cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Grill gas connect

scotty46
Explorer
Explorer
I have a propane grill that normally would hook up to an outlet on the trailer. I would like to convert it to use the small propane bottles you buy at Walmart, but the connections are different. I have look at other sites on the internet and do not find ready made hoses. Also, is pressure a problem? Suggestions
7 REPLIES 7

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
scotty46 wrote:
I have a propane grill that normally would hook up to an outlet on the trailer. I would like to convert it to use the small propane bottles you buy at Walmart, but the connections are different. I have look at other sites on the internet and do not find ready made hoses. Also, is pressure a problem? Suggestions

He wants to connect his grill that currently connects with a hose to a low pressure propane port on his trailer so that he can use 1 pound (high pressure) Coleman propane cylinders to power his grill.

He didn't mention what brand or model BBQ grill it was. If there is no existing conversion kit for his specific grill, he will need an 11 inch water column BBQ regulator, a low pressure female quick connect and a steak saver type male acme x female coleman adapter. I listed 2 parts above that will work with his current grill and existing hose.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
BBQ

Low pressure propane fittings are common on RVs and you may need to remove the BBQ regulator as the use of 2 regulators may give inconsistent propane pressure.

This is my high pressure adapter with a El (for hose routing considerations) and a shutoff valve. The top external tank port came with the adapter. The BBQ connector is the standard 1lb 1" screw on propane bottle type.

Click For Full-Size Image.

Hoses with the standard 1โ€ screw on adapters are available. And an adapter for the standard BBQ regulator fitting are available. Propane stores can also make custom length hoses however I use 1 or 2 12' hoses as needed.

Here are the parts that connect to any grill.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
If your grill has a gas burner control without a regulator and has a hose with a male quick connector you will need the items below.

Propane Regulator with low pressure quick connect

Steak Saver Adapter

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
I think thats what old was getting at, some are high pressure some aren't. You need to see what you have first. Then go from there.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

fx2tom
Explorer
Explorer
You would need to add a regulator. The grills that work off of a quick connect are regulated at the trailer vs something like a Coleman grill that works off of a 1 lb propane tank and has its own regulator.
2002 Ford F250 Lariat 7.3l 4x4 CCSB
2007 Forest River Sierra Sport M-26FBSP

Oasisbob
Explorer
Explorer
I got mine on Amazon.
Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife 3 of 4 kids at home. 1 proudly serving in USAF
2018 Ford Explorer
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS:)

Old-Biscuit
Explorer
Explorer
Does that grill have it's own regulator?

What type of connection currently on that grill
Screw style, quick disconnect style

What grill is it?

Disposable to male thread fitting

Disposable to POL type fitting
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31