Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

The mac daddy of bike rack overload?

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
This on CL here locally this morning.

clicky

I'm thinking I95 in SC would make short work of this.
Puma 30RKSS
27 REPLIES 27

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Admitting is the first step to recovery , lol.
At least youโ€™re admitting it!
Cheers!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
This thread is about who cares?
Is it yours?
Has it hurt you?
Maybe you heard a generator like it and itโ€™s bringing back bad memories?
Maybe you saw a c rappy bumper and this one gives you ptsd?

Wait, I know....just a bunch of busy bodyโ€™s with nothing better to do than preach their suppositions!
And another busy body complaining about their complaining. LOL

Bingo, and we have a winner !!!

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Grit dog wrote:
Is it yours?
Has it hurt you?

Wait, I know....just a bunch of busy bodyโ€™s with nothing better to do than preach their suppositions!
And another busy body complaining about their complaining. LOL
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
Is it yours?
Has it hurt you?

LOL
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
bucky wrote:
I have intimate knowledge of these junk pull out racks. A good friend has one of these on his 5er and has had nothing but trouble. He won't even use it anymore for the bouncing before he lost 2 bikes. But just for the naysayers who say the rest of us are busy body's or whatever here are some weights involved.
Gen 260 lbs (per web site)
Propane 110 lbs for 2 full 30 pounders (per interweb lookup)
Spare tire and wheel 75 lbs (65 of which is lookup wheel est at 10
Aluminum cover 15 lbs (est)
------------------
Total 460 lbs Plus the 150 lbs the manufacturer states the rack weighs. One SC I95 expansion joint and this is throwing sparks down the road.

Thank you for that. It is pretty bad when we can't discuss possible RV safety issues without the approval of the naysayers.

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have intimate knowledge of these junk pull out racks. A good friend has one of these on his 5er and has had nothing but trouble. He won't even use it anymore for the bouncing before he lost 2 bikes. But just for the naysayers who say the rest of us are busy body's or whatever here are some weights involved.
Gen 260 lbs (per web site)
Propane 110 lbs for 2 full 30 pounders (per interweb lookup)
Spare tire and wheel 75 lbs (65 of which is lookup wheel est at 10
Aluminum cover 15 lbs (est)
------------------
Total 460 lbs Plus the 150 lbs the manufacturer states the rack weighs. One SC I95 expansion joint and this is throwing sparks down the road.
Puma 30RKSS

GDS-3950BH
Explorer
Explorer

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Is it yours?
Has it hurt you?

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
msmith1.wa wrote:

That thread is about the bumper tube ripping from the weight of the spare tire, not the failure of the sliding tubes. There have been many posts regarding bumpers failing on trailers that do not have the slide mounting fom the weight of the spare tire.

Actually this thread is about a ridiculous pile of junk hung on the back of a trailer.

msmith1_wa
Explorer
Explorer
BurbMan wrote:
Lynnmor wrote:
Some of us have experience in things mechanical and know junk when we see it.

Maybe read the Craigs List post: "The rack has been reinforced to support the weight of the equipment. "

That thread is about the bumper tube ripping from the weight of the spare tire, not the failure of the sliding tubes. There have been many posts regarding bumpers failing on trailers that do not have the slide mounting fom the weight of the spare tire.
2003 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 8.1l
2016 Evergreen Amped 28FS

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
If the frame can support a Class III hitch it can support 500# at the single point hitch. If it can support that I expect that the sliding mechanism โ€œcouldโ€ support even more, but we see no evidence that there is more than 500# involved. Bothering to read the information on a sliding frame one would see it weighs in at 125#. That leaves 375# for that genset. I had the 8KW version and my wife and could load it in the back of my Jeep so it sure wasnโ€™t near even 150#. A lot of supposition posts on this thread IMHO.

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
BurbMan wrote:
Lynnmor wrote:

Maybe read the Craigs List post: "The rack has been reinforced to support the weight of the equipment. "
And that means exactly what? How reinforced? How much weight to be supported? And just because it's there doesn't mean it means squat. But it does sound good.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
BurbMan wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
My concern isn't the trailer frame, but the size of the material. It looks way small to be carrying that much weight. Got to be at least a couple hundred pounds sitting, and bouncing, way back there.

I'll bet there's a weight limit for that construction, and I'll also bet all that stuff is way over that limit.

I doubt it, the bumper is 4" square and the square tube holding the generator looks to be 2" so it should be able to carry that weight. I used 2-1/2" angle on mine and it held up well.
I didn't think it was that big. Looking at the square tubing it goes into under the trailer, that looks like maybe 2" square, so I was thinking the smaller tubing was 1 1/2" or maybe 1". Way small for the amount of weight.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lynnmor wrote: