Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Camper Security

moonlitsouls
Explorer
Explorer
Hey everyone, curious to see how you guys are securing your campers

I will be living full time in my rig , splitting my time between nature and the city. I am looking for a secure place to park with a hookup to electric/water on the days i work but until i find something i like, i may be parking in random spots around NYC and im slightly concerned about that.

I feel like this vehicle is going to be attracting a lot of attention

Would appreciate some guidance on how to keep my vehicle safe and secure both while im inside sleeping and while im away from it working

thanks!
22 REPLIES 22

Bert_the_Welder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Glad you found something. Nice when the Universe smiles on you.

Was in NYC 5yrs ago and was blown away how much better it was, including the people, then it was in the 80's. REALLY different. Had a fantastic time and wished it was longer. I want three weeks just to spend in The MET! ๐Ÿ™‚
We were planning to go there this year, but with the state of the States and C19, that ain't gonna happen. Plus it sounds like NYC has reverted back to the 70/80's NYC.

I always thought, for van dwellers that are concerned about security, getting a business logo sticker printed and added to the sides and back would be good.
"Happy Lawn Doggy-Doo Service- We scoop the doo-doo so you don't have to!" Add a few Bio-hazard stickers around the outside. Maybe a holder on the tail gate with a couple of schit smeared shovels mounted.
LOL
:h 1998 GMC 2500, 10.5 Okanagan, My better/smarter half, George and Finnegan(APBT), all I need.

OkieGene
Explorer
Explorer
Biohazard tape wrapped around and a biohazard sign with another Quarantine Sign - Covid ?

Or just a bunch of yellow crime scene tape.

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer
All locks are just about useles to stop a pro and YT is great to learn how to become one Lol

See Lock picking lawyer chanel

https://youtu.be/5Op2bCgcnYc

Fwiw
having two locks one fake that cant be open,
and one hiden that dont even look like lock might be the only solution.

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
K Mac wrote:
Glad you got a spot. I worked all over NYC (World's Capital) from the 70's to the 2010's, and common sense is all you will need to get you bye. I live 45 miles North and agree it gets a bad rap. Shotguns are not illegal,you can have one in truck/camper, but there isn't any open carry either, unless you want trouble, lol. You can check out Croton Point Park run by Westchester County, they went year round a few years back. It's 35 miles to mid town and the train is only a 10 min walk, or 2-3 min drive. Good luck n enjoy NYC, K Mac

^^Good info. We might make it up there this spring. Can't decide between the Newburg KOA or Croton. The KOA has "canned" tours of NYC from the campground. We will be in the 5th wheel, but I would love to cruise Park Avenue in the Bigfoot very early on a Sunday morning, VERY early! LOL
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
Just FYI for all...https://handgunlaw.us/
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4

K_Mac
Explorer
Explorer
Glad you got a spot. I worked all over NYC (World's Capital) from the 70's to the 2010's, and common sense is all you will need to get you bye. I live 45 miles North and agree it gets a bad rap. Shotguns are not illegal,you can have one in truck/camper, but there isn't any open carry either, unless you want trouble, lol. You can check out Croton Point Park run by Westchester County, they went year round a few years back. It's 35 miles to mid town and the train is only a 10 min walk, or 2-3 min drive. Good luck n enjoy NYC, K Mac

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
moonlitsouls wrote:
update , i think the universe is watching down on me lately bc i called up some guy about a parking spot on long island... turns out he's some rich Persian real estate kingpin who owns a marina on the water in queens and he's renting me a spot for my camper AND my car 4 min away from the beach. Huge relief

That's great.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

moonlitsouls
Explorer
Explorer
update , i think the universe is watching down on me lately bc i called up some guy about a parking spot on long island... turns out he's some rich Persian real estate kingpin who owns a marina on the water in queens and he's renting me a spot for my camper AND my car 4 min away from the beach. Huge relief

moonlitsouls
Explorer
Explorer
RickW wrote:
1. When I was stationed overseas, we used to find and pay a local "neighbor" on the street to watch our American cars while in a restaurant or store. When I traveled, I had to park overnight in paid lots with security on site. You may have to seek the 21st century equivalent.

2. You can get portable driveway motion detectors and mount them high on the TC facing down. They will issue a loud chime when someone approaches and could act as a deterrent. They will also false alarm at wind, some passing vehicles and small animals to add exciting entertainment to your evening if you are inside.

3. I rigged my back up camera on the TC so I can view the video feed while inside the TC. Three more cameras and I could monitor everything around me.

4. Your truck alarm can be activated by your key fob while in your TC.

As far as securing on the street; I suggest you retrofit a used armored car into an RV.

haha! **** i never knew NYC had such a bad rep. I mean you gotta look out for yourself but its not THAT bad.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Besides the TC, you also have to worry about people damaging your truck.

Spend some effort on how to use public transportation into town by train, etc. Itโ€™s not that hard to figure out, and it would be much safer for your vehicle/TC. I canโ€™t say it would be much safer for you.

NYC is a pretty dangerous place for the past year. I hope you will be getting a lot of money, but if you are, you should consider an apartment or a room with someone else. I donโ€™t know how much they have reduced the cost, but it seems there should be housing available nearby for less than the past.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Trying to โ€œcampโ€ in NYC will be stressful at a minimum.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
Since it's NYC you probably shouldn't get caught with a heater. Not sure if a pump shotgun is legal either. At minimum a baseball bat. Your biggest problem is when you're not there. Ask around at work if someone wants to make a few extra bucks to let you park in their driveway. Back the camper against their garage or house blocking the door when you go to work.
Double check your insurance policy.
Look for a job somewhere else. Come on down to Texas, everybody else is.
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4

mr_andyj
Explorer
Explorer
Paint a big sign on the side and make it look like a mobile AIDS and STDs FREE testing Center. Include "not responsible for disease transmission acquired here"
"get tested and get infected in the same visit"

RickW
Explorer II
Explorer II
1. When I was stationed overseas, we used to find and pay a local "neighbor" on the street to watch our American cars while in a restaurant or store. When I traveled, I had to park overnight in paid lots with security on site. You may have to seek the 21st century equivalent.

2. You can get portable driveway motion detectors and mount them high on the TC facing down. They will issue a loud chime when someone approaches and could act as a deterrent. They will also false alarm at wind, some passing vehicles and small animals to add exciting entertainment to your evening if you are inside.

3. I rigged my back up camera on the TC so I can view the video feed while inside the TC. Three more cameras and I could monitor everything around me.

4. Your truck alarm can be activated by your key fob while in your TC.

As far as securing on the street; I suggest you retrofit a used armored car into an RV.
Rick
04 GMC 1500 4X4X4, 04 Sunlite SB