cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Electric space heaters

Curly2001
Explorer
Explorer
Just curious if anyone has a good safe electric heater to use to heat a 30' fifth wheel overnight? Would like to supplement the propane furnace on colder nights.
Thanks,
Curly
2019 Chev. Double cab 2500HD, 6.0, 4:10 diffs, six speed auto
2013 Heartland Sundance XLT 265RK
62 REPLIES 62

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
pianotuna wrote:

My favorite heat source is electric heated carpets.

I like the concept but they are relatively low-wattage per square foot. The size that would fit in a van or small RV would be 300W or less. Maybe I could fit 2 of them in.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Bumpyroad wrote:
pianotuna wrote:
Heat strips are useful down to about 40 f. If it is cold than that the air conditioner fans don't like it.

also, the semi warm air from the AC fan does not feel hot when it blows on you.
bumpy

Agree, wasted energy. Any small space heater a better choice!

Jerry

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
Heat strips are useful down to about 40 f. If it is cold than that the air conditioner fans don't like it.

also, the semi warm air from the AC fan does not feel hot when it blows on you.
bumpy

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
coolmom42 wrote:
I've always just used the basic little cube style heaters. They go to 1500 watts and 2 different fan speeds.

Don't use them with an extension cord or plug strip. Check that the tip-over cutoff works. Set them in a place where they wont' get pushed against anything cloth or plastic. They are perfectly safe.

I will add, don't set them on the floor next to the bed as they can scorch a circle on the blanket when/if it comes in contact. ๐Ÿ™‚

bumpy

Sounds like the voice of experience! I always make sure they are on a hard surface away from combustibles, both in the RV and at home.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Curly2001 wrote:
I was also thinking about a heat strip in the A/C. We had an old Terry that had a heat strip and it was really good. Was old enough that we didn't have duct work but came out of the bottom of the A/C unit. Took the chill off and you didn't run the furnace. Do they still make them?
Curly

since they put out so little heat, much is lost if you have to heat up ductwork, etc. of limited value.
bumpy

Curly2001
Explorer
Explorer
I was also thinking about a heat strip in the A/C. We had an old Terry that had a heat strip and it was really good. Was old enough that we didn't have duct work but came out of the bottom of the A/C unit. Took the chill off and you didn't run the furnace. Do they still make them?
Curly
2019 Chev. Double cab 2500HD, 6.0, 4:10 diffs, six speed auto
2013 Heartland Sundance XLT 265RK

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
Lots of discussion here. :h

I only use ceramic heaters that have a tip over switch, easy to check to make sure it works.

Also have added separate wiring and plugs that hook up to the 15 amp outlet on the pedestal.

How easy is that?

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
Hi,

I would avoid digitally controlled heaters. If the power "blips" they may turn off.

thanks, I didn't think of that.
but at least they wouldn't blink "12:00" ๐Ÿ™‚
bumpy

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Bert,

I have a thermostatically controlled 600 watt heater in my waste tanks enclosure. They are under the bed, so I'm not too concerned about insulation.

I do have a heated mattress pad--and highly recommend them for cold winter nights. My battery bank is sufficient to run them all night.

From a TC point of view, yes insulation under the mattress may be useful. One would have to make sure that the surface didn't drop below the dew point.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Bert_the_Welder
Explorer II
Explorer II
rhagfo wrote:

Mattress pad heaters go on top of the mattress, not under it. They are just under the sheets.

Ah.
Well, the foam board under the mattress will still make a difference and worth doing. I'm talking from a TC perspective, anyhow.
:h 1998 GMC 2500, 10.5 Okanagan, My better/smarter half, George and Finnegan(APBT), all I need.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bert the Welder wrote:
pianotuna wrote:
theoldwizard1,

I think the brand name was something like "tempertek" for the electric heated carpets.

Found it!

https://www.tempurtechmanufacturing.com/

Do you have foam board or reflectix under your bed?
We put 1" blue foam board under our mattress. Wow, what a difference!!
I ask as, if putting a heat pad under the mattress, insulation under it would put more heat to the side you want it on.

Mattress pad heaters go on top of the mattress, not under it. They are just under the sheets.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Bert_the_Welder
Explorer II
Explorer II
pianotuna wrote:
theoldwizard1,

I think the brand name was something like "tempertek" for the electric heated carpets.

Found it!

https://www.tempurtechmanufacturing.com/

Do you have foam board or reflectix under your bed?
We put 1" blue foam board under our mattress. Wow, what a difference!!
I ask as, if putting a heat pad under the mattress, insulation under it would put more heat to the side you want it on.
:h 1998 GMC 2500, 10.5 Okanagan, My better/smarter half, George and Finnegan(APBT), all I need.

Bert_the_Welder
Explorer II
Explorer II
rhagfo wrote:
2oldman wrote:
theoldwizard1 wrote:
Also, heated mattress pads work much better than heated blankets,
They do, as heat rises. My heater keeps my feet nice and toasty on the next to lowest setting even on the coldest nights. I'm not talking pianotuna cold, but 40ยฐ or lower.

40 degrees is cold we get down to the mid-tees at times. We also use heated mattress pad. Pianotunaโ€™s heated carpet sounds interesting, warm feet!!

Tuna is Canadian. If I'm not mistaken, he's taking -40 degrees C.....not 40 deg. F....... ๐Ÿ™‚

I believe "Saskatchewan" in the the local native language means "Who's the idiot that thought this Popsicle stand was a good place to settle"