Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Going back to gasser based on needs (need advice)
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Going back to gasser based on needs (need advice)

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
BB_TX

McKinney, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 12/17/20 12:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I also believe either of those gassers will work for you. With the higher horsepowers and torques of newer engines and the 8 and 10 speed transmissions they are far more capable than just a few years ago.

And you were apparently unlucky on the Ford. Except for a bad high exhaust temp sensor (replaced under warranty) my 2012 F350 6.7 with 75,800 miles has been great. But once burned, it is hard to forgive and forget. I get regular emails from my dealer with coupons for $89.95 diesel oil change and $9.95 gasser oil change for DWs Expedition. Significant cost difference. And diesel fuel filter changes are nothing to sneeze at either. Plus adding DEF. And two batteries when time for replacement. Plus the initial $6,000 or so for the diesel. Some good economic reasons for a gasser.

kellem

Shenandoah valley,VA

View Profile

Posted: 12/17/20 01:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have quite the convoy some weekends pulling our trailers through the mountains of VA/WV with a variety of rigs.....fun times and quite a bit of bragging.

I was designated to the tail following Cummins and Powerstrokes up the mountains and always left well behind in my gasser and then had to listen to the bragging over the radios we handed out before each trip.

Well that all changed on our latest adventure to a resort in WV as I pushed them up the mountains with my new 7.3 10spd. Lol

Just thought I'd throw that out there and yes the 6.6 and 6.4 should also make great gassers.

IdaD

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 12/17/20 01:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think Ford makes really good trucks, possibly the best in general, but I trust their diesels as far as I could throw one. If you're going to switch to gas I wouldn't be afraid of buying the 7.3, it looks good on paper. Just understand you will be dropping down in performance and fuel mileage, but I do think it would be sufficient for what you're trying to do. I think the Ram and GM gas trucks would be sufficient too. That said I'm a guy who doesn't necessarily "need" a diesel but I wanted one and don't regret the purchase at all. Even when I'm not towing I think all that torque makes for a nicer driving truck.

2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 12/17/20 01:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ognend wrote:

... some of these new gasser/tranny combos look impressive on paper, which is what intrigued me.

They should ! The new For 7.3L gas and 10R140 were designed to replace the V10 and 6R140 in the F650 and F750.

I'm sure there was some teething problems with the 2020 model, but the 2021s should be hitting the showrooms by now.

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 12/17/20 01:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IdaD wrote:

... Just understand you will be dropping down in performance and fuel mileage, ...

I would not be concerned about either. OP stated that the new F250 is rated to tow more than his old one. Remember there is is economy and fuel COST ! Around where I live, diesel is at least $0.50 more per gallon and that does not include DEF.

Remember that a gasser oil change take less than 50% of the amount of oil that a diesel does and the filter costs less also.

otrfun

On The Road

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/17/20 01:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ognend, based on your opening post IMO you'd be better served going gas. The only question you seem to have is whether you'll be giving up "power" by going gas.

The 6.4 Ram Hemi and 7.3 Ford Godzilla gassers both have 400+ horsepower. That's more HP than a standard Cummins (370-385hp). A 400+ HP gas engine will pull a 11k trailer up a 7% grade at 60mph (based on personal experience). The caveat is you'll be in 2nd or 3rd gear pulling 4.5-5.5k RPM (near redline). Although massive torque at low RPM (i.e., turbo diesel) gives the impression of effortless and unlimited power, all said and done HP (along with proper gearing) ultimately determines how much work actually gets done, not torque.

I currently drive a Cummins. I absolutely love "how" this engine tows heavy. However, if I were buying a new truck tomorrow I'd probably go gas (mandatory options: an 8-10 speed tranny and the lowest available rear end ratio).

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/17/20 01:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our 2008 V10 is rated for 14.5k...The new trucks with stronger engines and better transmissions should be even better.

If you aren't into drag racing up hills, the new gas trucks should do just fine and as you said, no way will you make back the up front cost of the diesel based on fuel savings.

My only hesitation with the Ford 7.3 is it's a new engine and may still be in teething mode...I would probably lean towards the Dodge unless you plan to wait a while to see how the 7.3 holds up.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

ognend

South Florida

View Profile

Posted: 12/17/20 02:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

Our 2008 V10 is rated for 14.5k...The new trucks with stronger engines and better transmissions should be even better.

If you aren't into drag racing up hills, the new gas trucks should do just fine and as you said, no way will you make back the up front cost of the diesel based on fuel savings.

My only hesitation with the Ford 7.3 is it's a new engine and may still be in teething mode...I would probably lean towards the Dodge unless you plan to wait a while to see how the 7.3 holds up.

Yes, this is why the RAM 6.4L is more interesting to me - it has been around a couple of years, just mated to a new transmission (but from a reportedly reputable manufacturer). The new Chevy 6.6L is not interesting to me because a) it is mated to a 6-speed and b) it is new and c) darn, the new Chevys are so ugly [emoticon]. The Ford sounds the best on paper, most HP, most torque - the only drawback for me is the absolutely lemonny experience I had with their 6.7L diesel.

ognend

South Florida

View Profile

Posted: 12/17/20 02:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IdaD wrote:

That said I'm a guy who doesn't necessarily "need" a diesel but I wanted one and don't regret the purchase at all. Even when I'm not towing I think all that torque makes for a nicer driving truck.

I respect that. I started out on possibly the best diesel year GMC ever had with their Duramax (2006) - it was a simple, stout truck. I stupidly traded it for the new shiny thing (2016 6.7L Ford) and it has been a bad experience for me. While I was never left stranded on the road with the powerstroke, I got soured to the whole "diesels last longer" and "diesels are more reliable" and "diesels are towing beasts". Yes, they are beasts but that only comes into play if you are pulling heavy loads at long distances. In my case, the diesel is not reliable at all - in fact, I don't trust it at all. I realize it is one data point but that data point happens to be - me [emoticon]. When I look at the engine of a 7.3L powerstroke from 2000, I can see why it lasted 600,000 miles and why it gave diesels the reliability name. When I look at the 6.7L today, the whole engine bay is chock full, can't throw a needle into it hoping it will hit the ground, I get the feeling that most repairs on a 2020 6.7L involve taking the cab off and half the engine off afterwards. Compare that to the 6.4L HEMI or 7.3L Godzilla, half the bay is empty, you can see everything....

wanderingaimlessly

SOBOVA

View Profile

Posted: 12/17/20 02:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kellum, If you are following this, since you have the 7.3 and the 10 speed tranny, what is your trailer weight and fuel economy? And how does the mileage compare to the older gasser?

* This post was edited 12/17/20 02:44pm by wanderingaimlessly *

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Going back to gasser based on needs (need advice)
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.