Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: low coolant / add water?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Maintenance Issues & Tips

> low coolant / add water?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev
JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 12/18/20 07:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NRALIFR wrote:

For those who do your own coolant flush and fills, a good tool to have when it’s time to refill the system is a coolant lift. As complex as the plumbing can be on an engine nowadays, it almost impossible to get all the air out of some areas without one.

They can also be used to check for leaks, as they can pull a vacuum strong enough to flatten the big radiator hoses. Some leaks will show up better with vacuum than pressure.

I’ve got a UView Airlift, but there are other brands available.

[emoticon][emoticon]

Probably a good idea. DW's car, park with front about 6 inches high, and can fill like a old one.

JoeH wrote:

When you get ready to drive it, top it off then.

But, I would also look at the "overflow" container as well as the cap. On my F-53, that canister is pressurized and I had a cap go bad which resulted in lost coolant. A few years latter, the actual canister developed a crack which also caused a fluid loss.

This type of tank is often used to reduce the problem NRALIFR mentioned.

Sir Traveller

La Mesa Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 12/30/20 12:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

thanks to all for your time and suggestions, everything was helpful... I will start by checking the cap ... since I will not drive it for now, I won't add anything till I am ready to move, meanwhile I will try to find the matching coolant which appears to be green through the recovery tank

jeromep

Eastern Washington State

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/30/20 02:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I found this link to a coolant type chart at Ford Parts. 2003 looks like the year that Ford switched from green coolant to yellow/gold coolant.

https://parts.ford.com/content/dam/ford-parts/resources/motorcraftpdf/Antifreeze_Coolant_Usage_Chart.pdf

Click here.

Has your rig had a coolant flush in the past? If so, the shop that did the flush may have not put the correct coolant back in. Maybe, maybe not. If you look at the chart you will notice that there were still some vehicles that were using the green coolant about midway through the manufacturing year of 2003, but it looks like Ford made the decision to move to yellow coolant across the entire product line. I doubt there were any mechanical changes done to accommodate for this. That would indicate some interchangeability between the coolant types, but as others have indicated the yellow has a longer lifespan than the green.

I would not mix green and yellow. If you felt like changing back to yellow, then fix your leak, flush your entire system, then refill with yellow.

fred42

Charlotte, NC, USA

View Profile

Posted: 12/30/20 04:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have not changed or added coolant to my 2006 f53 as I bought it used. I am not familiar with the yellow gold coolant and have never used it in other vehicles. My 2006 chassis manual says:

• Add Motorcraft Premium Gold Engine Coolant (yellow-colored), VC-7–A (U.S., except CA, OR and NM),
VC-7–B (CA, OR and NM), meeting Ford Specification WSS-M97B51–A1.
Note: Use of Motorcraft Cooling System Stop Leak Pellets, VC-6, may darken the color of Motorcraft Premium Gold Engine Coolant from yellow to golden tan.
• Do not add/mix an orange-colored, extended life coolant such as Motorcraft Specialty Orange Engine Coolant, VC-2 and VC-3 (US) or CXC-209 (Canada), meeting Ford specification WSS-M97B44–D with the factory-filled coolant. Mixing Motorcraft Specialty Orange Engine Coolant or any orange-colored extended life product with your factory filled coolant can result in degraded corrosion protection.

Perhaps one of you could help me understand if someone has mixed the yellow and green. If so, I should replace. I can see green on the top of the gold.

[image]

[image]

2007 Tiffin Allegro 28DA

jeromep

Eastern Washington State

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/31/20 11:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fred42 wrote:

Perhaps one of you could help me understand if someone has mixed the yellow and green. If so, I should replace. I can see green on the top of the gold.

Probably not a huge problem. It isn't fair to say coolant is coolant, but in a pinch, if you have a need to keep the system full between services (this means you have a leak) or if you are on the road and need to top off, mixing is probably not the worst thing to do, so long as you get cooling system maintenance done when it is convenient. Ideally a good shop will know the proper coolant to put in after a repair or flush.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Maintenance Issues & Tips

> low coolant / add water?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.