cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What the ??

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
I am planning on downsizing my class A to a B+ rv under 25 foot, was also looking at new trucks and a camper as a 2nd option, so with the price of a new F-250 to F-350 and a new camper with a slideout it would cost almost the same price as a new small class A motorhome, {$100,000+}

The BT cruiser class B+ new starts at $72,000 and has twice the room of most campers..

How in the world does the truck camper makers stay in business with these high prices..

:h
31 REPLIES 31

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
I think the sports car comparison is pretty good. My Mustang can’t really haul 4 people and cost more than a Toyota Camry new. What’s up? 😄

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sports cars can also be used to almost die in, or die in ... but with a smile on your face. 😉

Years ago my souped up MGA roadster lost a rear wheel when at speed just after coming off a twisty mountain road -> that could have cost my GF (now my DW) and myself our young lives.

Some time ago one of only two special built supercharged 427 ~800HP Shelby Cobra roadsters that Shelby's factory made for himself and Bill Cosby cost someone their life. Bill Cosby's Cobra scared him, so Bill sold it ... and the guy he sold it to died in it. Here's a photo of one of those two off-the-chart 800HP 427 roadsters:

As for pickup trucks, my 1995 Z71 factory built offroad GMC 4X4 PU is just fine. I don't need a bunch of electronic gizmos in it, or access to the Internet via it, or built-in USB 3.1 ports in it, or speed control in it, or traction control in it, or lane assist in it, or proximity control in it, or heated seats in it, or air conditioned seats in it, or a 8-10 inch built-in navigation screen in it, or etc. in it.

I bought the truck used in 1997 to do special access volunteer work in the rugged outback of a state park. I now use if for such things as hauling rocks from the rockery for our landscaping project. It does everything well, with no complaining and no steep learning curve for me every time I drive it. Here's it taking me to one of the most remote work areas in that state park:
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

Bert_the_Welder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Kayteg1 wrote:

Just kidding, but each time you start the truck in WI-FI range - it will connect with Ford service.

If that's the case, that needs to stop. You can stop it from accessing your own wifi, but if it's connecting to any old open public wifi.....
:h 1998 GMC 2500, 10.5 Okanagan, My better/smarter half, George and Finnegan(APBT), all I need.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
IMHO sport cars are for showing-off and that is all. They have use in countries, who have speed limits with 3 digits, but are POS in USA.
Go on youtube and seek Corvette crashes. Lot of those owners have absolutely no clue/ no practice how to handle performance car.
I brought convertible to Las Vegas and sold it in 2nd year as the car was usable 2-3 months a year with top down and even then, when I could go with top down in the morning, I had to put roof up at noon. Made quite a show at red light, but that was all.
With today's technology progress even 5 yo truck is dinosaur comparing to modern vehicles with 360 cameras and radars all around.
What I do not like though is that my truck is talking to headquarters from the garage, when I am sleeping in my bedroom.
Just kidding, but each time you start the truck in WI-FI range - it will connect with Ford service.

run100
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
KansasKen wrote:
versatility, truck can be used during the 85% of the time campers never leave home. ? in my mind is how average worker can afford a new f350.

Always entertaining to hear this point of view. But nothing has changed.
“Average worker” generally can’t afford a new luxury vehicle, or shouldn’t if they do buy them.
No different than my parents being average workers pay scale 30-40 years ago.
And the difference in price, adjusted for inflation isn’t much if any, if you compare somewhat apples to apples.
Yes the “average” truck does cost more than that but the power, longevity, capacities, technology all justify the greater expense.
The nicest model from 40 years ago now leaves a lot to be desired compared to just the base models of today.
It’s all in how you want to spend your money though.

The way I see it - look at the price of a Ferrari! $200-$300k, yet it's very cramped and can't even carry our truck camper. Waste of money!
I'm allowed to say that, since we own a 2-seater sports car. It's fun to drive, but not at all practical. Also, a pain in the rear to work on!

OH! I should clarify - - NO, we do not own a Ferrari! Our car is more of a "reasonbly priced" two seater! Actually, my wife bought it as a college graduation present to herself.
2012 F350,6.7L Diesel,4x4,CC,SB,SRW
2013 Lance 855S

run100
Explorer
Explorer
jimh425 wrote:
The prices are high to keep the rif-raf out. Plus when you join the TC community someone will teach you the secret handshake. 😄

Love keeping out the rif-raf! Can't get anything done when they're around! :W
2012 F350,6.7L Diesel,4x4,CC,SB,SRW
2013 Lance 855S

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
One thing to consider is that when you ride in the pickup cab, you have fully rated roll cage, properly anchored seat belts and dozen air bags, who will protect occupants in case of accidents.
Typical ClassA has no cage protecting the people and for long years they did not have air bags.
In case of any serious accident - the roof kisses the floor.
ClassC might be between, but that depends a lot on the build.

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
timmac wrote:
I am planning on downsizing my class A to a B+ rv under 25 foot, was also looking at new trucks and a camper as a 2nd option, so with the price of a new F-250 to F-350 and a new camper with a slideout it would cost almost the same price as a new small class A motorhome, {$100,000+}

The BT cruiser class B+ new starts at $72,000 and has twice the room of most campers..

How in the world does the truck camper makers stay in business with these high prices..

:h

Truck campers are specialty tools. And many don't stay in business, they make up a tiny percentage of the RV market. If you look at all the parts, they are cramming all the same parts into a smaller package. The box itself is a small part of the cost of an RV.

Now to your comparison...I question the comparison of costs you made (I'm using new prices as used prices have to many variables but like for like should follow a similar pattern):
- Class B+ may be $72k but you presumably have a separate car. Average new car price is $35k...let's say you downsize a bit and go $28k...that gives us a baseline of $100k for the motorhome option. Even if you say you aren't going to pull a toad, you still need a car for at home (A $100k class A would be $128k with toad)
- Travel Trailer: A 25ft B+ is going to have interior space roughly equivalent to a 20-23ft travel trailer and could easily be pulled by a 1/2 ton truck. It's no where close to the level of needing a 3/4 or 1 ton truck. We just bought a new 28ft trailer for $18k out the door...saw some smaller ones that we could have got for $15k. Add $35-40k for a 1/2 ton truck to pull it and you are around $50-55k and the truck can be your daily driver. Yes, it will use a little more gas but it will take many years to make up the $45-50k in up front savings.
- Truck campers really are a tough nut unless you need a tool that does what a truck camper does. Even the biggest will have a smaller living quarters and less storage than the other two options. Due to the weight unless you go incredibly tiny, you are at least into a 3/4 ton but more likely in 1 ton truck territory. On the positive side, unless you are pulling a trailer behind it, not much point in upgrading to the diesel...in fact diesel hurts as it eats up payload. So $60k for a truck plus say $40k for a modest truck camper and you are at the Class B+ price. You don't need a toad as you can use the truck for running around.

So why would someone go truck camper?
- They like to go offroad camping. Short of dedicated expedition vehicles, the others won't do nearly as well once you get away from the paved roads. Sure you can creep down a dirt road with most RVs but once things get rough, most people won't want to take their RV any further while truck campers may be happy to keep going.
- If you want to tow something like a boat. Double towing with a travel trailer is illegal in most states (5th wheels are more doable). With a MH, you have the choice of toad or toy.

There are probably a couple other use cases that could be argued but it's mostly a specialty tool.

Yes when you add in the tow car it does cost more than a new truck/camper if the truck and camper are not the high end, something to consider on my decision, not a fan of crawling in bed and getting up and down at night, I have owned a truck camper many years ago and they are far better today than they were 30 years ago..

Plus insurance would be less.

riah
Explorer
Explorer
TC's appeal to people that camp but also need to trailer their horse(s), boats, etc.
(I know in our case initially, it was because I wanted to camp with my horse and so it was the only option.)

Although, I agree that the pricing is whacked - and pretty pricy, especially when you get into the slide outs and loaded option models.

Also, the marketing of the four season models for the AF990 at least for the year we have (2003) seems more hype than actual reality. I was expecting more insulation and some sort of efficient heating system in the tank areas, etc, but it's just passing the heat from the propane furnace when it's in use to the tank area - otherwise it's just the ambient air temp and pretty negligible insulation, as far as I can tell.

BradW
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wake Up America
2019 Lance 1062 and 2018 F-350 CC PSD 4X4 DRW
Tembrens, Rear Roadmaster Sway Bar, Torklift 48" Extention and 30K Superhitch
Our New Lance 1062 Truck Camper Unloading at Dealer Photos

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wow ... you guys are right-on about being amazed at today's truck prices!

I guess I'll keep our relatively small 24ft. Class C motorhome for a long time. It's built on a rugged Ford E450 chassis, has non-stock-size larger diameter M&S 10 ply tires on it for improved ground clearance and traction, 45 gal of FW, 39 gal of BW, 29 gal of GW, 18 gal of propane, 230AH of AGM batteries, and 4000W of built-in generator power - plus two permanent queen beds, one temporary full size bed, a dinette area, a lounge chair, an outside entertainment system, an outside shower, and a bunch of outside storage.

We don't tow, park it just about anywhere at attractions and in towns, can camp in older small campgrounds and drycamp sites, and we take it gently offroad to explore and boondock camp in complete roomy comfort.

We paid around $58K for it out the door (but oops -> that was in 2006). For hauling stuff I keep a good old GMC Z71 offroad 4X4 1/2 ton PU parked in the backyard.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
There are some new B's featured in the "2021 Hot Products" section of RV Business, and going for $150k+ built on a Benz sprinter platform. I remember looking at TCs at the Hershey show when we were shopping for the Terry and was amazed at the prices...$50-60K for a TC when our 34' Terry fully loaded was $32k....and a TC doesn't even have axles or any kind of running gear!

After re-building our Lance, I would say they're built better than the average TT though.

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
timmac wrote:

So the largest, fanciest, most top-of-the-line, high-end, truck and camper combination is more expensive than the smallest, most basic B+...

That's what you're saying?

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
IF you winter camp in the snow 4x4 truck with a TC is way more fun than dragging around a trailer. plus no exposed plumbing. Class A in ice and snow? nope. 4x4 class C probably not
2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags