cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Slider

ventrman
Explorer
Explorer
Hi. I have a 2006 Dodge Cummins Diesel. It is a short bed Truck. Is there another type oh Hitch I can use I can use other than a slider?
God Bless!
32 REPLIES 32

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Some forget there is an adapter on the kingpin using the Superglide that has to be removed in order to use a conventional hitch. Iโ€™ve also heard of them even being tack welded on , creating a bigger issue .

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Shal36 wrote:
mikeb9550 wrote:
For you guys with hitch conversions such as Anderson, Pullrite, etc., donโ€™t you worry about having your rig towed by a tow truck due to a breakdown?

No, because I can remove the adapter in about five minutes. Iโ€™m an AUH user.

And I carry the tools necessary, that is not an issue. Some have tried to make it some kind of drawback with the Andersen. Yes a five minute job .

Shal36
Explorer
Explorer
mikeb9550 wrote:
For you guys with hitch conversions such as Anderson, Pullrite, etc., donโ€™t you worry about having your rig towed by a tow truck due to a breakdown?

No, because I can remove the adapter in about five minutes. Iโ€™m an AUH user.

mikeb9550
Explorer
Explorer
Mike

2014 Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi 3.92, Hensley Arrow Hitch

2006 Jayco Jay Flight 26BHS

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Ron3rd wrote:
I'll be joining the Andersen club as soon as mine comes in from eTrailer

The fan club is growing , we are going to give That B&W fan club a run for its money :B

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
I'll be joining the Andersen club as soon as mine comes in from eTrailer
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

Crabbypatty
Explorer
Explorer
Ive seen those hitches but being new to fifth wheel towing, after pulling a TT for 14 years, I was concerned with clearance issues. The Anderson will allow full rotation so in theory, you could jack knife into the cab. We have a short bed CC and that's a concern. So my choice was the Pullrite slider. My driveway doesn't have a lot of clearance and I jack knife the Pullrite in order to back in. I need 90 degrees. I went for the Automatic slider as after towing and unhitching or dropping the weight bars in the rain on the TT's, I just wanted to spoil my self and not think about it. That said I do see the Anderson especially on commercial tows, like car trailer transports. So they must be very good hitches as well and easy to remove so you have a flat bed again.
John, Lisa & Tara:B:C:)
2015 F250 4x4 6.2L 6 spd 3.73s, CC Short Bed, Pullrite Slide 2700, 648 Wts Solar, 4 T-125s, 2000 Watt Xantrax Inverter, Trimetric 2030 Meter, LED Lights, Hawkings Smart Repeater, Wilson Extreme Cellular Repeater, Beer, Ribs, Smoker

ventrman
Explorer
Explorer
I went to an Andersen Hitch Dealer. He tried to tell me it wouldn't work. I told him come on Guys. I have been a member of rv.net for 15 years. Many people love those hitches. You need to get educated about your product if you are going to sell them.
God Bless!

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
pyoung47 wrote:
I had a 05 Dodge with the Pullrite. It is the standard of comparison. You never need to enter the bed to hitch or unhitch with this unit. The handle for unhitching is accessible from outside. You do not need to latch when hitching -- that's automatic. You will need a slider of some type.

There are many that tow with an Andersen with a short bed Ram ,no slider involved . Not sure what your statements are all about , Pullrite is the standard for comparison , and you need a slider of some type.

pyoung47
Explorer
Explorer
I had a 05 Dodge with the Pullrite. It is the standard of comparison. You never need to enter the bed to hitch or unhitch with this unit. The handle for unhitching is accessible from outside. You do not need to latch when hitching -- that's automatic. You will need a slider of some type.

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
ventrman wrote:
Thanks to everyone for the advice.

You made a great choice ,I am glad the non owners did not scare you away. Kind of like a thread going on the General Rving Forum , someone asked about slide toppers ,and most of the negative comments were from those have never owned a slide topper , just read or heard about whatever was negative about them .

ventrman
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to everyone for the advice.
God Bless!

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Durb wrote:
When installing the Andersen adapter make sure the ball mount adapter on your kingpin is facing forward for additional cab clearance.

Any reason why, I have mine the opposite , putting my fifth wheel 8" closer to the cab. My previous fifth wheel I ran the adapter putting the fifth wheel further from the cab, this new fifth wheel the opposite . Reason the corners of the front cap of this new one are more rounded ,and the pin box sticks out a bit further . Although both fifth wheels towed fine in either position .I like it being just slightly forward of axle center instead of behind the axle center .

My point is , the adapter doesn't always have to be facing forward . A friend with a Ford short bed tows with the Andersen adapter putting the fifth wheel closer to the cab without a problem.

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
When installing the Andersen adapter make sure the ball mount adapter on your kingpin is facing forward for additional cab clearance.