were kind of like that too.. one of our neighbors was injured and could not harvest his crops. A small army of Farmers with harvesting machines showed up one day and... Job done.. Just like that. My Dad was among the responders.

Though farmers are rather independent.

* This post was edited 12/15/20 08:39am by an administrator/moderator *

Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

down home

south

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/15/20 08:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In 2011 I think we had a tornado through the area. Roads blcoked with huge trees power down, homes destroyed and so on. neighbors who could bought pallets of water, toilet paper, spam and the like and army passed it out. Neighbors got into the buckets of tractors and cut tress over roads and shoved them off, The whole community, plus some good people from everywhere showed up to give a hand. Some who could bought many generators and went around to those who really had to have them. Those who did not have resources followed the lead of those who did. No Federal help ever showed up, that I'm aware of .They were in Alabama and Georgia where the TV stations were.
I got to tell you I was never so impressed and thankful to live here with these great people as Neighbors. WE only had one huge walnut pulled up.

mr. ed

Amarillo, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 12/15/20 09:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

down home wrote:

I remember walking to Thomas's store with rifle over my forearm for a box of Peters .22 shorts for $0.29 I think. Longs were 0$.40 or so. When Long Rifles came along about $0.59, but I don't really think they were that high.
Tool kit for Uncles. Model T was a roll of baling wire, Ford wrench, roll of tar tape, A stilsen wrench, tire spoon and wrench for wheel and a...a big box of inner tube patches and some for the tire and an extra inner tube, and big steel tire pump...and none of those levers shifted any gears, and the pedals did not connect to the throttle.Neighbor down the hill plowed pulling a Single Tree with his Model T and wife on the plow. House is still there and saw their daughter about 8 years ago.

Yep, I also remember the time when the clutch cable broke while driving my 70's vintage VW bus. I coasted to a stop next to a large field. In desperation I searched the field for anything I could use to replace the broken cable. I came across some baling wire. I then got under the VW and used that wire as a replacement. I recall that it held up until I finally got a different vehicle.

Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 12/15/20 09:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Betcha' many remember dropping by the gas station and tell the gas jocky to put in a dollars worth which was 5-6 gallons. Course many old '30s/'40s clunkers we drove didn't have gas tanks much larger.

Never saw a super market till the early '60s which was in the big city 65 miles away. Rural areas at a busy county dirt cross road and towns had mom and pop grocery stores.... every few blocks in town. Dad took mom to town every two weeks to buy groceries. She made all 5 stores as one store may have a meat counter....another had more selections of dry goods....others had a better selection of canned goods/etc.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 12/15/20 01:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JIMNLIN wrote:

Betcha' many remember dropping by the gas station and tell the gas jocky to put in a dollars worth which was 5-6 gallons. Course many old '30s/'40s clunkers we drove didn't have gas tanks much larger.

Never saw a super market till the early '60s which was in the big city 65 miles away. Rural areas at a busy county dirt cross road and towns had mom and pop grocery stores.... every few blocks in town. Dad took mom to town every two weeks to buy groceries. She made all 5 stores as one store may have a meat counter....another had more selections of dry goods....others had a better selection of canned goods/etc.
I remember the small Mom and Pop grocery stores scattered through neighborhood's although by then there was Dillon's, Safeway, and IGA store in town and all the Mom and Pop stores closed up. Couldn't compete with volume buying like the big stores. Also back then Mom and Pop restaurants and diners with the only chain being A&W, Sonic and Dairy Queen for ice cream.

When the grocery ad's came out Mom & Dad would hit all the stores for the specials and stock up. It was a special treat to go out and eat at a restaurant meals were cooked at home.

I grew up in the sixties.

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 12/15/20 01:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Farmers still help each other out when tragedy strikes.

* This post was edited 12/15/20 02:46pm by colliehauler *

navegator

San Diego CA.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/15/20 02:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Used to go to the Piggly Wiggly store with big sis to buy chewing gum that came wrapped in foil, went home so that big sis could unwarp the gum very carefully, I got the gum and she kept the foil she pressed them out and collected them in her school books, long time ago.

navegator

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 12/15/20 02:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

colliehauler wrote:

wa8yxm wrote:

[qupote]A car came up and four or five men from the Union at 3M brought in great arm loads of groceries.

I grew up on a farm. but Farmers were kind of like that too.. one of our neighbors was injured and could not harvest his crops. A small army of Farmers with harvesting machines showed up one day and... Job done.. Just like that. My Dad was among the responders.

Though farmers are rather independent.
It's still like that with farmers helping each other when tragedy strikes.

Ranchers same way....
Buddies Dad while on horse-back got butted/run over by a Charolais Bull
Killed the horse and broke his back

It was calf branding time

All the neighboring ranchers and hands showed up and got it done PLUS some of the Ranchers had their hands stay and run his ranch until he was back on his feet/healed

Just the way things are done

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> More Reminiscing
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.