cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

February trip south on the East Coast

2_Retired
Explorer
Explorer
DH and I are planning a trip this February from Virginia down to SC (Myrtle Beach), then Savannah to St Augustine. We have not planned after that. Welcoming suggestions where to go next! Thinking of Florida West Coast, maybe Atlanta. Any other suggestions? Traveling in a 34'Class A with toad. Love history, not into anything physically demanding. Thanks for your help!
Two young retirees restless to GO!
Life is too short to wait too long to do all we want to do!!
Go and enjoy!!
19 REPLIES 19

2_Retired
Explorer
Explorer
Ken56 is absolutely right! Angelos in Montross is about the only good choice. There is a place called Yesterdays (we don't enjoy it) and a small Mexican Restaurant that has some good choices, but Angelo's is honestly the only place in Montross I could recommend.
Colonial Beach has several, including Suki's, a great Thai place with awesome Pad Tai! January 6th - an area update. Covid is running wild in our county, particularly in Colonial Beach. Would suggest not visiting now if that's possible.
Two young retirees restless to GO!
Life is too short to wait too long to do all we want to do!!
Go and enjoy!!

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
Was in Montross to pick up a trailer for a friend and I ate at Angelo's Pizza and seafood restaurant. I had a seafood platter and I had no complaints. The pizza looked good too but being so close to the Chesapeake Bay seafood was on my eating list, not pizza. Not much else in Montross either to eat at, it's pretty small.

LindaAnn
Explorer
Explorer
Just a couple of suggestions for St Augustine. We stayed at an RV park, North Beach Camp Resort...great sites AND it is directly across the highway from the beach. In St Augustine, we took the Old Town Trolley, a wonderful way to see all the historic places in the town. If you like museums, the Lightner Museum is wonderful!

Since my husband is a Nascar fan, we drove down to Daytona and toured the track there.

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
We discovered another gem a couple of years ago on the opposite end of SC state. Paris Mountain State Park just north of Greeneville, SC is a gooder. It's close enough to Greeneville to visit but it's also on a small mountain. Greeneville has a nice downtown park. We liked the easy trails for our tired legs.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

pbeverly
Explorer III
Explorer III
magnusfide wrote:
Mayor30 wrote:
Try staying in Huntington Beach State park. Some FHU the rest W&E, You can walk to the beach. They have a great nature lodge and have ranger talks in the lodge and outside. The home of the Huntington's can be toured for a small fee. Drunken Jacks in Murrell's Inlet is a good place to eat.

Double ditto. Huntington Beach SP is our favorite SC coastal camping spot.

Tripple ditto on Huntington Beach.

Funny thing. The beach is HUGE. When they dump sand on Mrytle Beach to save the beach the sand works it's way down to Huntington and makes it bigger. Something about the jetty at Huntington helps make this happens.
Ridgeway, SC
2019 26DBH Grey Wolf

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mayor30 wrote:
Try staying in Huntington Beach State park. Some FHU the rest W&E, You can walk to the beach. They have a great nature lodge and have ranger talks in the lodge and outside. The home of the Huntington's can be toured for a small fee. Drunken Jacks in Murrell's Inlet is a good place to eat.

Double ditto. Huntington Beach SP is our favorite SC coastal camping spot.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

Mayor30
Explorer
Explorer

pbeverly
Explorer III
Explorer III
Merrykalia wrote:
We HATE Myrtle Beach, just too much! Too much traffic, people, etc.

HAHAHA, I live in SC and I hate MB in the Summer. In the off season it is not bad at all. We have been able to park right smack in front of the Sky Wheel in the winter. Off season a good time to visit and do non beach things as they are not crowded at all.

However, MB is really a tourist trap.
Ridgeway, SC
2019 26DBH Grey Wolf

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
It will be COLD until you get east enough to get the ocean breeze. Then it'll be cool. We HATE Myrtle Beach, just too much! Too much traffic, people, etc. We enjoy smaller parks and ocean destinations. If you like the crowded cities, try Myrtle Beach, but even North Myrtle is too much for me. Head a bit further south (warmer, too) and check out Hunting Island SP (outside Beaufort, SC). Campground right on the beach. Jekyll Island is really a fun trip, but you will also still be on the cool side in February.

We were in Miami last year at the end of February and it was in the high 70s, but up in GA, it was 40 degrees. At home in the mtns of Va, it was 10!

Gulf Shores, AL, Destin, FL, Pensacola, FL are all great visits. If you are wanting warm temps, you must head to south Florida and good luck getting a reservation there.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
Crooked River State Park in the St. Mary's area of Georgia has been getting rave reviews lately. We are thinking about trying that area the end of October/early November. And then you aren't that far from St. Augustine, FL, which is a must especially of you're into history.
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
I'll be in Montross in March doing genealogy. Reminds me to make reservations at Belle Isle SP.
Be aware of low hanging live oak tree limbs in Charleston and Savannah. If you haven't walked around old Charleston you may enjoy that. I think there is something called the Swamp Fox trail in S.C. We haven't done it, but should. You may want to check out Ft. Clinch near Amelia Island Florida. The state park there is supposed to be pretty good.
Are there any eating spots you would recommend on the Northern Neck? I'm thinking we will be there 4-6 days depending on what I find in Northern Neck Historical Society.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
I would recommend making a stop on Jekyll Island, GA before leaving the state (I95 exit 29). Lots of history, lots of walking/biking trails, quiet beaches and some decent restaurants. In the early years of the 1900s, 1/6th of the world's wealth wintered on Jekyll Island. February might be tough to get a site in the campground, but there is Coastal GA RV Resort and Blythe Island Regional Park and Campground both within a few miles of I-95 exit 29.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Planning a trip ahead of time has some risk. I have been in Atlanta when the high was 18 degrees with high winds. Driving a motorhome in the snow is not good. Time your trip in the weather openings. Postpone it if you have to.

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
On your way south you may want to stop at Fort Fisher, outside Wilmington NC. A State park and Air Force facilities, one of the NC state Aquariums is here as well as Southport just a ferry ride away.
Charleston has been mentioned, but in Savannah take time to walk the cemetery. The stones tell a lot of history, the numbers of children, smallpox and an assortment of afflictions. Many of their stories are told.