Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Warm weather traveling
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Warm weather traveling

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 12/19/20 06:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On both our prior MH's we almost always ran the genny while underway. When travelling it's not just the sun above that increases heat, it's the engine, tranny and heat from the road. The only way to combat this is to run the rooftop air. And your passengers will thank you. The ability to use the central air, microwave, watch a movie on TV etc are all the reasons we had a MH in the first place. It's a rolling apartment and all the conveniences available at any time. Fully self sustainable with your own power plant. There is no more comfortable way to travel. Your MPG difference will be negligible, especially compared to your comfort. Frankly I never understood the curtain behind the front cabin to use the dash air and the heck with the rest of the MH. Doesn't that defeat a lot of the reasons of having a MH? And depending on where you go, it will take hours to cool the rest of the coach down when you get there. To each his own.

2020 F350 STX 6.7L Turbo Diesel
2020 FR Cedar Creek Silverback 29rw

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 12/19/20 08:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The dash air is plenty powerful enough to keep the RV cool in nearly any conditions; it's generally equivalent to two or so roof air conditioners in capacity. The problems are getting sufficient and properly directed airflow through it to use the capacity and get the cooling where you want it. One thing that seems to help with my RV is to open the rearmost roof vent (with a vent cover, of course) a little while underway in order to promote cool air moving all the way through the RV--or, in cold weather, heated air.

It certainly is possible and sometimes reasonable to run the generator and roof air conditioner while underway, too. Occasionally on very bumpy roads some generators might stumble a bit, but generally it's no problem at all.

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 12/19/20 09:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Since the generator is more efficient at producing power there have been strong arguments that the amount of fuel used by the generator to supply power to run the rooftop air is less than the drain on mpg from the engine having to run dash AC compressor. And I would like to see some statistics that the output of the dash air is greater capacity than two rooftop AC's. I struggle to find reasoning behind the logic of not using your onboard gen and Ac's, that's why they are there. If the dash air was more efficient why do you need a generator at all? Why not run the coach engine and the dash AC? The answer is simple - the dash AC is not better at cooling the coach, the rooftop air is. I know personally that when travelling in temps above 85, without the rooftop airs it would be downright miserable. No way the dash AC can cool the whole coach. Spend all that money on a MH with all the conveniences and not use them seems silly.

To the OP, this is simple. Yes you can run the genny and rooftop airs. Most folks do it all the time. The impact to MPG isn't worth the time trying to do the math. Do what makes you comfortable.

* This post was edited 12/19/20 09:33am by way2roll *

mfinnerty

Wentzville, Mo.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/19/20 10:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When we had a 24ft class C with factory air. The dash air was able to keep the cab area cool. I attributed this to the smaller glass area of the windshield and cab over bunk shielding the windshield from the sun and reducing the area to be cooled. Now in our class A there is no way that the dash air can keep the cab area cool. I attribute this to the very large windshield. We always run the gen and usually only one of the two ACs. I learned long ago not to worry about MPG when driving our house down the highway. It is what it is.

Mike & Linda Finnerty with Finn & Rosco (Golden mix brothers)

wjschill

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 12/19/20 02:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OP here.

Thanks for all the feedback. The DW was asking if she would be comfortable sleeping on the bed or sofa during our travels.

I figure, bouncing around while trying to sleep will be more of an issue than temperature.

Thanks again.

KillingTime

jeromep

Eastern Washington State

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/19/20 02:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wjschill wrote:

After traveling in a 35 foot fiver for many years, we have now started looking at class A gassers. We like to travel out west and southern locations.

My question...Do you need to run the roof a/c's while driving to keep the rv cool? If so, doesn't this mean running the genny and killing an already challenged gas mileage?

May sound like a dumb question...

Thanks

I find the impact of running the generator to run the roof A/Cs while cruising pretty minimal. Gas class As are not known for their efficiency, so running the genset while underway isn't going to make or break you at the pump.

I'm fortunate, the dash air on my rig is very good and will keep the front two passengers pretty comfortable even without the roof air running, and maybe two folks sitting on the couch or the captain's chair just behind the front passenger pretty comfortable.

I find that running one or both of my two MaxxAirs in exhaust mode while underway keeps warm air from building up in the rear of my rig. My bathroom door tends to close while we are going, so keeping the MaxxAir going in the bathroom and the MaxxAir in the kitchen running pulls sufficient air through the rig that nothing really gets too hot, even without the roof airs going.

doxiemom11

Victoria TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/19/20 04:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You wife may want to reconsider sleeping/ being unsecured during travel. Had a friend who was standing at kitchen counter making sandwiches and husband had to make a panic stop when someone pulled out in front of him. She flew forward and was wedged under the dash with a broken back. You cannot stay on your feet if something like this happens, and you will fly around even from a laying down position. Make your own decisions, but be aware it does happen.

Branson N Tucson

Tn

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/19/20 04:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The old saying, if your worrying about fuel, then maybe you need to stay on short trips.

Stim

NE Florida

View Profile

Posted: 12/19/20 09:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have had numerous motorhomes and I always used the generator with roof air and NO dash AC.
The dash AC will use more fuel than the generator plus dash AC equals more heat for the engine to dissipate and motorhomes are notorious for engine heat problems.

olfarmer

Iowa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/19/20 09:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If the weather is in the 75 to 80 degree zone, our dash air does pretty good. I usually point the air ducts at me just so it doesn't hit me in the eyes. If it is uncomfortable I run the generator and the roof air. I don't notice a big difference in the gas bill. What if it costs a little more to be comfortable, it costs money to run the AC at home too.

Ed & Ruby & the 2 cats
2001 Winnebago Brave 30W
7.4 gas Work Horse Chassis
99 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Warm weather traveling
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.