cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gulfstream BT Cruiser Quality

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
Thinking of downsizing my class A to a B+ rv, looking at the BT Cruisers, the 5340 and 5255 model, none for sale here in Las Vegas to check out the quality so would like to here from other owners, wanting brand new so hope to hear from those with the 2015 or newer models..

Older model owners can chime in but as many RV makers sometimes they get better with time..

:C
18 REPLIES 18

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
ron.dittmer wrote:
timmac wrote:
Well just checked my 08 Bounder wall specs and it to is mounted on the outside on a wall hanger, after 12 years and 52,000 miles its still in great shape and zero issues, Fleetwood says its to reduce squeaks from the wall to floor.
That makes no sense to me, but it must be working because many manufactures do it. It is good to read that you have no issues.

BTW: Our Phoenix Cruiser 2350 with the walls resting on the floor, is 13 years old and we have no squeaks either. It's been a very "tight" rig. I imagine it helps that the house is smaller than most in over-all height and width. Any box made with the same exact materials will be stronger when made smaller. A softer riding suspension should also help.

I am not sure why some mount the wall on outside vs on the floor, maybe to make the rv wider inside without making the floor and frame under floor wider to save money..

As to Fleetwood saying so the floor wont squeak on wall if mounted outside I would have to say everything else squeaks and rattles so I don't really know..

ron_dittmer
Explorer
Explorer
Gjac wrote:
I think the other important point for shorter C's is the knowing the weight distribution especially when towing a trailer causing the front end to be light.
It is very interesting that you bring this up.

Our Phoenix Cruiser (23'-8" long with a 158" wheel base) loaded up on a trip with a full tank of fresh water, the rear axle is at capacity, but the front axle is very light.....heavily over-rated. Our fresh water tank is situated against the rear wall so that 35 gallons of weight is a counterweight to the front end. We also have a 5000 pound hitch with a tongue weight rated at 500 pounds. If we trailered at that capacity, it would add 1000 more pounds on the rear axle.....a very bad condition. Fortunately we tow 4-wheels-down so our actual tongue weight is a negligible 25 pounds or so.

One thing I recently did was softening the ride up front, since is was so heavily over-rated for the actual application. CLICK HERE to read all about my project which includes detailed pictures.

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
I tow a few different trailers with my 24’ 158” WB E450.
The tongue weight of a small utility trailer 12x5 aluminum shouldn't matter too much on a shorter WB 450 rv and if you towed a larger trailer , you could use a weight distributing hitch ad i did.
Towing both ways , i dont think i have noticed much difference regarding the front end feel while driving. At least not enough difference to go to a scale. It handles it all well much to my surprise.
The WD hitch was used on my 30’ x 7’ aluminum snomo trailer. That was between 3500/5000# all loaded depending how many sleds were on board. Hitch weight on that trailer is 12 - 13%. At weights above 3500 you can feel the towed weight more. Not that its bad, you just can feel that its there.

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ron.dittmer said: "Any box made with the same exact materials will be stronger when made smaller. A softer riding suspension should also help." This is a good point, I have always thought the same thing but I have not been able to verify this. For example is the frame the same thickness on a 24 ft C compared to a 30 ft C? I would think so. I guess the side walls, floor and roof is all the same thickness and same number of FG plys all using the same adhesives and same MFG processes but when you visit the MFG's web sites they are not very informative on any eng numbers or materials. I think the other important point for shorter C's is the knowing the weight distribution especially when towing a trailer causing the front end to be light.

ron_dittmer
Explorer
Explorer
timmac wrote:
Well just checked my 08 Bounder wall specs and it to is mounted on the outside on a wall hanger, after 12 years and 52,000 miles its still in great shape and zero issues, Fleetwood says its to reduce squeaks from the wall to floor.
That makes no sense to me, but it must be working because many manufactures do it. It is good to read that you have no issues.

BTW: Our Phoenix Cruiser 2350 with the walls resting on the floor, is 13 years old and we have no squeaks either. It's been a very "tight" rig. I imagine it helps that the house is smaller than most in over-all height and width. Any box made with the same exact materials will be stronger when made smaller. A softer riding suspension should also help.

ron_dittmer
Explorer
Explorer
bobndot wrote:
ron.dittmer wrote:
bobndot wrote:
They show a build comparison video on the Phoenix Cruiser website. It was made by the previous owner of PC.
CLICK HERE for that 55 minute long video comparing a Phoenix Cruiser to "Brand-X". I believe is a Nexus.

Most of the points made are negligible nit-picking, but there some significant points and also a few serious differences definitely worth noting. One being the walls being bolted to the side of the rig, not resting on the floor of the rig. The video teaches how to identify that condition.

Hi Ron, the factory build video is also a good one.
'Phoenix Cruiser Factory tour days 1-6'
Ah yes!

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
ron.dittmer wrote:
Over-all it appears to be a nicely constructed rig....with one exception. The walls do not rest on the floor. They are bolted against the side of it. This means the weight of the walls, roof, and everything attached to them, are resting on the fasteners. You can see the practice in the framing picture.

I have heard of manufactures building that way, but never understood the logic behind it.

https://recreationalvehicles.info/2008-fleetwood-bounder/#lg=1&slide=9

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
ron.dittmer wrote:
bobndot wrote:
They show a build comparison video on the Phoenix Cruiser website. It was made by the previous owner of PC.
CLICK HERE for that 55 minute long video comparing a Phoenix Cruiser to "Brand-X". I believe is a Nexus.

Most of the points made are negligible nit-picking, but there some significant points and also a few serious differences definitely worth noting. One being the walls being bolted to the side of the rig, not resting on the floor of the rig. The video teaches how to identify that condition.

Hi Ron, the factory build video is also a good one.
'Phoenix Cruiser Factory tour days 1-6'

ron_dittmer
Explorer
Explorer
bobndot wrote:

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
ron.dittmer wrote:
Over-all it appears to be a nicely constructed rig....with one exception. The walls do not rest on the floor. They are bolted against the side of it. This means the weight of the walls, roof, and everything attached to them, are resting on the fasteners. You can see the practice in the framing picture.

I have heard of manufactures building that way, but never understood the logic behind it.

Ron ... a very good point about how the walls might be attached!

Now I'm scratching my head re my Itasca. Guess I'll have to crawl down underneath and take a look. :h
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

ron_dittmer
Explorer
Explorer

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Today, people fly and drive across the country to buy a dog. If you are really considering the rv then drive the 300 miles to see and drive one.

Its 50/50 in buying any rv liking the floorplan is the important part.
** A good mechanic can make an inexpensive rv a good workable reliable unit. Find yourself an independent mechanic who you can trust and work with on a recurring basis. .

They are all pushed off the assembly extra fast in this good economy and covid sales boom. They leave it up to the dealers to tweak them up. If you are lucky , you'll find a good dealer and you will have less return trips to repair things. If not , expect to be making a 600 mile round trip often while waiting a long time between appointments. That might mean non use of the rv.
**i would sleep / camp at the dealership or nearby CG for two or 3 nights so you see how that dealer actually took care of things before he sold it to you. Many dealerships dont even touch them. They let it be your problem.

General reviews from the owners are full spectrum from ‘hate it’ to ‘love it’ .

atreis
Explorer
Explorer
Gulfstream Forum, where you're more likely to find owners:
https://www.gsowners.com/forums/

My current trailer is a Gulfstream. Generally speaking, they're a low cost producer, but the actual fit is usually okay. If you're handy, they're a generally good choice. E.g. You're likely to need to tighten up the plumbing yourself, and other relatively minor things of that nature that are generally easy for someone that knows they need to do that, to do. The cabinet framing is pressboard, but well put together. My trailer arrived with a bad water pump. I replaced it myself with a variable speed, much quieter, one.

After my initial fixes of loosely assembled plumbing, replacing the water pump, and fixing the power cord holder, I've been happy with my trailer and it's served me and my family well.

How happy you are with a GS is likely to depend on how willing and able you are to fix relatively minor issues yourself after you get it.
2021 Four Winds 26B on Chevy 4500