Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: February trip south on the East Coast
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> February trip south on the East Coast

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
2 Retired

Montross, Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 12/15/20 07:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DH and I are planning a trip this February from Virginia down to SC (Myrtle Beach), then Savannah to St Augustine. We have not planned after that. Welcoming suggestions where to go next! Thinking of Florida West Coast, maybe Atlanta. Any other suggestions? Traveling in a 34'Class A with toad. Love history, not into anything physically demanding. Thanks for your help!

Two young retirees restless to GO!
Life is too short to wait too long to do all we want to do!!
Go and enjoy!!

magnusfide

On the Road Again and Again and Again...

View Profile

Posted: 12/15/20 11:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

South Carolina has a lot of interesting and beautiful places to visit. Start with a search of "historic sites in SC".

Georgia has a number of historic sites and state parks, the Savannah area is a good choice, especially Ft. McAllister State Park just south of Savannah. They often have re-enactments there. You can camp there and use it as a base for exploring the area. Wormsloe Historic Site with an oak avenue is on the edge of Savannah.

St. Augustine, FL is another good historic area to visit. Tarpon Springs FL on the west coast has a Greek community there with a beautiful Greek Orthodox church to visit.

Come back north on I-75 on your way home and check out the Aviation Museum at Robins AFB in Warner Robins GA. It's one of my faves. Free admission and free parking. They have an SR-71A Blackbird on display there that still holds the airspeed record. You can get information for planning your visit at this link. It's just south of Macon GA.

Atlanta traffic and urban sprawl is bad. If you can try going around it as in far outside their beltway. There are a lot of interesting historic places to visit away from the urban mess. I recommend shooting on over to Alabama with its Talladega Speedway and then head home via Chattanooga TN. Plenty to see in Chattanooga and you can even visit Rock City for an old time kind of vacay with interesting things to do.
Enjoy your trip.

First law of science: don't spit into the wind.
Bacon is the duct tape of the kitchen.
Magnus

bucky

Raleigh metro

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/16/20 04:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Charleston SC is chock full of history. 90 miles south of MB.

2005 Cummins 3500 2WD LB quad cab dually pulling a 2014 Blue Ridge 3025RL

wildtoad

Blythewood, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/16/20 05:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When in MB there are two great state parks. MB state park is just a few minutes from south MB, close enough so if you want to go into MB for shopping or entertainment. Also near several RV sales and service location should you need it.

Huntington Beach state park is further south closer to Pawleys Island, Murrels Inlet which has great seafood. Across the street (aka hwy 17) from Brookgreen Gardens which is a nice way to spend an afternoon even in February.

Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/16/20 07:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Charleston was semi-locked down when we were up there a month ago. St Augustine is loaded with historical sites being the oldest settlement in the US. There is Ybpr City in Tampa if you get over that way. I hope you have reservations for Florida tho there may be open spots since there is a Canadian shortage. There are a number of Florida State parks with historical themes. That is true for Georgia and SC too.

Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2012 Ford F-350 4WD Lariat 6.7L
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

wowens79

Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 12/16/20 07:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The different springs in central Florida are amazing. Many are just pretty to look, but many offer kayaking going down stream, not real demanding.

Honestly I live on the edge of Atlanta, and I would avoid it like the plague. The mountains in North GA are really nice with some great state parks.

2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 241k miles and climbing
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

wanderingaimlessly

SOBOVA

View Profile

Posted: 12/16/20 08:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On your way south you may want to stop at Fort Fisher, outside Wilmington NC. A State park and Air Force facilities, one of the NC state Aquariums is here as well as Southport just a ferry ride away.
Charleston has been mentioned, but in Savannah take time to walk the cemetery. The stones tell a lot of history, the numbers of children, smallpox and an assortment of afflictions. Many of their stories are told.

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 12/16/20 09:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Planning a trip ahead of time has some risk. I have been in Atlanta when the high was 18 degrees with high winds. Driving a motorhome in the snow is not good. Time your trip in the weather openings. Postpone it if you have to.

mgirardo

Brunswick, GA

View Profile

Posted: 12/16/20 11:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would recommend making a stop on Jekyll Island, GA before leaving the state (I95 exit 29). Lots of history, lots of walking/biking trails, quiet beaches and some decent restaurants. In the early years of the 1900s, 1/6th of the world's wealth wintered on Jekyll Island. February might be tough to get a site in the campground, but there is Coastal GA RV Resort and Blythe Island Regional Park and Campground both within a few miles of I-95 exit 29.

-Michael

Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

TxGearhead

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/16/20 12:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'll be in Montross in March doing genealogy. Reminds me to make reservations at Belle Isle SP.
Be aware of low hanging live oak tree limbs in Charleston and Savannah. If you haven't walked around old Charleston you may enjoy that. I think there is something called the Swamp Fox trail in S.C. We haven't done it, but should. You may want to check out Ft. Clinch near Amelia Island Florida. The state park there is supposed to be pretty good.
Are there any eating spots you would recommend on the Northern Neck? I'm thinking we will be there 4-6 days depending on what I find in Northern Neck Historical Society.

2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> February trip south on the East Coast
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.