cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Can you put diesel oil in a gas generator?

map40
Explorer
Explorer
So, can you?
Alfa SeeYa
Life rocks when your home rolls
10 REPLIES 10

olfarmer
Explorer
Explorer
While I am sure you can use diesel oil it is usually 15-40 and most gas generators call for 30W or 10W30 oil. The diesel is good oil and will not hurt the generator in warm weather but if you are in cold temps it would be better for the engine to use a lighter weight oil. JMHO
Ed & Ruby & the 2 cats
2001 Winnebago Brave 30W
7.4 gas Work Horse Chassis
99 Jeep Grand Cherokee

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Check the oil spec for the generator...as long as you choose an oil of equal or higher standard, you will be fine.

Diesel oil is typically holds a higher end spec and will cause no problem in a generator. The other way around usually doesn't work.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

lenr
Explorer II
Explorer II
Diesel oil has additives specific to diesel engines including specific to the catalytic converter used on automotive diesels. Rotella now makes oils for gas engines with different additives.

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yes in the recommended multi-viscosity for all the temperatures you plan to cold start it in or high temperatures you will run it at high loads.

The viscosity for temperatures will be shown in your manual.

Engines experience a high % of their wear from cold start to close to operating temperature - lubrication is critical on cold start.

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
My ONAN is a diesel Kobata, it takes the same oil as my Cummins.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
Not only is it OK some guys who build engines for a living will recommend it.

I run Delo 15/40 in my Onan genny.

grldst
Explorer
Explorer
I have run Rotella 15-40 (T4) in everything from my lawn mower to a 15 liter diesel without any issues. Usually diesel motor oil will have more detergent in it then oils that are recommended for gas engines.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Please clarify what you are asking.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you mean diesel fuel in a gas generator, the answer is no.
If you are talking about the engine oil, it's always better to use the specific oil recommended by the manufacturer.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

chuckftboy
Explorer
Explorer
If you mean engine oil, the answer is yes.
2019 Horizon 42Q Maxum Chassis w/tag
Cummins L-9 450 HP / Allison 3000
2006 Jeep TJ and 2011 Chevy Traverse Tows