Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: low coolant / add water?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Maintenance Issues & Tips

> low coolant / add water?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Dale.Traveling

Newport News, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/15/20 05:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Do you know what type of coolant is in the system? For model year 2003 F53 the coolant should have been changed about four times over the past 17 years.

Best not to mix coolant types if you can avoid doing. If you don't know then just use distilled water unless you are able to easily view the Northern Lights from the campsite the coach is parked at. If you can then try and determine what coolant was used and add with the same.

2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53

NRALIFR

Truck Camping Out West

View Profile

Posted: 12/15/20 05:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sir Traveller wrote:

......... do I have to buy and add coolant even though I am not driving the RV right now ? ( its hooked up at an RV park ) Can I just add distilled water?

I will eventually add coolant before I drive it in the future of course but my question is regarding the current situation …

The OP’s question is: should I add something NOW or wait until just before I drive it.

I say if you’re not driving it, there’s no need to add anything NOW.

When you do top off any low cooling system though, always use undiluted antifreeze. Unless you’re adding a significant amount to top it off of course, then you should probably try to find out why it was so low.

[emoticon][emoticon]

2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/15/20 07:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NRALIFR wrote:

Sir Traveller wrote:

......... do I have to buy and add coolant even though I am not driving the RV right now ? ( its hooked up at an RV park ) Can I just add distilled water?

I will eventually add coolant before I drive it in the future of course but my question is regarding the current situation …

The OP’s question is: should I add something NOW or wait until just before I drive it.

I say if you’re not driving it, there’s no need to add anything NOW.

When you do top off any low cooling system though, always use undiluted antifreeze. Unless you’re adding a significant amount to top it off of course, then you should probably try to find out why it was so low.

[emoticon][emoticon]

Well while most run a 50/50 mix of water to straight coolant, MAXIMUM cooling and freeze protection comes at 60% coolant and 40% water, so add coolant.

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 12/15/20 07:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NRALIFR wrote:

[emoticon][emoticon]

Once again, I'm hard of understanding.
In the shelf I see 2 strengths of most brands/types. The 1 is marked "ready to use". The other should be mixed 50/50 with distilled water. Looking at the price, I get paid pretty good to mix it myself. The concentrate will freeze at higher temp than the proper mix, plus it is a waste of money to use it straight.

NRALIFR

Truck Camping Out West

View Profile

Posted: 12/15/20 07:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I know what the normal coolant mix is when you’re replacing the coolant. When adding to a low system that doesn’t have obvious leaks, I would use undiluted antifreeze preferably, 50/50 mix if I had to, but never just plain water. Unless the cooling system was just filled with fresh coolant at the maximum dilution ratio, a shot of undiluted antifreeze will do the system some good.

But again, if he’s not driving it RIGHT NOW, there’s no need to add anything RIGHT NOW.

[emoticon][emoticon]

BB_TX

McKinney, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 12/15/20 08:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Make sure you get the correct antifreeze for that engine. Ford has 5 different colored antifreezes it recommends depending on the year and engine. One antifreeze that fits all just doesn't work any more.

jdc1

Rescue, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 12/15/20 08:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The dude lives in SoCal. Even if the tank was empty, it won't freeze at 60*.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/15/20 09:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you aren't driving it and the existing coolant isn't aged out...leave it until before you drive it next. A non-operating engine doesn't need any coolant and if it's in good condition, it won't freeze.

The real question is are you just a little low or is there a problem that needs to be addressed. Generally, you shouldn't have to top up the coolant unless something is wrong. (obviously, use the correct type)

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Lwiddis

Monterey, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/15/20 10:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"When you do top off any low cooling system though, always use undiluted antifreeze."

"Just make sure that you add the right coolant per your owner's manual."

x2 on both. And add it now. You'll forget by Spring.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flag pole. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist14 yr. Army vet-11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

ArchHoagland

Clovis, CA, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/15/20 11:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jdc1 wrote:

The dude lives in SoCal. Even if the tank was empty, it won't freeze at 60*.

Exactly!

2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Maintenance Issues & Tips

> low coolant / add water?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.