cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Lost two local TV channels, options?

georgelesley
Explorer
Explorer
OK guys I need some quick advice. We lost our local ABC and CBS stations due to a fight between Dish and somebody. I have figured out a way to get cbs, but cannot get abc. Saturday is the Clemson/Norte Dame game. Naturally it is on abc.

We have fiber optic internet and dish. Dish offers no help anything I can do with the fiber optic or something else? I donโ€™t really want to sign up for a whole new service for one game, but would consider a one month trial. I also have an Amazon fire stick which might have internet and we have one internet capable tv. Ideas pls.
George 20 yr USAF & Lesley
23 REPLIES 23

georgelesley
Explorer
Explorer
jcpainter wrote:
Is there a way to watch an "out of town" game when the local team is playing at the same time on a given network?

i.e. My DH would like to watch the Packers (Green Bay) games. We winter near Tampa, so when a network is carrying a game on xxx day at xxx o'clock, all that is shown is the Tampa game.

We have most of the streaming network apps, but they know your location and still only present the local teams.

Thanks

Yes there is a way. I donโ€™t do it but somebody posted this very issue on this thread or the same thread on IRV2.com it is thru a VPN, whatever that is, and you can select different cities for the video feed.. somebody more techy than me can help you I am sure.

I do have an idea for that as well. He might go to a city tv station in that area that carries the game he wants, some stream their live content. Look around, enlist a tech person and I am sure you can find a way.

I looked at a different forum and found a thing called โ€œlocastโ€ that can probably do what you want done. I know nothing about it but it works in several cities around the country. I am using โ€œustvgo.tvโ€ per recommendation here, it probably usies a different feed than Tampa, so may well have the games he wants. Lots of possibilities, just look around.

MrWizard
Good you have a solution, I wonder why ESPN and Google have the game listed as being on different networks, I don't follow sports, so I'm not familiar with who carries what

georgelesley wrote:
I found a solution that works for me. Used the fire stick in my man cave to make the tv there โ€œsmartโ€. Went to ustvgo.tv site per a recommendation and viola, I now have all the channels I could possibly need. If dish has to pull channels in the future I will now know what to do. Canโ€™t record stuff so not as convenient, but a great work around and so far anyway, free.

BTW these channel fights are always about the money. Over the years we have seen several but most are quickly resolved I suspect this one may not be but after Saturday I do not care. BTW, ESPN listed this game as on ABC, which is why I was going there and our local NBC channel we still get does not show it on Saturday.
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

jcpainter
Explorer
Explorer
Is there a way to watch an "out of town" game when the local team is playing at the same time on a given network?

i.e. My DH would like to watch the Packers (Green Bay) games. We winter near Tampa, so when a network is carrying a game on xxx day at xxx o'clock, all that is shown is the Tampa game.

We have most of the streaming network apps, but they know your location and still only present the local teams.

Thanks

alid
Explorer
Explorer
If you have internet available to your dish receiver. you should have an app on the receiver called locast. Locast will provide you with free locals (with some adds asking for a donation) I use it when the snow blocks my dish.
2009 Winnebago Adventure 32h
2006 Terry Quantum 330FKDS (beach getaway)
2003 Aprilia Atlantic 500
2007 Honda Reflex
2 house rabbits "George and MiMi"

NamMedevac_70
Explorer II
Explorer II
Your welcome!!! Glad the Fire Stick worked for you. Along with one time purchase of Roku device we have access to many hundreds of free movies, classic movies and TV shows, sports, TV, news and weather channels with many of them live.

georgelesley
Explorer
Explorer
I found a solution that works for me. Used the fire stick in my man cave to make the tv there โ€œsmartโ€. Went to ustvgo.tv site per a recommendation and viola, I now have all the channels I could possibly need. If dish has to pull channels in the future I will now know what to do. Canโ€™t record stuff so not as convenient, but a great work around and so far anyway, free.

BTW these channel fights are always about the money. Over the years we have seen several but most are quickly resolved I suspect this one may not be but after Saturday I do not care. BTW, ESPN listed this game as on ABC, which is why I was going there and our local NBC channel we still get does not show it on Saturday.

MrWizard
Smart tv, will it load Android apps?
Do you have a android device you can use to mirror cast to the TV
The app "free cable TV" has network tv streams plus sports channels
I Google searches notre Dame vs Clemson
Everything says the game is on NBC not ABC
NBC has an app "Peacock TV" carries NBC live program streams including some sports,
Also says Fubo sports channel will carry the game
Fubo has it's own app and subscription, but is also listed in the channels available thru the "Free cable TV"App, the live streams come with the network commercials and ads and are listed affiliates, this is Not piracy,
Peacock tv, is the NBC app from the network, carrying live and streams and on demand movies and network TV shows

3 possibilites for watching the game
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
wa8yxm wrote:

And finally.. one of the things I do not understand is why you have to pay DISH to pay the local ABC affilate when the Station so that their viewership, and thus advertising income increases. Seems they should be paying dish.

The sat coverage is limited and maybe by the same viewing area based on address. Not sure of the limiting factors but they exist.

Not to be confused with moving (within a spot beam) the receiver like in a RV but if you notify them you'll get whatever locals apply to the new service address.

Also By Federal law.. (yes there is one) DISH is REQUIRED to deliver any station you can pick up direct, over the air. So you can make a Federal case out of it. You will still miss the game if you do that. but I'd love to see it happen.

Not sure what's required but I suspect that stations can be removed for various reasons. Sat can only provide the local ABC for example but why would they be required to provide it? Clearly if they don't provide ABC they will lose members and hence they will have to pay to broadcast the station.

Maybe someone can provide clarification.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
To the OP, you say you have a Firestick and no chance of OTA TV so you just need to play with the various options available with the Firestick. There are not only ABC apps (maybe even your local ABC affiliate) but there are free OTA TV apps with broadcasts from various parts of the Country. It may take a bit of trial and error but you should be able to get the game!
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
Gdetrailer wrote:
Sensars and any other RV antenna are a pretty poor choice for any OTA reception unless you can physically be within 20 miles of the station transmitter antenna and there is no trees, hills or buildings in the way..
I have a Sensar IV and I can reliably get stations out to 50 miles. One spot that I camped was 100 miles west of Tucson, AZ and I was pulling in stations from Phoenix 100 miles away. This is by no means typical since conditions were perfect. The Sensar (aka Batwing) is about the only RV antenna with the broad VHF element which gives it good reception for RF channels 2 thru 13. It also has a separate section for the UHF channels.
Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
170ah Renogy LiFePo4 drop-in battery 400 watts solar
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
Minneapolis, MN

georgelesley
Explorer
Explorer
Wow thanks for all the options! Since I have a fire stick already in the man cave I will explore that option today.. i did find a few other ota internet tv options. Antenna is not an option due to mountains between us and station.

I did think of taking motorhome to near the station but the MH is in the shop but I could likely get it back for the weekend, but fire stick makes it much easier.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Second Chance wrote:
How about an antenna and watching the OTA broadcast - or are you so far up a holler you have to pipe in the sunlight?

Rob

First I'm not a sports fan so the loss of a Game. Not a problem

But since you ask for help.. Second chance gave good advice.

Download the WINEGARD gap to your smart phone.. Find the local ABC affiliate and point your antenna at it.. Try it. You may like it. Dish may lose a customer..

And finally.. one of the things I do not understand is why you have to pay DISH to pay the local ABC affilate when the Station so that their viewership, and thus advertising income increases. Seems they should be paying dish.

Also By Federal law.. (yes there is one) DISH is REQUIRED to deliver any station you can pick up direct, over the air. So you can make a Federal case out of it. You will still miss the game if you do that. but I'd love to see it happen.

having the same discussion with my local cable provider. Different network and show however.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

newman_fulltime
Explorer
Explorer
Down load the station app then put it to the tv

NamMedevac_70
Explorer II
Explorer II
There are apps on Roku, Fire stick and Vizio TVs (that have apps installed) that will give you local network TV stations/channels without an antenna. Just to name a few are of course ABC, CBS and CBSNow, Fox, NBC,Haystack, Stream TV and many sports apps. Many of these are free.

The Roku channel has local news apps(many) where you can find local major network TV stations in cities that may be near you. For example in Reno I can watch local TV stations in San Francisco, Sacramento and Reno and these are live. I can also pick up live TV stations all over USA in Florida, Los Angeles, etc., etc. Cheers