cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2021 Fall trip MI to Rushmore then AZ

dalenoel
Explorer II
Explorer II
Looking to visit my Son in AZ and travel from MI to Rushmore then south to AZ in October. We would like to get to AZ by the first of October but not sure of the normal weather going across on 80 or 90 from MI. From Rushmore to the south I don't think it will be a problem. Also looking for any suggestions on the trip. We have a 36' DP with a toad. Thanks for any suggestions. I do want to avoid any need for chains on the MH.
03 Monaco Neptune 36PBD DP - 18 Focus Toad
Wife, myself, and Oreo the Malshi
8 REPLIES 8

dieseltruckdriv
Explorer II
Explorer II
JAC1982 wrote:
dalenoel wrote:
Thank you everyone for the suggestions. I plan on going south and not over the mountain. Was wondering about 18 down through Lusk after Rushmore then down 85 to 25 around Cheyenne. We will never have a day over 400 miles, don't stop for restaurants, but do walk the dog. The two non-interstates are my only concern but will look at them before the trip.

After AZ we go to FL for the winter until April.

We live NE of Denver and did a trip to the Black Hills in June and we stayed in Custer, so we did the route heading south of Custer on 385 and eventually ending up on Highway 18 then 85. It was an easy drive overall... a little windy but that's going to happen anywhere up there. Roads themselves are good with no low overpasses or trees or anything like that (our rig is 13'5" tall). There's a truck stop (Western Travel Terminal) on the east end of Torrington with lots of parking and easy access gas pumps.

I-25 through Denver and all the way down to Colorado Springs stinks pretty much all the time, even in a car, just like any interstate through a heavily populated area. You can take E470 to get through the Denver part, which is a toll, to avoid most of it, but it will cost you around $25 to go all the way around. Right now there is lots of construction with narrow lanes on I-25 around Monument, but I don't know what the ETA is for completion. To avoid that, you can take Highway 83, then hop back on I-25 in the Springs. It's a 2 lane highway, but easy driving.

There's a chance of a snow storm in October, just like this year there was snow right after Labor Day... but some years there's nothing so you'll just have to watch the forecast when the time comes and be ready to wait it out a day or two. If you do have to go through, chains are only required on I-70. I don't even own a set.
That does pretty much mirror our weather. We usually get a pretty good winter storm in October, but this year it was September. Just watch the weather, and you will be fine. Maybe be prepared to sit a day or two just in case.
2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
dalenoel wrote:
Thank you everyone for the suggestions. I plan on going south and not over the mountain. Was wondering about 18 down through Lusk after Rushmore then down 85 to 25 around Cheyenne. We will never have a day over 400 miles, don't stop for restaurants, but do walk the dog. The two non-interstates are my only concern but will look at them before the trip.

We live NE of Denver and did a trip to the Black Hills in June and we stayed in Custer, so we did the route heading south of Custer on 385 and eventually ending up on Highway 18 then 85. It was an easy drive overall... a little windy but that's going to happen anywhere up there. Roads themselves are good with no low overpasses or trees or anything like that (our rig is 13'5" tall). There's a truck stop (Western Travel Terminal) on the east end of Torrington with lots of parking and easy access gas pumps.

I-25 through Denver and all the way down to Colorado Springs stinks pretty much all the time, even in a car, just like any interstate through a heavily populated area. You can take E470 to get through the Denver part, which is a toll, to avoid most of it, but it will cost you around $25 to go all the way around. Right now there is lots of construction with narrow lanes on I-25 around Monument, but I don't know what the ETA is for completion. To avoid that, you can take Highway 83, then hop back on I-25 in the Springs. It's a 2 lane highway, but easy driving.

There's a chance of a snow storm in October, just like this year there was snow right after Labor Day... but some years there's nothing so you'll just have to watch the forecast when the time comes and be ready to wait it out a day or two. If you do have to go through, chains are only required on I-70. I don't even own a set.
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

dalenoel
Explorer II
Explorer II

03 Monaco Neptune 36PBD DP - 18 Focus Toad
Wife, myself, and Oreo the Malshi

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
We have taken that route during late Sept in 2019 and 2020. The weather was beautiful. We carry emergency supplies for an extra few days in case we get stuck somewhere due to weather.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
It can snow in the NOrthern PLains anytime after Labor Day. Just keep that in mind.

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
We went from AZ to Rushmore and MI-UP last October. Weather was beautiful the entire 5,500 mile round trip. We saw some awesome fall colors and a little bit of rain but nothing bad. It was fun wearing a jacket in the UP knowing AZ was still in triple digits.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Best choice if you are sticking to the interstates is I-90 to Rapid City to visit Rushmore.
Continue west on I-90 to I-25 take I-25 south to Albuquerque

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
We just did similar about that time this year. Took I-80 across to Salt Lake City and then down.
- Winds in eastern Wyoming were horrendous and watching since then seem to be pretty much normal. Be prepared to pull off and wait for a calmer day if needed.
- We did have a few mornings where it got into the upper 20's but otherwise, no issues with weather.

Overall a very nice trip at that time of the year with plenty of places to see along the way.

Alternatively, you could cut south thru Denver down to I-40 after hitting Rushmore.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV