Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Warm weather traveling
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Warm weather traveling

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 12/20/20 07:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wjschill wrote:

OP here.

Thanks for all the feedback. The DW was asking if she would be comfortable sleeping on the bed or sofa during our travels.

I figure, bouncing around while trying to sleep will be more of an issue than temperature.

Thanks again.

DW would Nap occasionally while travelling without issue. A few times I pulled out while wife and son were still asleep.

2020 F350 STX 6.7L Turbo Diesel
2020 FR Cedar Creek Silverback 29rw

Gjac

Milford, CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/20/20 09:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To give you actual numbers if I run two roof top AC's off my genset it will burn about 1 gal an hr, if you travel 60 mph and get 8 mpg it will reduce your mpg to 7 mpg. Having said that my dash AC is sufficient to keep the front cool for driving during the heat of the day. I have a curtain that I used probably twice in 15 years for really hot days. Out west once stopped for the night the temps drop pretty quickly because of the higher elevations and never use the AC. I don't go south in the summer only winter. The TV, AC's and Genset are the three things that rarely get used.

JoeH

Apollo Beach,FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/24/20 05:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

gbopp wrote:

Hang a temporary curtain behind the driver/passenger seat.
The chassis A/C will keep you cool.

That's what we used to do-- now I just run the genset

Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

PastorCharlie

NC

View Profile

Posted: 12/24/20 07:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Comfort depends upon the quality of construction. Our first MH was a Coachmen and we did have to run the house A/C during summer heat. Our current MH is a Newmar and we have never had to run the house A/C during summer. We traveled coast to coast with both. The current MH dash A/C keeps the interior comfortable while traveling.

When we built our home I had excessive amount of insulation installed, 18" in attic. With a total electric home and three bay shop with woodworking and welding shop included our electric bill is $140 a month. When one cheap out on insulation they will pay for it in increased heating and cooling bills.

Little to no insulation is one way that motorhome manufacturers cut corners due to no one being able to verify until it is too late. We discovered that the Coachmen we owned had no insulation behind many of the cabinets.

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 12/24/20 08:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Really doesn't need to be any more complicated than it is. It comes down to your comfort level. Are you hot and the dash air isn't cutting it? Then turn the rooftop air on. The use in fuel of the genset is negligible compared to wind, terrain, dash AC compressor and a million other variables. If you are hot, turn the air on. Simple.

MrWizard

Traveling

View Profile

Posted: 12/24/20 11:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes some time it is needed, chassis Air will cool the cockpit not the whole RV,
Yes you are burning gas
No it does not change "Actual" fuel mileage of the drive engine, it just LOOKS that way because of using gas for another purpose
Yes you use more gas , but that was used by the generator not the drive engine, if anything drive engine load was very slightly reduced , because the chassis AIR did not have to work as hard at cooling,
Very slightly equals maybe a few tenths of percent less load
If I got worried about the extra fuel use,
I would turn off the chassis Air, and use the generator & rooftop air , it would be warmer up front, but the MH would be cooler

Radiate The Happy

Connected using Verizon and AT&T
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Bill.Satellite

Full-timer

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/24/20 05:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If I was worried about the slight loss of fuel mileage I would know that it's time to get out of RVing. The additional fuel usage compared to the comfort received and the total cost of ownership makes this a non-issue. Do the calculations for how much fuel you would use driving an RV that gets 9 MPG and one that gets 8.5 MPG and see if that's enough reason for you to drive your RV and sweat your butt off while in uncomfortable high temperatures. 10,000 miles or less is the average RV annual mileage. YMMV!

What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

TCmart

Long Island, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/26/20 02:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On our old gasser and our newer to us diesel pusher we use the roof top air almost always. It gives us a nice comfortable trip and when we arrive at our campsite, its a quick plug in and the rig stays cool and comfortable. I found the extra fuel use negligible.

Tom and Christine
2000 Bounder 34T
Life is Good!

Bill.Satellite

Full-timer

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/26/20 05:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TCmart wrote:

On our old gasser and our newer to us diesel pusher we use the roof top air almost always. It gives us a nice comfortable trip and when we arrive at our campsite, its a quick plug in and the rig stays cool and comfortable. I found the extra fuel use negligible.

Yep!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Warm weather traveling
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.